Need help to convert my L16 to L18

dat_160j_77

Hey guys,

I searched the forum once before(like a month ago) for this and I think I didn't find anything, I need help.......

So my story is: I have a 710 with a L16 engine and a chinese copy of the hitachi carb, it runs well, but It lakes power, I know its not a mustang but I could not make it pass 100km/h easily, so what I was thinking maybe you could point me out to what I could do to improve it(maybe rebuild the old carb), or I was thinking of converting it to a L18, since the block of the L16 and L18 is the same I was wonder if it is possible and will it worth the trouble?

Another thing, I was hoping if you guys could give me some HP figures about your L16, L18 engines.

And will a L20B head work with a bored L16, and again will it worth the trouble?

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where you live?

L16 18s are pretty much the same to me.

If you have a auto trans then it always will be slow

the L16/18s use the same trans parts so yes you can swap it in EZ.

read olddatsuns.com the tech section.

have you timmed the motor? useing a timming light? this will give us a indication of if something was messed with

WOOOOOOOOW, that was fast!

I live in Jordan the country, I don't know if you heard of it or not.

I have a 4 speed manual transmission. Just to keep things clear, I don't want to swap my L16 with a L18, its more of I can't, because Datsun parts are very rare here, so what I was thinking of is boring my L16 block and use a L18 pistons with a L16/L18/L20B head, because my options are limited so I need you guys to guide me. And about the timing, I will check it and get back to you.

And thanks man for the fast reply.

yes you can bore the L16 83mm out to 85mm EZ. M 510 has this done.

The L18 pistons will be a 4cc dished pistonand have a little more compression.But cost is the machine work to get this done. I would just rebuild your L16 if that is EZer

Yes you can put a L20 head on there. I would assume its a square port exhaust.

L20 heads have bigger intake ports. So you can make your intake ports bigger to match.

Yes I know Jordan.

I was in Love with Queen Noor when I was a kid!

save this

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech.htm

yes you can bore the L16 83mm out to 85mm EZ. M 510 has this done.

The L18 pistons will be a 4cc dished pistonand have a little more compression.But cost is the machine work to get this done. I would just rebuild your L16 if that is EZer

Yes you can put a L20 head on there. I would assume its a square port exhaust.

L20 heads have bigger intake ports. So you can make your intake ports bigger to match.

Yes I know Jordan.

I was in Love with Queen Noor when I was a kid!

save this

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech.htm

So I have it clear now, I should rebuild my L16 use L20 head with L20 intake and use Weber carb?

If you ever plan to visit jordan just hit me man and I will show you around.

Thanks.

I am surprised no body said this. A big difference between the L-16 and L-18 is the crankshaft. L-16 stroke 73.7 MM, L-18 stroke 79 MM. the crankshafts interchange between the blocks, but the L-18 connecting rod is shorter, to make the longer stroke crankshaft not push the pistons out of the block by about 2.5MM.

I think there is a possibility of getting different pistons, so you could possibly build a engine with the L-18 crankshaft, and L-16 rods.

In order to turn an L16 block into an L18 you would need:

1) To rebore the block from 83mm to 85mm

2) Need an L18 crank, rods, pistons, and rings.

If you have that stuff, just can't get an L18 block, then great.

If you DON'T have the parts, it'll be far easier to get a whole L18 block with the part in it. Might as well try to find an entire L20B at that point (though the L18 may be easier to find there).

What you DO NOT want to do is run an L20B head on an otherwise unmodified L16. Your compression would be way too low- in the 7.8:1 range.

I would simply use the Weber carb on what you already have, if you can get the adapter. You'd need the adapter for an L20B intake anyway.

Ok, I will do as said, I will check the simple things first.

- Distributor.

- Get rid of my Hitachi-ish carb and rebuild the old one or get a Weber (which ever faster to get done).

- Do a valve adjustment.

Results will decide which will I do, whether to stick with what I got, do a rebuild or convert the engine.

One more thing, if its your car what would you do, just for the record I love the engine as it is, its reliable as hell, and its my only car and I drive it daily(just to give you a clue that its not just parked in my garage).

Here's some reading for you. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24412-my-76-710-goon/ and my http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17682-my-island-74-710/ . In no way is this a definitive build up, there are lots of options, but it's what I did with my 710s. As far as the motor, mine is the same just larger. I cant describe how much better the goon is to drive and handle with it lowered than the sedan. Well worth the trouble.

A stock L16 will go more than 100kph (58 mph) -- it should do around 150 kph in a Datsun 710. So no need for an L18.

The cause could be, but is probably not the carburetor. Late ignition timing is the most common cause this problem.

Another possibility is that the jets are installed correctly. On club member got a new Chinese copycat carburetor and the primary and secondary jets were switched.