Had a dream last night

So I went to the FBC (Fucking Bike Club) ride last night, which was brutal. About 6-7 miles UP. We rode up to David's Pizza on the south hill. Freaking fun, but damn lot of work. So after a few beers and hanging out there Randy and Charlie and Cully and I headed back. The nice part of this was it was all uphill so the return was mainly downhill. Finally got back at 12:30 or somewhere, and of course from beer and steak and all sorts of odd bits, I had crazy dreams.

I don't remember most of them, but I do remember I had a green Unimog and I was driving it all around! It was bitchin'!

Case in point:

http://fbcspokane.blogspot.com/

In case any of you in Spokane want to come. It's a blast, normally not quite that intensive a ride, but definitely still worth it!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My business partner has one of those. Retired military rig from Europe. We did an engine rebuild as a project. Cab off of frame for access etc. They are bad ass! Mercedes 2.5L 6cyl gas power on his. Basically a run over anything rig. (including Honduhs!)

• Like 1

Hard to judge scale in that vid with nothing to compare it to. There is also (not sure if Mercedes or not) another 'army style' jeep thing around. Looks amphibious? Like the UN peacekeeper jeeps of the 60s?. Something like this Swedish Pvpjtgb 9031but with canvas covering. I see the guy at the junk yard all the time.

9cmpvpj.jpg

It's pretty big Mike, think the wheelbase of my extended cab, but with probably 38" tires. About the same width as a cornbinder scout. The earlier ones were a bit smaller. I looked at the brand new ones, they want damn near 100,000 euros for one! Whoo!

Here's an official site:

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/Unimog.flash.skipintro.html

127.9" wheelbase for the short version.

75.59" track width. Granted there's probably another foot of tire overhang from the track width.

Optional water fording package for 1.2 meters (3.9 ft) depth! Nice. That doesn't sound like that much, but figure that's factory approved to going through a 4 foot deep water crossing. Consider that would be about the bottom of the window/top of the door line on the hardbody. If you download the brochure, there's a flooded European (presumably) town with a unimog fire/rescue truck going through with water up to the doors. Whereas if it was the hardbody, I would probably be driving along with water up to the doors waiting for the underseat ECU to get wet and fry.

My dad had a 2 door when I was a kid. He bought it as surplus in Germany when he left his army station over there and had it shipped home. He sold it before I was old enough to claim it or drive it mellow.gif

We do this bike ride in Hollywood every month, if youre ever in the area and have a bike i would suggest giving it a shot, its fun as hell riding bikes through downtown LA with cops chasing 300+ people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMATkjS_ncA&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvlS_JtlHjE

Lol, that looks kind of like our bike rides, but damn, does no one wear helmets in Cali? Your streets must be better. Spokane has man-eating potholes and all sorts of other things. I just got a new helmet finally, more of a bmx style. Gotta protect what little brains I have left. And before anyone jumps on that, let me ask if you've ever been run over (literally) by a 70's Dodge, or gone off sideways on a jump and bonked your mellon on the ground. 'Cause I have! Hence the addiction to helmets.

I always wear a helmet when commuting to work. I have way too much to lose in life and couldn't bare to have my wife spoon feed me for the rest of her life.Even minor brain injuries can impair motor function and balance.

• Like 2

You know, the funny thing is I didn't wear a helmet for a brief time when I was at NAU. I actually wasn't wearing one the night I got run over. Ever since that point, I've worn one. Saved my ass when I went sideways off a little jump with a couple feet of air and landed with my head smacking the ground. Uber huge headache but REALLY glad I was wearing my helmet then. I wiped out into a downed tree one time on a ride in Flagstaff, went bonking along after bunny hopping a rain diverter and hitting loose dirt on the other side, accompanied by a downhill. Hop, wiggle wiggle, roll, smack! Still have some good scars on my knee from that one.

I think it follows under that general rule, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Plus where I mountain bike now there are rocks galore and multiple opportunities to launch into them or the trees surrounding single tracks. In fact, I finally just bought a new helmet before this last ride as I picked up my old one, looked at the yellowing plastic, and realized the sticker on the inside said Jan '00! Little bit out of date. :D

newhelmet.jpg