Thermostat

I learned something new today. My 510 runs a hell of a lot better when it gets to normal operating temp. I think the old one was stuck open cuz the car would never warm-up & ran like shit. Hard to believe a change in temp. could make such a difference :cool:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stuck a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator on a 521 in the winter.

If a 521 in good shape will not overheat going up Cabbage Hill east of Pendleton, OR. in 95 degree heat, pulling a two horse trailer, with two horses, you can give up a little cooling capacity in the winter.

OK, I did turn the heater on part way up the hill, but once on top, I turned the heater back off.

If you need a 165 thermostat to prevent overheating in the summer you have a cooling problem that needs to be fixed. Putting the wrong thermostat in is not 'fixing' anything.

The L20B and the Ls before it were engineered to work (give best performance, economy, low emissions, and length of life) at 180-190 degrees. The engine will 'boil off' condensation inside it more readily if properly warmed up. My L18 when I got it would only come up one needle width when warmed up and it ran fine. The thermostat seal was 37 years old and warped with multiple small openings around the edge and looked like this...

Coolingsystemtuneup002Large.jpg

I put a proper 185 in it and found it drove better. Was more responsive to throttle input . It's an automatic so is in gear and low RPMs on every start. I found it pulled stronger and smoother around town. Likely the mileage improved a lot as well but I didn't have a base reading to compare it to.

I have a Beck Arnley 195 thermostat in my L20B. I put it in when I did my headgasket, as I found it on close out for $1.95 from the place I ordered my HG stuff from. Normal price was $20 or so, I think. It runs better, gets better mileage, warms up faster, AND the heater works A TON better in the Winter. I came from a 180 degree thermostat, and there is a noticeable difference. I leave it in there year-round. It might run a little warm sometimes in the Summer, but I don't overheat. As you stated, it's a worthy change.

• 2 weeks later...