720 oil and volt gauge installation

bryant313

This is the two wire senser for the oil gauge, you need this part or the gauge will never work.

oilsenderforgaugeLarge.jpg

This is where it goes on the side of your block, but it is under your napZ intake.

DSCN0768.jpg

ok so i cant find the yellow/blue wire in the engine compartment. can i just cut and re-route another wire from the yellow/blue wire under my dash and run it to the sensor?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your going to need the 2 wire senser, the top of the "T" is the wire that goes to the gauge, the bottom of the "T" goes to the dash light I beleave, datzenmike posted the correct order in an earlier post, you should also get the console harness like in the photo below, it is good to be able unplug it and remove the console when you have the need to, but it is only 4 wires total to make it fully functional.

DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

Your going to need the 2 wire senser, the top of the "T" is the wire that goes to the gauge, the bottom of the "T" goes to the dash light I beleave, datzenmike posted the correct order in an earlier post, you should also get the console harness like in the photo below, it is good to be able unplug it and remove the console when you have the need to, but it is only 4 wires total to make it fully functional.

DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

ive already got the harness that plugs in under the dash. its just locating that other wire is the problem

ok so i cant find the yellow/blue wire in the engine compartment. can i just cut and re-route another wire from the yellow/blue wire under my dash and run it to the sensor?

YES

It will likely be tapped up on the engine harness, or you can run a new one like I did and tape it up nice and neat.

Did you find the connectors tapped up by the heater? Those plug into the gauges. Out in the engine bay should be the other end of the Yellow/Green wire probably tapped up between the alternator and the starter. If not there, run your own wire back to the gauge.

• 10 years later...

I just bought the center console for my 85 2 wheel drive and the harness. I plugged into the connector under the dash, the battery gauge works but not the oil pressure gauge. I only have a single wire oil pressure sensor. Is this the "2 wire" sensor that would work?

oil pressure switch.jpg

Edited by 620z

Yes.

The wiring for the gauge is in the harness and at least as far as the sub harness that connects to it near the starter. It has the transmission switches, reverse light, oil pressure and start signal for the solenoid. The single wire for the gauge will be missing. If you can find a 4x4 you could pull the sub harness off of it or... just add a wire to the new sender.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave. This wire for the oil pressure terminates in a 5 or 6 wire plug near the battery. You should be able to find the yellow/blue wire on the car side, but the engine side of the plug has no wire pushed into the connector. 

I just installed the oil pressure sender and gauge, and used this helpful thread as a guide. Anyone looking to finish this project will hopefully find this conclusion helpful as well. 

(or you can just run your own wire which is just as easy)