l head on z engine

Zfighter76

The accepted compression number for a well tuned motor using aluminum crossflow design head(s) is 10.5/1~

for cast iron it's 9.5/1. It'd be more trouble than it's worth trying to get an L-head to run that high, cuz the adjacent in/ex ports "share" too much heat. Best of luck with detonation issues if you do~

Now why is this quote here, you ask? Cuz it's the very face I made when you stated a KA's faster than a late model Mustang GT. Mine would go nearly faster than any California posted speed limit sign in second gear, just break 100 in third, and I buried the speedo better'n a half inch past the 140 mark in the Nevada desert summer b4 last~ But it was just the "base model" GT, equipped with only 3.42 gears~ so I'm sure it'd have been quicker and faster w/3.73's. So maybe you're right, a KA just might've taken me~ from the 0-20 foot mark....:lol:

i dont know man, when i raced an s14 240sx with a ka24de dohc with headers, 3 inch exhaust, and an intake and a tune in a 2005 honda accord v6 with vtec we were barely ahead of it at 60 (after 6 seconds) and it was like that way from the start. and we beat 5.0 fox body mustangs consistantly, with exhausts, intakes, and one with everything stock and a tune. i know theyre quick but im saying that a lightly modded dohc ka24 and a honda accord 2005 is quicker... maybe your mustang is modded in some way or has a better tune :thumbup:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how else would i raise compression?????????

JB Weld the top of the pistons.

can the tensioners make up for the head shaving? NO!!!!!

or also adding shims for the rockers and just adjusting the valves to suit that or different lash caps? then you might not change the cam to valve distance . NOOOOO???

Thats why the cam tower shims.

http://www.silver-seal.com/results.cgis?catalog=&keywords=datsun+shim&x=12&y=7

8.9 comp ration is fine for the street. Dont worry about it.

it just seems like lifting the cam higher away from the rockers would make it effectively press down less on them. wouldnt you have to raise the rockers too? im sure you know more than me i just wanna know why.

Where are these "races" happening?

Do these people know that you're racing them?

the person with the 240sx is a guy i used to work with, and the mustangs are ones we find on the street at night, also looking to race haha. seems like the only people interested in racing on the streets are fox body mustang guys. and people with audis haha. the honda kids never wanna race.

the person with the 240sx is a guy i used to work with, and the mustangs are ones we find on the street at night, also looking to race haha. seems like the only people interested in racing on the streets are fox body mustang guys. and people with audis haha. the honda kids never wanna race.

or irresponsible kids.

Sure-we've all done dumb stuff when we were younger.

Some of us still do dumb things...but really?

What's next?

Almost squishing a Beetle while driving a Dodge Hemi Half-Ton while it's snowing?

or irresponsible kids.

Sure-we've all done dumb stuff when we were younger.

Some of us still do dumb things...but really?

What's next?

Almost squishing a Beetle while driving a Dodge Hemi Half-Ton while it's snowing?

i honestly dont know what point youre trying to make, that im young? thats a given, that im going to crash into a beetle whilst driving a dodge hemi truck? (i would only drive a turbo deisel dodge fyi) and that i drive in the snow? (im from so cal(no snow). youre just talking and in no way helping my question get answered. thanks for your input though.

and thanks to everyone else who is answering my questions, very helpful. so if i can find a peanut head, the front half of an l20(pulleys, tensioners, valve cover, chain, etc.) i can have an 8.9 cr with an l head or in the case that i have a z20e i would have 10.68 cr and then i should do what to lower my cr? put a non peanut on? what would be the best combo with a z20s and a z20e using the stock bottom end, or in other words best head:block combo for both of the engines? im a little confused due to the lack of head names on that calculator, it seems to just say l16, l18, l20, and doesnt have peanut or a87.

i honestly dont know what point youre trying to make,

or irresponsible kids.

Really? You can't tell the point I'm making? Really?

Street racing is dangerous and irresponsible...

but you've already proven you have zero regard for everyone else, multiple times. In this thread and others.

Do you know what point I'm trying to make now?

youre just talking and in no way helping my question get answered.

Really?

Did you forget the first page of this thread already?

Where I was answering all of your questions.

Really?

If you don't get it, fine. Keep researching.**

Your shit's repetitive, and I'm a hypocrite.

and thanks to everyone else who is answering my questions, very helpful. so if i can find a peanut head, the front half of an l20(pulleys, tensioners, valve cover, chain, etc.) i can have an 8.9 cr with an l head or in the case that i have a z20e i would have 10.68 cr and then i should do what to lower my cr? put a non peanut on? what would be the best combo with a z20s and a z20e using the stock bottom end, or in other words best head:block combo for both of the engines? im a little confused due to the lack of head names on that calculator, it seems to just say l16, l18, l20, and doesnt have peanut or a87.

These have been answered in this thread already.

Please refer to ** above.

Not all that are new get the spoon.

What's next?

This was actually a burn on a different member. Not you.

Reading all the forum, technical and fuckery, would have given you the point I was making with this.

I used to have thin skin.

But that has passed.

But now I stand by the time clock, waiting for the whistle to blow.

#14, reporting for duty.

Grab your popcorn-Ima create more red x's than a crossed-eyed pirates treasure map.

Your court.

it just seems like lifting the cam higher away from the rockers would make it effectively press down less on them. wouldnt you have to raise the rockers too? im sure you know more than me i just wanna know why.

The rocker arms are adjustable.

You have multi carbs on a cross flow head with (almost) HEMI shaped combustion chambers and dual spark plugs. I'd stick with it instead of an L head that also needs a multi carb manifold. Raising the compression make more efficient use of the heat energy contained in the fuel but it isn't THAT much. Going top 10 to 1 is something like 7% increase or something.

This is another racing thing that does not translate well for use on the street. You know like 3" exhaust, headers or spoilers, ok on a race car over 85, but along for the ride on a street car. Racers go to any expense or bother for an extra 3-4 horse power because winning is winning and even a single hp could make the difference. On the street, no one is going to notice (or care) you spent $200 to gain 4 hp. And for that you get to buy premium gas forever to prevent detonation that shortens the life of your motor.

im not trying to bag on you or anything, and i realize that you did have some input on this, but it seems every single thread i start to ask questions seems to end up withh rude remarks from you, and i didnt understand your comment about the bug and the truck, cool it. i know i do some irresponsible things but who doesnt and its not like im racing to 1009834u28943019 mph, i go to 50 or 60 and thats it, barely over the speed limit, and on the freeway its not. this will sound cliche but if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it. you use all these sayings and terms and pictures to make people think you should be listened to or something i dont know, its not impressing me, how about once ive asked the question, you can answer it if you will and once youve done that then go do something else. and keep your red x's to yourself captain.

after market cam have a different base circle size. or are regrinds thats why they need lash pads and most begin around 150 to 160 size.

also if head is shaved. valve seats and valves cut or valave stem cut all changes the lash pad size.

get the How to Race your datsun or How to Build a race L motor and its all in there.

KA use buckets as their valve system is different. all their cam I see are new and assume the base circle is cut appriopratly