610 Adventure: So-much-drama-in-the-LBC edition

Joel

I don't know if it was already a salvage title before I got my hands on it--there was a frontal crash at some point in its life, just don't know if it was written off or not. But this morning, the 610 was declared a Total Loss, because...

I need to have my radiator rebuilt, and since it leaks the Datsun's my car of choice for local running around so I can keep it running without overheating it. Anyway, I went with a friend to Chipotle last night about 5 blocks from my apartment. Coming home I saw a car waiting to turn onto the street I was on, and then the next light was red so I stopped. The car I saw pulled out and proceeded to not stop for the line of cars waiting for the light to turn green, with my 610 at the back of the line. I was able to stop us without hitting the SUV in front of me. Made sure my passenger and I were ok, got out, checked the damage to see if we could safely drive into the parking lot we were next to, told the other driver to follow me into the lot, and he said fine. Got back into my car and started pulling into the right turn lane, and the guy pulled around my left side and took off through the yellow-turning-red light!

**OH NO HE DIT-TEN!!!**

He in fact did, so I nosed out into the intersection, made sure cross traffic stopped, pulled through the red light, and wrangled together all 95 of my horses and floored it through the traffic circle. Yelled to my passenger to call the cops, and pulled up close enough to read the license plate by the time we had gotten another block or so past the circle. At the next light I pulled up on his right side and yelled that I had his plate number. "Ok I'm pulling over right now!" Right... I've heard that one before... about 30 seconds ago... I didn't care if he stopped at this point since I had his plate number, and he parks his lime green gaudily kitted mid-90s Camry across from the police station every day. All I would've had to do is go back the next day, point across the street at the sore ugly thumb that was sticking out, and tell them that the idiot owner hit me and took off last night. It didn't come to that though; this time he followed me as I turned onto the side street and pulled over.

The cops showed up within 5 minutes, and I was probably a little too merciful with him, because I told them he initially fled the scene, but did pull over so I wasn't going to hold it against him. He claimed the registration and insurance info were in the mail, and a few minutes later a police tow truck showed up and he started freaking out asking whose car was being towed. I told him I hadn't called for a tow yet, and it turned out his license was suspended, so his sweet ride got impounded. And for a little salt in the wound his rear bumper got jacked up while it was being pulled onto the flatbed, which made me smile. I had my car towed to a body shop immediately so there couldn't be any question as to what damage was or wasn't accident-related, went home, watched The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (hilarious and depressing all at the same time...), and went to bed. Went to the shop before work today, and without hardly looking at it, the guy said it'll be a total loss, which I was expecting considering the age, rarity of parts, and overall value of the car. On the positive side, aesthetically the damage really isn't that bad--no buckles in the rear quarters, the bumper looks ok from the rear but tweaked forward from the side, and the trunk rattles a lot. Considering the front end damage that I bought the car with is worse than the rear damage is right now, the plan is to take the insurance payout and buy it back.

So, quick recap: got rear-ended, guy fled, I chased/caught him, his car got impounded, my 610's technically totaled but really not that bad off, and I'm going to re-buy/keep it. I'm thankful things ended up as well as they did.

Here's the car in question, pre-crash; I'll have post-crash pics probably this weekend--not very light out by the time I get home from work:

610Vintage.jpg

100_5380.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could have been worse

DSC04151.jpg

find a body shop that will fix it dont let them jerk you around saying its a "total loss" fight for it and get it fixed right i know what car this is and it was a nice car worth saving fuck insurance companies

Wow...what a story. I am familiar with the car, and I feel bad for all that has happened to you. I am glad your passenger and yourself are both okay...As for the Camry owner, I say SUE! And not for the fact that we Californians are sue happy...more to set a precendence. This clown will simply continue to do what he does, but a blemish on his driving record will give him more grief in the long run...

One update--the guy was able to get me his insurance info today. I won't be able to do anything with it until the middle of next week, have to fly out to the midwest for a few days for some familytime.

Has anyone had experience buying back and registering a car after it's been written off as totaled? It's fully functional, aside from the trunk latch/panel needing adjustment, so I'd quite like to keep it on the road.

Bonvo that yellow 610 is depressing...

One update--the guy was able to get me his insurance info today. I won't be able to do anything with it until the middle of next week, have to fly out to the midwest for a few days for some familytime.

Has anyone had experience buying back and registering a car after it's been written off as totaled? It's fully functional, aside from the trunk latch/panel needing adjustment, so I'd quite like to keep it on the road.

yeah ive bought a car back from the insurance company i told them "fuck you and your total loss bullshit im keeping my car" i then fixed it drove it for 6 months then the above pic happened

yes it is depressing i damn near killed me in more then one way when it happened

Up here in Washington when the insurance co. totals a car the title must be returned to the DMV, but if your keeping it they will re-issue a branded title to you without an inspection, but there are lots of little loop holes and exceptions. I bought a totaled sentra SE-R from an insurance auction, title was already turned in to the DMV. after the state patrol inspection I was issued a clean title! just ask lots of questions through out the whole process.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it was already a salvage title before I got my hands on it--there was a frontal crash at some point in its life, just don't know if it was written off or not. But this morning, the 610 was declared a Total Loss, because...

I need to have my radiator rebuilt, and since it leaks the Datsun's my car of choice for local running around so I can keep it running without overheating it. Anyway, I went with a friend to Chipotle last night about 5 blocks from my apartment. Coming home I saw a car waiting to turn onto the street I was on, and then the next light was red so I stopped. The car I saw pulled out and proceeded to not stop for the line of cars waiting for the light to turn green, with my 610 at the back of the line. I was able to stop us without hitting the SUV in front of me. Made sure my passenger and I were ok, got out, checked the damage to see if we could safely drive into the parking lot we were next to, told the other driver to follow me into the lot, and he said fine. Got back into my car and started pulling into the right turn lane, and the guy pulled around my left side and took off through the yellow-turning-red light!

**OH NO HE DIT-TEN!!!**

He in fact did, so I nosed out into the intersection, made sure cross traffic stopped, pulled through the red light, and wrangled together all 95 of my horses and floored it through the traffic circle. Yelled to my passenger to call the cops, and pulled up close enough to read the license plate by the time we had gotten another block or so past the circle. At the next light I pulled up on his right side and yelled that I had his plate number. "Ok I'm pulling over right now!" Right... I've heard that one before... about 30 seconds ago... I didn't care if he stopped at this point since I had his plate number, and he parks his lime green gaudily kitted mid-90s Camry across from the police station every day. All I would've had to do is go back the next day, point across the street at the sore ugly thumb that was sticking out, and tell them that the idiot owner hit me and took off last night. It didn't come to that though; this time he followed me as I turned onto the side street and pulled over.

The cops showed up within 5 minutes, and I was probably a little too merciful with him, because I told them he initially fled the scene, but did pull over so I wasn't going to hold it against him. He claimed the registration and insurance info were in the mail, and a few minutes later a police tow truck showed up and he started freaking out asking whose car was being towed. I told him I hadn't called for a tow yet, and it turned out his license was suspended, so his sweet ride got impounded. And for a little salt in the wound his rear bumper got jacked up while it was being pulled onto the flatbed, which made me smile. I had my car towed to a body shop immediately so there couldn't be any question as to what damage was or wasn't accident-related, went home, watched The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (hilarious and depressing all at the same time...), and went to bed. Went to the shop before work today, and without hardly looking at it, the guy said it'll be a total loss, which I was expecting considering the age, rarity of parts, and overall value of the car. On the positive side, aesthetically the damage really isn't that bad--no buckles in the rear quarters, the bumper looks ok from the rear but tweaked forward from the side, and the trunk rattles a lot. Considering the front end damage that I bought the car with is worse than the rear damage is right now, the plan is to take the insurance payout and buy it back.

So, quick recap: got rear-ended, guy fled, I chased/caught him, his car got impounded, my 610's technically totaled but really not that bad off, and I'm going to re-buy/keep it. I'm thankful things ended up as well as they did.

Here's the car in question, pre-crash; I'll have post-crash pics probably this weekend--not very light out by the time I get home from work:

610Vintage.jpg

100_5380.jpg

hahah i live in long beach right at spring and bellflower and ive seen that camry parked across the street from the police station on the diagonal. that thing is ugly as crap!!

• 1 month later...

hahah i live in long beach right at spring and bellflower and ive seen that camry parked across the street from the police station on the diagonal. that thing is ugly as crap!!

Woah, a local! Have a Datsun I should keep an eye out for/wave to?

I have a final update on the 610... Finally got some news from the insurance company in January. Worked out very well, actually. As I said earlier the car came out of the crash pretty well--just a loose trunk latch, tweaked bumper, and more of an exhaust leak than before. I received the settlement, and it pretty much reimbursed me for the car, and there was no change in title since they settled rather than totaling it. I've since sold the car to a friend who lives in Fallbrook, and planned to put money from the sale toward an FR-S down payment. And then my room mate found a decent condition '77 200SX that had to be bought... that's in a thread in the "Other Datsuns" section... I didn't really want to get away from Datsuns, but now it seems I can't even if I try.