Year of my 510

Mista510

I just got a Datsun 510 and I can tell what year it is. There are no stickers or anything on the car that tells me the year. PL510xxxxxx in the window tells me that its a 1.6l, left hand drive, and the last six is suppose the number it rolled off the assembly line. So how can I tell what year my car is?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver's door jam should have a tag with the build date stamp.

To visually ID you would have to send some pictures of it. What's the full PL510????? number if you don't mind. It might narrow it down.

For example: PL 510 000011 to PL 510 040010 would be a '68 built between Oct '67 to Sept. '68

I just got a Datsun 510 and I can tell what year it is. There are no stickers or anything on the car that tells me the year. PL510xxxxxx in the window tells me that its a 1.6l, left hand drive, and the last six is suppose the number it rolled off the assembly line. So how can I tell what year my car is?

oics.jpg

Driver's door jam should have a tag with the build date stamp.

To visually ID you would have to send some pictures of it. What's the full PL510????? number if you don't mind. It might narrow it down.

For example: PL 510 000011 to PL 510 040010 would be a '68 built between Oct '67 to Sept. '68

The full number is PL510- 101685. Sorry for not having pic but ill post them when I get home.

Wow I would have never thought of that so lets see...huh no title here. If I had the title I would not have been seeking help to figure out the year of my car but thanks for the effort.

Geez, new guy. Ease up. You came here asking for help. You may want to stow the attitude until we've all gotten a chance to know each other a little bit.

What's odd here, is that not only does he not have a title, but also doesn't know what year the car was. If it was ever bought with a title you should know the year. So is it either a ) stolen, b ) abandoned, c ) sold to you with no title or information, d ) been so many years since you lost the title that you can't remember the year?

There are ways to run a vin online, or take the car down to the DMV and have it inspected.

Like the guys mentioned, there are easy ways to tell what year a 510 is. 68's had opposed wipers and small tail lights, 69's had the flat dash but the later tail lights, 70's on had the round gauge dash, 71's are the same as 70's, for 72-on there's a dip in the front frame rail for a taller radiator, and in 73 there are side impact bars inside the doors.

I wouldn't go by bumpers, grilles, and such, those are all easy to change over the years.

I once had a hard time figuring out what year MY 510 was ...

Then i looked at the title

Wow I would have never thought of that so lets see...huh no title here. If I had the title I would not have been seeking help to figure out the year of my car but thanks for the effort.

Geez, new guy. Ease up. You came here asking for help. You may want to stow the attitude until we've all gotten a chance to know each other a little bit.

:lol: :lol: I think that was a appropriate response. Any car owner knows the year is on the ownership. There is obviously a lack of documentation.

Ok I apologize for the somewhat rude response. It seems when I ask a question, someone replys with what I feel is a sarcastic answer. The truth of the matter is that yes, I traded for the car and it didn't have a title...yes, the door sticker is missing, and yes maybe what I did was a bit silly but I really wanted it. I don't mean to make enemies at all so please accept my apology.

First... it helps to have a thick skin when on the internet.

Second, the printed word often fails to convey an emotional content. A comment made in humor can be interpreted several ways. Don't sweat it.

How about some pictures of your 510.

Send us pics of the car and we can help determine the year. Without pics, describe the dash and we can narrow it down to 68, 69, or 70-73 (that is if the dash is original to the car.

Also, the side marker lights can say if it is 68-69 or 70-73. The wiper and headlight switches can tell something too. The 73 had light up switches that have a green lens on them. The 70-72 were pretty much the same and the earlier cars were on the lower part of the dash instead of the upper part.

Is there an engine plate under the hood? the HP rating could be a clue too.

Let us know what you find

Ok I apologize for the somewhat rude response. It seems when I ask a question, someone replys with what I feel is a sarcastic answer. The truth of the matter is that yes, I traded for the car and it didn't have a title...yes, the door sticker is missing, and yes maybe what I did was a bit silly but I really wanted it. I don't mean to make enemies at all so please accept my apology.

I hope you don`t think you have to apologize to me...

Actually i was shooting for this...

.As one young DAT510 once ( well twice ) said to me.. tongue.gif

1253784913_jack_nicholson_fuckyou.gif