My suzuki samurai

Wanted something to go horse around in the mud snow and wherever else i wanna go goofy coil sprung setup with horrible bumpsteer issues no castor adjustment but does have 5.38 gears lockright lockers at both ends 1.6 sidkick engine with a weber factory tach new top ugly wheels and body damage Love IT!

DSC00601-1.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted something to go horse around in the mud snow and wherever else i wanna go goofy coil sprung setup with horrible bumpsteer issues no castor adjustment but does have 5.38 gears lockright lockers at both ends 1.6 sidkick engine with a weber factory tach new top ugly wheels and body damage Love IT!

DSC00604.jpg

Remove the header wrap ASAP. That's race car shit that serves no measureable purpose on the street~ other than driving up pipe temps to the point of metal crystalization and very premature failure....

2eDeYe' date='09 September 2011 - 07:58 AM' timestamp='1315580301' post='543789']

Nice looking rig. Need to get that panhard and the drag link parallel to the ground and that should get rid of most of the bump steer. :)

Im waiting on a power steering setup for a tracker to get here, and then I'm gonna work on that issue. I doubt I'll get it level with the ground, but I'm sure I can get them level with each other. that should cure most of it.

I modified the lower raduis arms today so i can add some caster to the front end of this thing turned out nice I think. It was at almost 4 degrees negative castor :blink: :blink: . Now its set it to about 3.5 positive castor, that should help this this drive better. Now i just gotta work on the bumpsteer issues and add power steering.

before

DSC00621.jpg

modified arms

DSC00623.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

castor after a days work sweatin my arse off!.

DSC00624.jpg

yes i did both arms but i only took pics of the one. they used to be a ladder bar type.

• 1 month later...

So i've been busy wrenching on this thing trying to get it so it drives decent. So far I have lowered it, added power steering tightened up everything (lots of loose nuts n bolts etc) new toyo mud terrains, played with the alignment and castor settings, but still no luck. I have cured my bumpsteer issue, but it still drives HORRIBLE!! I got a big Johhny joint to replace the bushing on the wisbone on the rear end. I basically feels like the ass end is steering the truck on the road its flat spooky feeling any whoop, dip, bump in the road and it just darts right or left and it will shoot ya into on coming traffic if you dont correct it quick but dont over correct cause it could shoot off the direction you correcting to lol. Its a white knuckle drive. heres a couple pics.

before flairs with new tires

newshoesonthezuk.jpg

stock flairs back on.

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

I fixed my issue!!! The damn steering box was way to tight and was sticking! I just overlooked it :(. It never felt that tight to me cause I went from manual steering to a power assist basically overnight, so i never noticed how tight it actually was. Which it was causing the steering to stick just a little. so any correction i was making it was steering that direction without me noticing trying to keep the damn thing between the lanes. goes to show how sometimes the most simple problems can be solved when ya dont look to hard for them. also called the KISS method!

• 3 weeks later...