how do you know the id of a series transmission?

squatches

i looked around and couldnt find to much on it, i found some info on datsun1200.com. But all the numbers and letters they said to look for were'nt on any of the transmissions i looked at except the series number. i just picked up a transmission today and need to tell if its a 5spd or 4spd, it has a smooth case and has the casting number 60 on the side of it. Where are the numbers there telling i need to identify it?

thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i looked around and couldnt find to much on it, i found some info on datsun1200.com. But all the numbers and letters they said to look for were'nt on any of the transmissions i looked at except the series number. i just picked up a transmission today and need to tell if its a 5spd or 4spd, it has a smooth case and has the casting number 60 on the side of it. Where are the numbers there telling i need to identify it?

thanks in advance.

You read Mikes article.. or ask him.

lol

the dime quarterly has a real nice bit of information in it :lol:

Yep!

The

Ddime Quarterly article only covers 510 transmissions or transmissions that are popular or possible swaps into that. There's no mention of the A series transmissions.

Where did you get it from, was it in a car? Were you told what car/year it was from? Without a picture of it, several actually and some from the side it would be a big guess.

You say it's a 60 series? If a 4 speed it would be an F4W60. If a 5 speed it could be either an FS5W60L or an FS5W60A. All three have a smooth case. Maybe post some oics of it???

Where did you get it from, was it in a car? Were you told what car/year it was from? Without a picture of it, several actually and some from the side it would be a big guess.

the trans was already pulled when i got it, the guy at the junk yard had it in a pile of other transmissions he was going to scrap. He said he remembered pulling it from a 210 but couldnt remeber the model. will get pics shortly.

If a 4 speed it would be an F4W60. If a 5 speed it could be either an FS5W60L or an FS5W60A. All three have a smooth case. Maybe post some oics of it???

where are these numbers on the trans?

thanks

Those numbers aren't anywhere on the case. The only numbers will be the serial number (which is useless unless someone has a manufacturing log) and the major model series number, which in this case is "60". But it could be either a 4-speed or a 5-speed. It won't say anywhere on the trans which is is, it would be identified by sight.

There are articles that claim the model number is in the serial number, some showing photos of this. I've pulled dozens of transmissions- NONE have ever had the model number or the trans type in the serial number.

The only transmission that I have seen that has the type and even the build month and year on it is the 3N71B automatic.Doug's right, you have to know what to look for or ID by a process of elimination of clues on standard trannys.

did not know this, maybe i should get closer with my trannys and id know somethin about them lol. here are the pics of my tranny.

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

087.jpg

Both FS5W60A and the FS5W60L (which also has a dogleg shift pattern) 5 speeds have a longer thicker area directly behind the adapter plate and just forward of the mount like below...

F4W60andFS5W60L79useonlydifferences.jpg

084.jpg

083.jpg

Yours is very likely an F4W60 4 speed. Sorry.

oh well 4spd is just as good to i got it for $10 biggrin.gif so no complaints here, always good to have a spare stashed just incase. he had 2 other a series trans there to but they had a big square plate that bolted to the bottom, i dont have any pics but any ideas as to what they could possibly be? and would they be worth picking up? he wanted more for them though.

thanks for all the info and help.

Those are F4W63 (4 speeds) used on the 510/521 and the early 620 and also on the 610/710/A10s with L series motors. It was issued with a J bolt pattern for use on the 520/521 J series motor. I don't think ever used with the A series motor.

There were three 5 speeds used on the B-210/310 Two 60 series: one standard pattern, one dogleg pattern, and one 63A series only with a dogleg shift pattern. You should learn how to recognize them all in case you run into one at the junkyard. Lots of j/y owners don't know what they have.

$10 for a 4 speed is a good deal. My best tranny deal was for a missidentified FS5W63A 200sx dogleg... $20.

theres alot of datsuns in this guys j/y, and he has a fairly good idea of what he has and what its worth. but i talk to him all the time and im usually in his j/y every other day so i know him pretty well and i can usually throw a price out and he usually goes with it. $20 apiece is the price he told me for the other trans in the pile, need to get back over there and get them before he hauls them off.

• 4 months later...

Both FS5W60A and the FS5W60L (which also has a dogleg shift pattern) 5 speeds have a longer thicker area directly behind the adapter plate and just forward of the mount like below...

F4W60andFS5W60L79useonlydifferences.jpg

Yours is very likely an F4W60 4 speed. Sorry.

Damn Mike I didnt even know that one was longer in the middle and I have looked at them side by side

always learning something new

Thanks Randy