620 stereo upgrade

Radiant-Designer

I don't recognize either of those brackets. Is there one bolted to the tunnel? I will see if I can get some pics of mine.

I'll have a look, but I don't think it's a bolted down bracket.  I believe it's basically a piece that is almost cut from the tranny tunnel and then bent back to accept the black covered piece on the console.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I had a look, and what I thought was a stamped out receiver bracket is actually just a screwed down bracket, however it is all factory stuff, as when I removed the brace from the console, there are wedges formed in the plastic of the console in order to keep the brace in the correct position.  I was thinking that I might be able to just move the clip that's screwed to the transmission tunnel and also move the bracket on the console that slides into the clip, but after seeing the provision in the plastic, I don't know if I would end up throwing things out of whack or not.

Has anyone who has had this kind of console with the brackets and clip on the tunnel gone through this before, and if so, how did you overcome the issue?

• Like 1

You will need to get rid of the upper bracket. The lower one should work the way it was designed.

Here is the stereo in the red truck, I think it is using the same lower bracket.

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

I have another console in the shed...ok I have a few more than one :lol:

This one has the AC controls in it and uses the other style bracket that can be flipped. You can see the screw holes to mount it to the tunnel.  It must be the later style as it came out of my 78.

IMG_1995.jpg

• Like 2

just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in here, seriously who uses a cd player much anymore? its all mp3-4 players and iphones/android. you can install a 3.5mm to rca cable which will plug into your headphone jack on anything and run it to an amplifier with speakers, this way there is no head unit to worry about. just sayin.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess from the lack of replies, that nobody has managed to install an aftermarket stereo in the dash with much success?

Hey,I installed a pioneer super tuner old school cassette player into the original radio area and lets just say,  it was not easiy. The much better spot for it is in the console.  Then again I have an KC and want both old school and new so the cd player will go into the console.

• Like 1

Get a center console for the deck. Under the seat or on the back wall is a good place for an amp.

The kick panels take a 5-1/4 speaker and a bass tube would fit nicely behind the passenger seat. smile.gif

Picture020-4.jpg

Where did you get that shift knob?

• Like 1

You will need to get rid of the upper bracket. The lower one should work the way it was designed.

Here is the stereo in the red truck, I think it is using the same lower bracket.

IMG_1992.jpg

I have another console in the shed...ok I have a few more than one :lol:

This one has the AC controls in it and uses the other style bracket that can be flipped. You can see the screw holes to mount it to the tunnel.  It must be the later style as it came out of my 78.

IMG_1995.jpg

whenever one of you guys have the console apart, do you mind snapping a few oics of the bracket? i tried making my own but it doesnt sit correctly. thanks

I will try to get some better pics next time I am in there. Wish I would have seen this last week, just got the 4x4 console back together. 

Where did you get that shift knob?

From cl72wagon Not sure if he still offers the pool ball style. I have one of his anodized ones in the 4x4. It's a nice piece as well. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38061-billet-ratsun-shift-knobs-see-first-page-for-odering-info/?hl=+ratsun%20+shift%20+knob

IMG_2743.jpg

• Like 1

Hey I am in to see some shallow mount set ups with a standard cab, but I already had a hole in the dash so I just popped in a cheap blue tooth radio that cost a

whooping 50$ on amazon.

1620550_721064501275905_3189930061527954https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1620550_721064501275905_3189930061527954607_n.jpg?oh=1d4d8968941d3b2c2608812de9046d65&oe=55064741&__gda__=1429795336_97100e7254ac44f6462a35958f2ac604

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

whenever one of you guys have the console apart, do you mind snapping a few oics of the bracket? i tried making my own but it doesnt sit correctly. thanks

Found one sitting in aa parts stash last week.

IMG_3197.jpg

• Like 1

Hey thanks for that picture and thanks for remembering. Though it appears different than the one I have. Mine slides into another bracket bolted to the tunnel. That one looks like it bolts to the tunnel itself.

Found one sitting in aa parts stash last week.

IMG_3197.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is a little late, but I have a 73 620 I have been working on for some time.  I found that Retro Sound makes an very small radio that does fit the dash with minimal cutting, the plastic divider on the original radio only.  The time consuming part is adjusting the radio to fit the dash, when done, it fits like it was made for it, the radio comes in various models I used the Zuma ordered though Jegs, the cheapest price for just the radio, no face plate and no knobs.  The knobs have to be purchased through Retro Sound as they are proprietary and only work on their radios and you can chose which ones fit  your truck.  Radio, no cd,  was about 200, includes rcas, built in amp, usb, 2 additional ports.  I ran some JBL speakers in the kick panels with 5/8s  O rings of mdf no cutting required  and a small Rockford amp under the seat.    I had a Sony CD player hanging around, but there was no way it would work in the curved dash and the glove box or under the seat with a remote did not appeal to me.  Expensive but I think it was worth it, just my opinion thought I would share, also Retro Sound does not list the Zuma as fitting a 620 but look at the measurements on their web site and it matches the stock radio opening with out modifications, sound with this set up is very good .  I will try to post some photos of the whole project but I need my kid to help with that, I am computer challenged   ........ Best    

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I replaced the old radio with a modern one that also has knobs, it's made by Pyle and it's pretty low quality but it fits in the stock position and plays music from SD cards. I was able to squeeze it in from below the dash. I'll take some pictures if you want.