Buick powered Datsun 510

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So! Are you going to use the 455 Buick Electra cast Aluminum front drums with the shrink fit Iron liners? The 1970 Buick 455 block with 1971 Stage 1 heads will take unleaded gas and still put out way too much torque and Horsepower! Good luck!

Actually its a 76 Block im running cause it had the best oiling system of the for the Buick 455s. Im running Ta Performance aluminum heads, good weight saving, plus flows better then a fully ported/polished iron stage 1 head. The motor is built pretty well, 11.5:1 forged pistons, roller rockers, high rise intake, 850 quick fuel carb, decent cam. I can sneak pump gas in it too

i put a 455 buick in a 76 280z 17 years ago. the 455 buick 35 lbs heavier than a SBC. over 100lbs lighter than a BBC. the motor set back nicely so that #1 cyl was on the on the front axle. i used the th400 that i got with the motor - i pulled the whole thing, motor and trans from a 1970 225 at the scrap yard for $125. that was the first and only year for the 360hp/510 ft lb motor. but it had the small 1/2 oil galleries. the car was all datsun except for the motor and trans, the swap took 9 days and $200. it ran 12.8. I changed the exhaust a bit and put an alum intake (B4B) and it ran 11.9. tires were 245 60 14s i pulled from the garbage bin behind a local tire store...those were the days!

this 510 is pretty cool - and well done, i'm glad to see that others are thinking buick.

• 7 months later...

Race season is starting up next month, so hopefully I'll be posting some times up. Last time at the track it decided to break both axles on the launch. We're all together though, ready to go.

Working on my tow truck now though, building a 53 chevy 5 window with a 5.9 cummins. Hopefully I'll be done wit that soon enough to make it down in a couple months.