is it true about manifolds notoriously warping?

pascualid

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can check to see if it is warped by pulling it off and laying a straight edge on the flange. If it's warped you could get it milled flat or pick up a new one.

It's not unheard of, but I wouldn't say Datsuns are notorious for it. I would just say aluminum is an interesting material ;)

Are you using a header? The bottom bolts use a large 'washer' to hold the intake and exhaust manifold. If the two flanges are different thicknesses then the bolt and washer won't clamp properly.

I don't see how it could leak at the top, there are two large bolts on each runner to clamp it on. Are the two surfaces clean and undamaged? Is this intake separate from the exhaust or are the two manifolds clamped together under the carb?

Ok thank you. The manifold is just stock and yes it is under the carburator , which a burdon to remove and install, and clamped to the top of the exhaust manifold. I put a plate between the block and egr recirculation passage and blocked the vac. line from the thermal heat sensor ot egr, but left all the stuff on including the air galley which is an obstacle. I don't think that stuff was working properly and at any rate this problem was occuring before I made these changes. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
is there much difference? will i notice any difference?

The main difference is the lack of smog gear. As in no EGR, not heat riser, etc. Just nice and clean. :D

Port size is slightly smaller than the L20b, which helps torque, but can limit top end. But that's an L20b's forte, torque over top end. ;)

what would you want for one shipped to 36322?

Probably about $40 should cover it all. Email me if interested. john@roper-photo.com