truck making noise???

1lo620

Ok I am sure that this is probly in the wrong spot, But I am sure Steve, or Mike can move it to the right spot...

Ok I finally got the chop top I have on the road, it is still a work in progress, But it is running..YA! So know it started to make this real hi pitched wine...I thought it was a losse alternater belt, because that is what it sounded like..But I think it might be clutch/tranny related..It only does it when I am driving. And when I stopped I revered up the engine and no noise....So could it be the throw out bearing going tits up??? AHHH? Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not release bearing as it's not in use when driving, only when the clutch peddle is to the floor. Has to be from the transmission back.

I would cut to the chase and check the tranny and rear end oil. The plug is about half way up the side of the 4 or 5 speed just behind the reverse light switch. If not there, it's directly opposite on the other side.

Passenger side:

FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

Next I would inspect the U-joints. They can squeal when dry.

I had been driving it around most of the afternoon, and then it just started to do it....So when I check gear oil, it should be about to where the filler hole is.. I just put gear oil in it before I started to drive it....What is the correct amount.....? in standard measurements not metric!! I thought it 3 quarts .,...Damn I hope I didnt screw up my tranny!!!

I really need to learn how to work on cars...!!! lol! But I guess that is what mechanics are for!!!

I will play around with it a bit more today...I only drove it a few miles after it started to make the noise....The rear end has gear oil...I will check the level on the tranny I think it is ok though...I will check brakes and all that ,...I will test drive again and see what happens and repost..thx

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am about to roll this damn truck down a hill without me in it. So I finally get time to go see if I can figure out what the noice is and now it wont start. Fuel filter was pretty dirty, so I changed it out, but still no fuel. So I figure either I am sucking crap up from the bottom of my tank a nd clogging the fuel line or fuel pump is shot...check that tomorrow. AHHH!!!