Another Project on the 71'

rhabdo71

On to another part of the truck. Rear brakes and drums.

I think I might leave this one to the shop. I don't think I have the correct tools to remove the rear drums. I have brand new rear drums, shoes and the hardware kit to replace. Sometimes when I brake it pulls to the left and the brake pedal feels real HARD. Looks like the original drums check out the pics.

One other question, what is the name of that BIG rubber bushing I know it's part of the suspension and where can I get a replacement?:angry: Got a big crack in it . The passenger side one looks okay. Thanks for any advice.

71Datsun034.jpg

71Datsun038.jpg

71Datsun037.jpg

71Datsun035.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your truck pulled I would look at the front brakes and adjust them.

there is a STAR wheel under the balck rubber. One will use a offset srewdriver or screw driver to turn the wheel down I believe to tighten them up.

try this first on front and rear and maybe you dont need to take if off.

BUT if you do want to remove the drums its best to leesen the STAR wheel to give the shoes soem slack.

521 drums are a pain. I had to get a heaver duty heat torch to heat the drum up then wack with a HUGER hammer as the drum was stuck to the hub, once loose then I could pry it off. But be careful these are cast and can CRACK!!!!!!i KNOW.

IF WHEEL CY,INDER IS LEAKY BEST TO REPLACE NOW.

I put anti seize on the inside hub surface so thes dont happen again.

Thanks Banzai510 and sorry for responding really late.

Yeah, I have about $1000k bucks I've spent on all new parts for the rat truck. Have all NEW drums, wheel cylinders, brake adjusters, brake spring hardware kits, shoes and brake lines. Got alot of work ahead of me:)

With mine-the first time taking the drums off was a pain.

I tried everything too. Hammer, torch, loosening, PB Blaster, prying.

Nothing worked.

Big 3 jaw puller borrowed from a friend finally did the trick.

I put so much torque on them!

Good luck there.

Drums are not bad, if maintained properly, and often.

Started on the front brakes today. So far it wasn't bad removing the drums. I don't want to know about the rear ones yet. That's for another weekend.

I removed and replaced wheel cylinder, brake lines, shoes and drums. There was alot of old caked dirt and grease everywhere. Took me longer to clean up

than to replace the parts.

Does anyone know if the REAR Brake Adjusters are the same (size/specifications) as for the FRONT? I bought new rear adjusters and placed them on the front.

I compared them side by side and they look identical (the old stock & New ones).:angry: I wish I had pics to show but the old lady took my camera out of town without permission.

71Datsun011-1.jpg

Got my camera back and took some after photos. Here's what I've done. I just have to put on the shoes and drum.

I also cleaned up the wheel bearings which looked in good shape. I repacked them with grease. dry.gif How much grease do you put on them? Inside the hub it is hollow and I only greased up pretty good the bearings.

71Datsun039.jpg

71Datsun040.jpg

71Datsun041.jpg

71Datsun042.jpg

71Datsun043.jpg