l head on z engine

Zfighter76

sorry if this is repetitive but the search feature was tripping out on me. im basically wanting to know what i need to put an l series head on a z20 block. also what l series is best to put on and what kind of compression itll have. ive heard the l20 heads dont work, so l16 would be best? thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That L16 is worthless to you, unless it has a good head on it.

Remember...

Many of different heads can be found on the L16.

Many of different heads can be found on the L20B.

Just saying L-series head means nothing.

Telling us you just found a clean U67 in the SY is a different story.

Unless that Z20 you put in there already died don't mess with it. If down the road you want to go back to an L head get a Z22 or Z24 bottom end and go for it. Just remember that when you go back to the L head you should also go back to L engine mounts, oil pan, and transmission bellhousing.

Last I heard on your build thread it was running good so run it.

Keep in mind that the L16 and L18 have a shorter deck height (207.85) Verses the L20, Z20 and Z22 at 227.45 making the timing cover too short to use on an L20.

As FlatCat said, see what head is on your L16 before you go tossing it.

To put the L20 head on your Z20 you will need to find a L20 timing cover at least. Not sure about the distributor.

Check out the link that MM posted above. Lot of GREAT info there.

Here is something else you may find helpfull. Keep in mind your head gasket CRUSHED thickness will be 1.2mm

the engine runs great, but i wanna be able to put a massive cam on it and ive heard that putting an l16 head on a z 20 will make high compression. i dont know all the specs on the different heads and all but does anyone have any ideas on to what head combo with the z20 would work well? and my l16 head is fucked beyong repair. it was sitting for 25 years and the water in the head had electrolysis going on and the manifold and head got eaten away really bad. water jackets exposed and valve seats compromised

the engine runs great, but i wanna be able to put a massive cam on it and ive heard that putting an l16 head on a z 20 will make high compression. i dont know all the specs on the different heads and all but does anyone have any ideas on to what head combo with the z20 would work well? and my l16 head is fucked beyong repair. it was sitting for 25 years and the water in the head had electrolysis going on and the manifold and head got eaten away really bad. water jackets exposed and valve seats compromised

Again...

The heads found on any of the L4's can vary.

Casting is a huge help.

Since any L4 head can fit any L4 motor, specifics are needed.

Also, what pistons are in your Z motor?

A peanut head will raise compression beyond usable due to detonation.

I'm gonna play Hainz for a minute.

olddatsuns.com. read it.

so i messed with the calculator and using everything stock from the z20 i have, with the l20 head called the v91, and pistons from an rb30, i make just about 9.5:1 which sounds like a good plan. so i cannot use the timing chain or valve cover or tensioners or pulleys or anything from the l16 then? should i just buy an l20 to take parts off of? and can i find an l20b v91 readily?

Playing with the calculator is not always accurate.

A Z20E block and internals with Z22 pistons and a U67 head will put you around 9.4ish compression ratio.

Cheaper and easily obtainable.

Finding RB30 pistons and a V head will put your wallet to stress.

Playing with the calculator is not always accurate.

A Z20E block and internals with Z22 pistons and a U67 head will put you around 9.4ish compression ratio.

Cheaper and easily obtainable.

Finding RB30 pistons and a V head will put your wallet to stress.

this sounds better, yeah i cant afford those things but i could save a bunch if i want haha. are v91 heads rare? and yeah i was trying to do some calculations with a ka head but it didnt have it in the program. are u67 heads fairly easy to come by? and how much do they go for on average?

you are in california. You pay california tax. 200 easy for a U67. they are findable.

Dont do a KA head...

RB30 pistons and V91 head are rare and therefor expensive. RB30 was never in america...

yyeah, i know they were never usdm. but je sells pistons but theyre like 700 at least :lol: right...

and a stock sohc ka would be faster than the combo making like 2.4:1? wow, stock 240sx are pretty slow, the dohc ones are pretty quick though. i kinda wanna stick with carbs a little, i mean, maybe thats just because im not good with wires.

yyeah, i know they were never usdm. but je sells pistons but theyre like 700 at least :lol: right...

and a stock sohc ka would be faster than the combo making like 2.4:1? wow, stock 240sx are pretty slow, the dohc ones are pretty quick though. i kinda wanna stick with carbs a little, i mean, maybe thats just because im not good with wires.

2.4:1? My lawnmower does better than that.

Remember, a Hardbody or a 240sx is close to 4,000 lbs.

A Datsun is not.

And whether they are fast/quick isn't really the equation.

Faster than what you got is a different story.

2.4:1? My lawnmower does better than that.

Remember, a Hardbody or a 240sx is close to 4,000 lbs.

A Datsun is not.

And whether they are fast/quick isn't really the equation.

Faster than what you got is a different story.

240sx is 2700lbs, both s13 and s14...

and i think what i got is faster than a stock sohc s13... and the truck is 2500lbs, so its not that big of a difference. and i meant 9.4:1 sorry, not 2.4:1. i know a ka24de dohc is pretty fast, faster than and civic ive raced and way faster than my 280z and faster than new mustang gt's. but a sohc stock with decently low miles isnt that fast. ive raced pleeeeenty haha. (in a 2005 v6 vtec accord stock with full leather, sat nav, bun warmers). that shit is fucking fast believe me or not. its a sleeper grocery getter for sure. (3600lbs)

so what would i need to do to fit a sohc ka in my truck? i heard one thing about using one stock ka mount and one stock 510 mount for a 510 swap, but i have never heard anything on truck swaps. and it would be quicker / faster than the z20 case with l20 head and side drafts? stock? also if i do another swap im probably going to change to the trans, is there any stock transmissions that are better than others that i could find for cheap? like is the trans in a 510 better than the truck or vise versa?