Cant bleed my clutch

Mista510

So I get home from school and decided that today ill bleed the brakes and clutch. Brakes done but clutch pedal goes straight to the floor so im looking at the pedals.....is something wrong or missing here?

510Pedelpic.jpg

510pedalpics.jpg

Then i not sure what this is called but im sure its not working right...what is it and does it prevent me from bleeding the clutch?

510transshot.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You look to see if fluid in the clutch master resivoir?

fill it .

rebleed clutch.

Master was filled after the brakes were done. I was doing this alone so I connected the my bleed line to the bleeder screw, opened it, pumped the clutch three time and held it down with a curtain rod. Looked for brake fluid to go through the line but nothing. Pumped the clutched again and held down again but it showed no sign of change.....

By myself I use a clear line in to a clear bottle. I open the bleed screw and I pump the about 3 times fuill resivoir pump 3 times and see if no air bubbles and then lock the bleed screw.

The use a clear line as once you thing the bubbles are gone if you let up on the pedal if it does suck fluid back it will be FREE of bubbles as thats why you use a clear line.

OK I seen this happen to other cars. Some times when you bleed a old master it could break as when you push all the way down the rubber seal gets cut on the ridge that was made as you never really use all the travel on the master.This happen more on Brake masters.

Another thing is lock the bleed screw and push the pedal and see if tiny airbubbles come up when you push the pedal every time then the master is bad.it cant push fluid.

also try this.Open bleed screw at slave. then go to master and hold yout finger over the hole while somebody pushes the pedal. do this a few times. YOu should fill fluid push out. if yes then re hook back up and rebleed.

• 2 weeks later...

Remove the slave cylinder from the line....can you pump fluid out now?

Clutch hard line may be blocked.....rusted.

Unhook the master cylinder from the hard line.....can you blow air thru the hard line?

Rubber hose could be rotten inside...also. Replace if questionable.

probably just a bad master.....like stated.

wasted seals inside= no push the fluid.

• 1 year later...

Im having an issue similar today on my 71 2dr. I replaced the clutch master, slave and lines including the rubber hose a few months back. Today we got around to be able to bleed the system but are unable to get fluid from the master down to the slave. I unscrewed the line at the master, pumped the pedal and still nothing coming out, also tried pulling the bleeder out of the slave to try and get fluid to run out and nothing, but I can hear air when the pedal is released going back into the slave bleeder. So strange. 

Any ideas?

1/ Did you bench bleed the master? Get about a foot of old brake line. Connect to the master and bend the other line back up, over and into the master reservoir. Preferably enough to be below the fluid level in the reservoir. Begin pumping the clutch pedal and watch for bubbles. Continue until all air is pushed out into the reservoir. The master is now bled, connect the hard line to the slave back up and proceed with bleeding. Keep the master full.

2/ Make sure that you have 1/16" of loose or free clutch pedal play before there is resistance felt.

• 1 month later...

Im having an issue similar today on my 71 2dr. I replaced the clutch master, slave and lines including the rubber hose a few months back. Today we got around to be able to bleed the system but are unable to get fluid from the master down to the slave. I unscrewed the line at the master, pumped the pedal and still nothing coming out, also tried pulling the bleeder out of the slave to try and get fluid to run out and nothing, but I can hear air when the pedal is released going back into the slave bleeder. So strange.

Any ideas?

Going through this right now with my 72/510, was a auto now a stick.