l head on z engine

Zfighter76

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go look at wildmaninid's build thread. He has a ka 620. So does redeye (mod).

Can't forget Icehouse's.

Now if yours is fast(er than a KA24E), what's the problem?

Why fix whats not broke?

Did you get beat by something you didn't want to while street racing?

:P

Can't forget Icehouse's.

Why fix whats not broke?

Icehouse's 620 is now Redeye's... So technically he has 2 ka 620s...

well ive raced 2 sohc 240sx in my bug when i had my 1776 with dual 34 icts and a mild cam and i won, and i think my truck is faster, or about equal, to what my bug is. i know a ka24de will smoke it but the ka24 e's ive seen are kinda slow, maybe they were just beat to hell, but they barely squeeked the tires off the line. they were stock, and im in cali so they had all the smog equipment

Can't forget Icehouse's.

Why fix whats not broke?

ive only raced the truck against a miata so far. :D but thats not even a fair race, its a miata, they slow

Guest kamakazi620

well ive raced 2 sohc 240sx in my bug when i had my 1776 with dual 34 icts and a mild cam and i won, and i think my truck is faster, or about equal, to what my bug is. i know a ka24de will smoke it but the ka24 e's ive seen are kinda slow, maybe they were just beat to hell, but they barely squeeked the tires off the line. they were stock, and im in cali so they had all the smog equipment

A ka24e is 15 hp less than ka24de so saying their slow is bsd maybe the 240sxs you raced had 300 tho or dunbass you were racing cant drive

i didnt mean to say that its super slow or anything, just not super quick. the one ka24de i raced was fresh and healthy and i know the guy and it is definately fast, but the ka24e cars i raced did look pretty beat (mismatched wheels, dented body panels, etc. ) and im sure they had over 200k mi at least. but then again most of the 240s around here are super beat. its amazing what a simple tune up can do power wise and i doubt these cars had had one in a long time haha. but yeah im sure in strong, healthy condition they would be fast. i was mainly commenting towards this comment when i said sohc 240s are slow.

A KA swap will be cheaper than any option you're putting down.

A beat KA will stomp any of these options as well.

i doubt a beat ka is that fast.

I just picked up a LZ21. z22 block with a A87 peanut chamber head. the local stock car guys used this combo back in the day and its supposed to scream. I have not run it yet so we will see, but I say it's worth a try if you know what your doin and do your research. It seams like everyone is doing KA swaps these days. go old school! but if you do decide to go KA sell me your sidedrafts:P

I just picked up a LZ21. z22 block with a A87 peanut chamber head. the local stock car guys used this combo back in the day and its supposed to scream. I have not run it yet so we will see, but I say it's worth a try if you know what your doin and do your research. It seams like everyone is doing KA swaps these days. go old school! but if you do decide to go KA sell me your sidedrafts:P

i like carbs and the way they sound and how they open up when you activate lead foot mode, and i reallly dont wanna go efi because i cant work on it and i dont like paying people to do work. the a87 peanut chamber head is an l serries head yes? and i wonder how that would work with the z20 block? i bet it would still be similarly fast. let me know how it works out, and post pics if you can. is that from an l16 or an l20? and yeah, i like keepin it old school, though i never lived through those times haha

Wouldn't a Z22 with peanut head be an LZ22?

Z22 with peanut head is 10.48 compression, not really street able I think.

Z20S with peanut head is about 8.9 same as the L20B with peanut. *this assumes a small Z head chamber and a big dish piston similar to the L20B

Z20E (flattops) with peanut would be 10.68

The A87 can be found on all different L motors, some are peanuts and some are not, and it's not the only possible peanut chamber head.:blink: there is a L series head decoder at olddatsuns.com that is invaluable when searching, just don't get the "210" head. it only came stock on the L16 and has small ports and valves and the chamber is to small i think for what you want to do.

Wouldn't a Z22 with peanut head be an LZ22?

Z22 with peanut head is 10.48 compression, not really street able I think.

Z20S with peanut head is about 8.9 same as the L20B with peanut. *this assumes a small Z head chamber and a big dish piston similar to the L20B

Z20E (flattops) with peanut would be 10.68

i doubt i have flattops but i dont know since ive never had the head off yet, but i think the bottom end is stock. and so 8.9 compression would be a little lower than im looking for, what if i would use a peanut head on my engine with stock pistons but milled down the surface of the head a llittle? i wouldnt mind having to run premium fuel, and 9.7 compression would be fine with me, i dont mind un-streetable either. ill make it work on the street.

how else would i raise compression?????????

JB Weld the top of the pistons.

can the tensioners make up for the head shaving? NO!!!!!

or also adding shims for the rockers and just adjusting the valves to suit that or different lash caps? then you might not change the cam to valve distance . NOOOOO???

Thats why the cam tower shims.

http://www.silver-seal.com/results.cgis?catalog=&keywords=datsun+shim&x=12&y=7

8.9 comp ration is fine for the street. Dont worry about it.

The accepted compression number for a well tuned motor using aluminum crossflow design head(s) is 10.5/1~

for cast iron it's 9.5/1. It'd be more trouble than it's worth trying to get an L-head to run that high, cuz the adjacent in/ex ports "share" too much heat. Best of luck with detonation issues if you do~

johnstewart_facepalm.gif

Now why is this quote here, you ask? Cuz it's the very face I made when you stated a KA's faster than a late model Mustang GT. Mine would go nearly faster than any California posted speed limit sign in second gear, just break 100 in third, and I buried the speedo better'n a half inch past the 140 mark in the Nevada desert summer b4 last~ But it was just the "base model" GT, equipped with only 3.42 gears~ so I'm sure it'd have been quicker and faster w/3.73's. So maybe you're right, a KA just might've taken me~ from the 0-20 foot mark....:lol: