510craven

510Craven

hello all i am a new member to this site from san joaquin county california. just wanted to stop in say hello and see if anyone has seen my new 510 around the threads or streets before. been looking for a 510 for quite some time now and was only looking for 4 doors as i prefer the looks better but then came across this two door and looked reasonable fo the price so figure itl do until i come across a nice 4 door.

what i know/was told, is that it is a 1971 datsun 510 2 door originally from oregon (even came with the oregon plates). apparently it was garaged by a old man and that man wanted it out of his garage or somethin and sold it to the the guy i bought it from. has a l18 with the 4 speed tranny and webber carb. clean title no dents dings or cant even really find any major or minor rust (driver floorboad feels thin but not ate thru and have yet to get it on a lift to check underneath). clean dash no cracks just missing passenger vent and radio, thats it. original gauge cluster. glass good and crack free. wipers and lights work. has a louvered hood and looks freshly painted white (looks macco but good enough). has old school what looks to be bre style rims and came with the original. gas cap lock works, trunck lock works and trunk opens and closes. has honda front seats and original back seat with a few rips. springs were cut to lower. really just needs carpet and put the headliner back(also came with the car)

motor seems to run strong started right up the few time iv driven it, was told it was recently rebuilt. the only problem is the brakes, pedal goes all the way to the floor so plan is to bleed them with this weekend hope it works. also when test driving car was fine but on the way home clutch pedal went soft and hard to shift so checked fluid wen i got home and was empty. weird thing is could not find a leak but il replace the master cylinder anyways since he gave me a new one and bleed the clutch while im at it. no e brake.

anyways i paid 3000 for it, was it a good deal, or possibly to much? here are some pics i apologize for the long intro and if this post is in the wrong spot. thanks in advance

d2964822.jpg

4780259d.jpg

182eadf2.jpg

205425bf.jpg

30d36196.jpg

21f14537.jpg

db75e31c.jpg

1c03ce1b.jpg

876f7aba.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome everyone

Yeah I agree I don't care to much for the hood as well but also not a big fan of the rims although they seem to be popular with the Datsun crowd. Probaly going to end up putting the stock looking wheels on for now.

Eh for around my area it's the most complete one for the price, at least as far as my craigslist will search which is usually up to the bay area or sac area. All the one iv seen have Beat dashes if a dash at all and full of rust dents and dings plus no interior but that's what I get shopping on a budget. Just recently seen two shells asking 3k and one for 4k being the reason I couldn't pass this one up

$3k for a running/driving 510 is not a bad deal, and a lot of that depends on what part of the country you're in. I'd say your safe. The car looks like a solid starting point, and with just a little elbow grease and some easy upgrades it should be pretty sweet.

The wheels are called Libras, and what they used to race back in the 70's.

Definitely KEEP the louvered hood, it will help a LOT when the weather is toasty and you're sitting at a light. I have one, and you can watch the heat radiate through it in the summer. Plus, do you know how expensive it is to have louvers done? Not cheap. Someone put hundreds of bucks into that hood.

About the only thing thta won't be affordable for your ride are the bumpers, they aren't cheap. The rest of what you need should be easy to get.

If you're happy with what you paid, then it's a good price. I felt the same when I bought my 510.

Def find some nice bumpers. Don't waste your time with nasty ones, get some shiny chrome ones. The bumpers are what make older cars so cool. I'd keep the wheels until you swap brakes. Ifthe wheels are 13" they won't fit with bigger brakes as far as I know. Keep the hood too. And keep it black, the black and the louvres look mean! Just find a cheap stock hood if you want something different. Wish i'd see this when I was looking. Great find.

I dig the louvers myself. If there were an easy way to do it to my car i'd be all over it.

Welcome! I like the louvers! It's great to keep the engine cool! You'll need it when you go turbo. Sell the wheels it is popular to oldschool dimer in Ebay get at least $250+. Not just dimer wants the oldschool Libra's Toyota, Honda oldschool owners will bid on it too. I paid $2500 11 years complete but with primer paint, no carpet or headliner. The unibody is straight as shit. No front of back accident. That's is what's important. $3M is not bad. Post more pic on the progress.

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since I posted about this car. After I got it and bled the brakes I drove it daily to work and back for two month before I had some electrical problems. Then picked up a 620 and daily drove that for a while so this just became a weekend car. Now I'm piecing together a ka swap and hope to start moving forward with this project. So far got the crossmember flipped and in. Test fit the engine in the bay with no tranny but I didn't catch your suppose to just use the two bottom holes so took note of that

null-11.jpg

null-12.jpg

null-13.jpg

I kno I kno the engine has a fram filter on it didn't like it but took what I could find. Also tried fitting the ka without cutting out the battery tray. Think I'm going to have to tho

It looks like a tight fit but I assume it would be best to put engine in with the tranny on correct?

Also might sound dumb but how exactly do you relocate the 02 sensor? I researched it and get I need to block off the 02 hole and relocate it to where the egr went but the hole is to big. Is their a adapter I can pick up? Can I take out the original 02 port and thread that to where the egr tube went?

null-2.jpg

^^can this thing unscrew

null-1.jpg

And go here^^

null.jpg

I have yet to try it and should but before I start messing just wanted some insight

What's amazing to me is that when this thread started in 2011, 3K for this car was a good deal. Now what, 2 years later, 3K for a running l18 swapped 2 door dime and libres with no rust is a steal. (IMHO) Especially from where I am sitting on the east coast.

Glad you are back at it!

If the KA efi system is anything like the VG system, you don't need to run the O2 sensor, runs just fine without it.

But yes, you could relocate it a little further down. Just weld in a bung on the exhaust downpipe that you'll have to make anyways.