Ka24E swap done..... Its alive

drastic520

Ok so in the last few weeks i have been lurking around the site looking for stuff for the new toy. Here I am back at it again. Its been a few years and maybe a dozen cars later...lol. Anyway here is a litlle background. When I joined i had a nice lil toy. 67 520 ended up going rotary and rhd. I posted up my work progress back then. Then some house deals came thru and had to sell it. Figured i could find another one. Boy was I wrong. I regreted that move. Took me over a year to find a 620. It was a real fun truck specially since it was well cared for. Not a single thing wrong with it. even the patina looking paint was perfect...lol. Then after hjaving it for a few months, my girlfriends mom passed away and i figured i had to help. So 620 was sold. That was 2 years ago. So u can now see how hard it is to find Datsuns in my area. Fast forward to now. Found a nice lil 521. And now the fun will begin again. Only way I will let go of it is for a 510. Hopefully..... Here are some shots

My old 520

DSC02581.jpg

My second Datto. 76 620. bitch even had working a/c and got it fron second owner.

DSC06539.jpg

The new 521. Hooking it up for the long drive home. Had to drive 5 hours away to go get it. Pulled it with my Magnum. And yes the Magnum is on bags!!!!

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

And here she is after a lil rattlecan job. Just tore down the l16 to replace a bent intake valve. Should be up and running in a week or so.

IMAG0692.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks man. yeah that 620 was perfect. all i had to do was weld up some new floors. i was not going to paint it either. i was in love with it. specially since it was in one piece and the ac worked. and the interior was mint!!!!

look at the seat and door panels. not a scratch on them...

DSC06449.jpg

DSC06450.jpg

nice glad your back and with another truck what are the plans for this one? rotory and rhd? you did it before you could do it again lol

thanks bud. this one for now gets to keep the L16 until I get a good ka for it. and rhd for sure. gonna be a nice ratty daily. giving my magnum a well deserved rest.

Nice! Must feel good to have a Datsun again.

That 620 was cool. AC? That would have been a keeper! The patina, rear window louver and side window vents were nice details. Let's see what happens with the 521!

man it really does. yeah that 620 was crazy nice. but it had to be sacrificed. all those things were on it from the first owner.

Ok here we gooooooo. Picked up a 1989 240sx se for $400. Was crashed in front but runs well. 6k miles on a top end rebuild. So pulled out everything i needed off the car and sold it to the scrap man for $100. So basically got the motor, tranny, harness and ecu for $300. Already removed all accessories like p/s and a/c along with fan. I would like to know what other things i can get rid of. I know we need minimal things when doing this swap into our dattos. Anyone has any info? I know i read it somewhere but for the life of me i cant find it again. so stay tuned for another ka24e/521 swap story. On to the pics...

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

IMAG0742.jpg

IMAG0744.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

lol what happened to running the l16?

the l16 is torn apart and in the bed of the truck. i bent an intake valve and broke the guide. I already got the parts in the mail so ill be putting it back together and just save it till someone needs it.

fuck man, all your cars are sick as fawk. even the magnum. that 521 looks epic with those wheels and flat black

thanks man! im gonna try and keep it simple on the outside. cant wait to have some lil prick pull up and test the ka. lol. now ill use the datto as my daily and give the magnum a well deserved rest. gonna redo the air ride on the magnum and some interior fiberglass work over the winter.

Sits 1/4" from the front crossmember so too close for comfort. Gotta move it back some. The downpipe is gonna hit the ebrake so I hope headers fix that. This thing is tiiiiiight fitting. Hope I can still do my rhd after its in.

update:::: ok I removed the power steering pulley from the main crankshaft and now I have plenty clearance. gonna adjust the motor mounts tomorrow hopefully. then the tranny mount.

I need help!!!!! I got the motor and tranny in. not fun when working alone. started the wiring but I'm lost. I am using the diagrams that icehouse posted on the how to. at the risk of sounding like a total idio, my question is, do I cut the wires mentioned on the diagram and wire them to the relays or do I run a wire from the relay and tap onto the wires? I tried to start it today but get no spark. also I look at the LEDs inside the ecu and they seem to turn off while I'm crancking. is that normal? please help meeeeeeeeeee. I wanna getbthis puppy going. I have a few non believers in my area that feel I'm wasting my time with this swap. can't wait till I bring it to them.........

The light in the ECU should stay lit even when cranking.

Thats what I thought. Just rather make sure.

Cant help with the swap but wanted to say what a cool bunch of datsuns youve owned. Cant wait to see more of the 521!

Thanks man! Not many around my way so I enjoy being the odd ball...

ok so she is all in, starts, runs well, the works. last thing i need is a radiator. has anyone ever used one of these? looks like it may work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-MT-3R-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-FAN-SHROUD-/160629568816?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIntegra&hash=item256644b530

• 3 weeks later...

Finally done with this thing. I am loving the torque this thing has. All that is left is to have my exhaust done. Saturday should be the day. Then run it hard and see how it holds up. Then tear it down again and repaint everything.... That should be fun.... Here is a quick video of her running.

• Like 1