Lurker with a few Datsuns!

Hi Everyone! Some may know me I'm Les an admin over on infamousnissan.com. I've been on and off here for a while but I've picked up a couple new trucks and hoping to get some ideas from others on fixing some of the issues. Anyway heres my trucks.

A 71 521

01855707.jpg

17bd4286.jpg

A 70 521

3313ed50.jpg

With an old "custom interior" lol

a8c988c3.jpg

ecc68037.jpg

My 65 NL320 which will be getting body dropped and air bagged this winter.

P2240008.jpg

Then my bagged 88 Hardbody with a modified tuned port chevy 350 and 6 speed manual

263405_10150242502844550_512169549_7482159_2199241_n.jpg

As for right now I'm fixing up the white 521 since it runs like a champ and all the electrical works. The green one has no trans so I have no idea if it runs or not. But I think between the 2 I can make a really good truck.

The white one has the sloppy shifter that hits me in the knee lol and I have the brake brackets from beebani to get rid of the drums. Looking forward to getting this one going!

Les

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The white 70 looks good as it is, maybe the green one could be a future VG30 project, it's sounding like you have the skills, but the 65 NL320 needs to be done yestersday, I like NLs. I want more/any to show up at the meets/shows to park with me. A 65 L320 parked with me at blue lake this year, it was a nice looking one.

The white one has the sloppy shifter that hits me in the knee lol and I have the brake brackets from beebani to get rid of the drums. Looking forward to getting this one going!

Les

Hey Les. Yeah the F4W63 has a 'Monkey Motion shifter, a name that is apt and well earned. You can replace part #18 & 19 with a nut and bolt with washers. Tighten it to bring in the fingers closer to the striker rod(#20). This cannot be tightened fully or the rod will be locked in position... just enough to reduce the side to side slack from wear. The control pin (#17) and the pin bushing (#15) can also be replaced or something substituted to reduce front to back movement. The cone rubber isolators (#8 32853 14600 $2 each) can also be replaced. My old 521 shifter was so worn you could rotate the shifter in a circle.

620stuff001Large-2.jpg

I do beleave your overriders have been moved, it is weird that stock they are semi in front of the turn signals. I am trying to decide if I should have the holes filled up when I have my bumper rechromed, and not have overriders, or to leave it the way it is and have it all plated. My NL had to have the metal replaced over the rear wheels as well, on both sides, it rusts from the inside out.

P2240008.jpg

Thanks guys!

Yea the white one was originally red but someone resprayed it and did the graphics probably around the same time as the interior. But its held up well. I'm thinking of repainting it in maybe a factory color. Other than red and green what were the factory colors for these trucks?

Yea the parts on the bumper have been moved at some point. Not sure why lol. But the 320 is my priority this winter. It runs great just needs some new electrical and a serious loosing of altitude!

Nice, an Alberta boy. I have seen your nissan at street wheelers in Lethbridge. Good to see you on Ratsun.

Haha thanks! Actually your truck came up in conversation yesterday when I was picking up the white one from lethbridge. I was told there was a really clean blue one down there lol. Seriously lethbridge is the old minitruck capital of the world I think. So many solid Datsuns, Toyotas and my buddies LUV have come from there haha.

Hey Les. Yeah the F4W63 has a 'Monkey Motion shifter, a name that is apt and well earned. You can replace part #18 & 19 with a nut and bolt with washers. Tighten it to bring in the fingers closer to the striker rod(#20). This cannot be tightened fully or the rod will be locked in position... just enough to reduce the side to side slack from wear. The control pin (#17) and the pin bushing (#15) can also be replaced or something substituted to reduce front to back movement. The cone rubber isolators (#8 32853 14600 $2 each) can also be replaced. My old 521 shifter was so worn you could rotate the shifter in a circle.

620stuff001Large-2.jpg

I'm going to try this! Did you slide the washers between the shaft and the fingers or just on the outside of it? The thing flops back and forth about 12" at the handle LOL

Haha thanks! Actually your truck came up in conversation yesterday when I was picking up the white one from lethbridge. I was told there was a really clean blue one down there lol. Seriously lethbridge is the old minitruck capital of the world I think. So many solid Datsuns, Toyotas and my buddies LUV have come from there haha.

I have been looking for a minitruck club around here but cant find any. If you want to sell the windshield from on of them 521s let me know.

I'm going to try this! Did you slide the washers between the shaft and the fingers or just on the outside of it? The thing flops back and forth about 12" at the handle LOL

On mine I slipped a washer(s) in between shaft and fingers on a bolt. Very difficult with it in the truck but it did reduce the slop. Hainz on here says to just use a nut and bolt with lots of washers on the outside and tighten and squeeze the fingers closer together.

Those shifters were great fun. On rights it would swing over and hit my knee. :lol:

Was it hard to get the bends to matchup?

Hate to say this, but I didn't do the bodywork on this vehicle, no patience. I didn't see the actual metal added, but I am sure there was bondohair involved, but when it was stripped down, the bondo was a inch thick or more, the previous owner(before mike I beleave) just filled the rust holes with bondo till there was no more room to fill, all the way to the inner fender, but that route kept the fender in that area rigid. The artist dug it all out the best he could and rebuilt it with new metal then covered it with a layer of bondohair.

DSCN0451.jpg

DSCN0453.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0454.jpg

Definitely dig the paint scheme on your lowered D21. Looks quite nice. How well does the 350 fit in that engine bay?

It's a tight fit! Haha. I was one of the first few to do the swap but it's becoming more and more common.

• 3 weeks later...