Rebuilding Engine?

Silas

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard answer.

$1500 done right and assembled yourself.

It can be done cheaper...but you get what you pay for.

There are also other variables involved. I went through 3 Shortblocks before I found one that could be machined.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, in fact quite the opposite. Just be prepared ;)

A 210 engine or a 210 casting head on a (?) engine?

210 casting heads (and 210 casting blocks) are for L16s... not QUITE what was supposed to be in a '79 truck.

Of course, I hauled home a '77 KC once that had had a B210 engine in it... yes, a B210 A14 AUTOMATIC in a '77 King Cab. Ugh...

I got my current L18 and my w53 from a 1980 720 4x4 kc.

If you dont need the cylinders bored or the crank turned you can do it yourself for around $300-$500.Gaskets,bearings,rings and such from rock auto or anywhere else cheap.Depends on your know how.

650$ for a long block.

I guess that means HEAD redone also?

better jump on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if thats the price.

But every motor I HAD sent to the machine shop all my CRANKS were good and bearing but alway one BORE/Piston was out of spec and thats when the PRICE went up. For Bore job and order new set of pistons.

Is this a motor EXCHANGE or to do your motor.?

If your motor you dont know if its even good or what needs to be done yet untill you ope it up.

By then the machine shop has got you IN

Actually I know 3 places that give me the same price of 650. One is in Compton Cali. They rebuilt my Mustangs 289 like 5 years ago and its still running really good. The other one is in East Los Angeles, They told me they only dedicate themselves to Imports especially Datsun. "It was even printed on there business card" I think I will be using the new place in East Los Angeles since the offer more warranty. I got a short block from the junker so if that thing is clean I'm going to rebuild it at the end of this month.... Wish me luck!!!!

Edit! Actually its not an exchange but your own engine. They said they would do everything. But to be sure I will take the engine too them disassembled plus two heads to see which one is better...

650 is cheap dude...whats that place called can you put a number...they are charging me about $1000 to rebuild my L18 but they are doing the whole rebuild...new timing chain pistons and everything...they will do the head high performance too....all i would have to do is put the oil pan and the valve cover...they will calibrate everything...but i wanted to het the block bored but the guy i spoke with saied he doesnt recomend it...thats its almost nothing...thats it will do very well just a stock reuild with a good head...

but hey 650 sounds great can we get a number or address...:D:D:D

the place i went to is on 28th and san pedro in LA..

The one in Compton said they can port & polish the head and install a better cam BUT will not give it warranty and PLUS they were giving me wrong info and changing there mind every second. "The factory rebuilt will have warranty" They weren't sure what type of piston they were going to use and if they were going to include head & rod bolts or not. The one in East Los told me ONLY stock rebuild with one year warranty and will include everything except the rod bolts ... I'll get the P# numbers tomorrow aight!!!! The Rod bolts can be orders from Top end performance for 40 dollars ARP brand they are located in North Hollywood.... I just want to have a reliable motor you know...

ATTENTION!!!! What type of piston brands do you guys recommend?

I FOUND THE #'S!!!!!

A-1 auto parts

539 E. Carlin ave.

Compton CA 90222

(310) 886-3000

SHORT BLOCK 395$

LONG BLOCK 650$

*BE SURE TO ASK*

*WHAT IS INCLUDED!*

A.L. CAMS

2706 S. Central ave.

Los Angeles CA 90011

(323) 234-6910

LONG BLOCK 650$

*TOLD ME THAT WILL*

*INCLUDE EVERYTHING*

*EXCEPT ROD BOLTS*

Top End Performance

7452 Varna ave

North Hollywood CA 91605

(818) 764-1901

*SELL DATSUN PARTS*

*FROM GASKETS TOO*

*BOLTS,HEADERS,CARBS*

*REBUILDS,PARTS,ETC*

Just give them a call. A-1 acts pretty weird but they did do a good job on my V8. Top End performance also rebuilds & alter engines. Just look around their web page. http://www.racetep.com/nissan.html Hope this helps... Mota

but i wanted to het the block bored but the guy i spoke with saied he doesnt recomend it...thats its almost nothing...QUOTE]

I be wary of someone saying the block doesn't need bored with out looking at the actual block ;)

2eDeYe;47896']

I be wary of someone saying the block doesn't need bored with out looking at the actual block ;)

It has to be measured and fall within acceptable were limits to make that statement. There are three measurements that must pass inspection:

Inner bore diameter:.. 85.000 to 85.050mm wear limit 0.2mm

Out of round:........... 0.015mm measured at 1" and 4" down the bore.

Taper..................... 0.015mm over a 4" distance from a distance 1" from the top of bore.

This is for the '78 L20B engine, L18 is the same bore.

• 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday I started working on my 620 and installed the bigger rad. I had to test fit it and made some "brakets" for it. On Saturday I will be tearing out the engine and start striping and cleaning the engine bay. So before I even rebuild the engine.Ii have been looking for a good 5 speed. Does any one have one for my l20? Why rebuild and engine just to stick back the stock 4 speed back in.... Any who... Not yet...

There are downsides to boring too. My machine shop chose to punch a v8 to .040 over just too be safe. Had to scramble to find pistons, since my "balanced assembly" w/.030 pistons would no longer fit. Got about 3000 miles on motor before it started overheating and twisting up due to cylinder walls being too thin. Warped the aluminum heads as well. Nothing like driving through a summer heat wave with the heater wide open, hoping to milk 30 miles out of your vehicle before a 3hour cool down!

• 1 month later...

Sent in the Engine in today for the rebuild. He said that he will also include the oil pump... So I asked him to please upgrade me to the KA pump for more oil pressure.... 550 he charged me and well I also will include the arp rod bolts... The pistons he told me will be safety pistons.... I pray that the block is clean and the build will last me a long long time.... :thumbsup:

A.L. CAMS

2706 S. Central ave.

Los Angeles CA 90011

(323) 234-6910

LONG BLOCK 650$.... New price 550!!!!!!!

*TOLD ME THAT WILL*

*INCLUDE EVERYTHING*

*EXCEPT ROD BOLTS*

Top End Performance

7452 Varna ave

North Hollywood CA 91605

(818) 764-1901

*SELL DATSUN PARTS*

*FROM GASKETS TOO*

*BOLTS,HEADERS,CARBS*