Misaligned head ?!

Savetherock

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens is this... The head has two shims... And if they are missing or bent, it could end up like that. My gasket would sit crooked. But two new shims from the dealer and its all good. I use the same gasket, felpro. It sits flush with the chain cover bolts holes.

It was over heating horribly when I bought it. I looked it over, but it was a greasy mess. I didn't even think to check the head alignment. As I was cleaning it up to diagnose the problem I noticed it was missing the two front bolts. When I blew carb cleaner in the holes I saw they were misaligned!

I stripped the engine today, and will pull the head tomorrow.

Guess this shows you what happens when someone that doesn't know what they are doing gets ahold of an engine. Seems like the rest of the headbolts would have forced the headgasket semi close. Good question datzenmike, was the topend getting any oil, good question.

All the gaskets I've seen have an oval with a copper crush ring to seal it.

(top middle) Would be directly above the oil pressure sender in the block.

00770001.jpg

Hey Datzenmike, your photo of the headgasket peaked my interest in the headbolt holes in the gasket, so I pulled one of the old gaskets out and took a look, the holes are very big for the headbolts, so if the dowels were missing, I could see the gasket cutting off the water flow between the head and the block at least partially, and if the headgasket was moved towards the drivers side even an eighth inch, it will cut the oil flow off to the head, but only towards the drivers side, any other direction doesn't seem to be a problem with the oil supply to the head taking the headbolt holes in the gasket into cosideration, the gasket will move an eighth inch any direction without the dowels.

I once had a customer at NAPA try and tell me his head didn't require locating dowels. :blink:

Maybe not with a Datsun, but this would be true for a SBC when fitted with screw in studs. With something like 16 studs per head, the chances of getting all those lined up along with the gasket & dowels and still being correctly aligned over the block, is minimal. Both Felpro & ARP actually state to remove dowels when using head studs. Unfortunately mass produced stuff is not always that accurate.

FWIW, when using studs, you should lay the gasket on the block deck, then install all the studs (through the gasket & into the block), then install the head down over the studs. Thought that might be useful information for someone.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe not with a Datsun, but this would be true for a SBC when fitted with screw in studs. With something like 16 studs per head, the chances of getting all those lined up along with the gasket & dowels and still being correctly aligned over the block, is minimal. Both Felpro & ARP actually state to remove dowels when using head studs. Unfortunately mass produced stuff is not always that accurate.

FWIW, when using studs, you should lay the gasket on the block deck, then install all the studs (through the gasket & into the block), then install the head down over the studs. Thought that might be useful information for someone.

True, but this guy didn't have head studs and was also wondering why his head gasket wasn't sealing. ;)

Soooo.... did you fix it?

YES! I pulled the head, measured the cylinder bores with a gauge to be sure they weren't egged and blowing by (they were square), cleaned everything up, threw on some new dowels I picked up from the Nissan dealership, and did a full gasket change. I also took the down time to have my radiator disassembled, boiled, and reamed at the local radiator shop for 80 bucks. Paired with a carb rebuild as well and converted electronic ignition, It is working great! Starts up immediately, idles perfectly smooth, and NEVER overheats now. The only thing I don't like is the harsh transmission. It is a truck that handles like a car but shifts like an old Hilux. I'll throw up an engine bay pic tomorrow. I have been super busy with school and work lately.

True, but this guy didn't have head studs and was also wondering why his head gasket wasn't sealing. ;)

Yes, no studs. I wasn't wondering why my gasket wasn't sealing though. In fact, I was wondering why my gasket was sealing off my oil channels so good that my engine was overheating!

It was missing one dowel, and was torqued down crooked.