title problems

Just found a 1970 2 door 510 near me for sale. One MAJOR problem is the owner has a title but it is not in his name. he is selling it as a parts/race car. Is there any way that i can get this thing titled to me so i can drive it on the street.

i was way let down when he told me that the title was not in his name. i did get a chub when i saw the PL51 in the model on the title though.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found a 1970 2 door 510 near me for sale. One MAJOR problem is the owner has a title but it is not in his name. he is selling it as a parts/race car. Is there any way that i can get this thing titled to me so i can drive it on the street.

i was way let down when he told me that the title was not in his name. i did get a chub when i saw the PL51 in the model on the title though.

i posted in your other thread about this car. i would say having the title is a pretty good deal. see if the seller will go to the dmv with you to speed up the transfer. ive bought cars in wa state that were not registered to that particular owner. seems there are alot of flakes that do not want to pay for registration. :angry:

Is it the 510 in upper south carolina? I was more upset than you. I called the guy 5 minutes after the ad appeared, and was first in line!!! This was a tuesday, and I was to go buy it the following saterday. Friday night, he told me about the title thing. I was mad and deflated. I dont think there is any bull shit involved, just him not having it makes me worry about titleing(sp) it. But in Gerogia, just a bill of sale is good. Didnt want to get money tied up in a car I might not get back on the street.

Good Luck

Jeff

Here in california, having no title or a title that isnt in the owners name really isnt a big deal. Dmv has you send a cerified letter trying to contact the owner thats on file, then you fill out a paper saying how you acquired the vehicle. Easy. None of my 510's came with titles so far.

thanks guys. i will call the DMV on monday

Does the current holder of the vehicle have the signed off title and his bill of sale? This is no problem in wa. state, and it does not even matter what state the vehicle is from, I have dealt with way worse and walked out free and clear. If they have a bill of sale, and you have a bill of sale from them, then there is no problem here in wa. Problems start occuring when a vehicle is removed from land without any paperwork or title, the type of paperwork needed when removing a vehicle from a landowners property, will include a signiture of a police officer/or equivalent on a abandonded vehicle form, otherwise you have to wait 3 years in wa.

Does the current holder of the vehicle have the signed off title and his bill of sale? This is no problem in wa. state, and it does not even matter what state the vehicle is from, I have dealt with way worse and walked out free and clear. If they have a bill of sale, and you have a bill of sale from them, then there is no problem here in wa. Problems start occuring when a vehicle is removed from land without any paperwork or title, the type of paperwork needed when removing a vehicle from a landowners property, will include a signiture of a police officer/or equivalent on a abandonded vehicle form, otherwise you have to wait 3 years in wa.

What he said...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this same problem and fixed it easy. i just bought the car and registered the car in their name and mailed to my address. In Missouri you can have the title sent anywhere you want. I have a po box, so i always say that i receive all my mail at the po box. Then when the title comes in the mail o sign the other guys name off and "sell"the car to myself and mail it to my home address.,

I have to pay the dmv fees twice, but i don't have to worry about depending on or trusting the last owner.