Welding the Maxima's Gas Tank

Welded up a hole in my maxima gas tank today. This was kind of a scary process considering all the horror stories I've heard about welders blowing themselves up doing the exact job...

FYI- So here's what I did and had no problems. In order to drive off all the oxygen and prevent an explosion, we used argon from the mig and torch welded the hole.

First - emptied the tank and plugged up all of the openings and hoses with stoppers of all sorts: bolts, corks and sticks- whatever made a decent seal. Plugged everything tight except one hose that fit snug over the brass nipPle on the end of the argon hose. Started up the argon and let it run for a while til the the gas smell coming out of the hole died a little. Then unplugged one of the hoses on the bottom to vent exces argon that direction so it wouldn't blow holes in my weld- then braised up the hole. Kept argon running during the weld and afterwards until the metal cooled a bit. It worked. No explosion. Hole plugged, and no water in the fuel.

That was not a job that I enjoyed, just because of the potential for Explosion kept me from relaxing at any point.

I know there are other ways to do this, and I'm hoping we can get some more posted up and some more qualified people than I posting some of the dos and don'ts of welding up fuel tanks for future reference.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've welded ton's of fuel tanks. My favorite ways is to take it to the car wash with some good degreaser. Most car washes have hot water, that mixed with a good cleaner works great. By the time your done welding all the heat has evaporated any water that was still in it. I like your idea though! The first time it was scary! Actually the first weld is still kinda scary :)

I've welded ton's of fuel tanks. My favorite ways is to take it to the car wash with some good degreaser. Most car washes have hot water, that mixed with a good cleaner works great. By the time your done welding all the heat has evaporated any water that was still in it. I like your idea though! The first time it was scary! Actually the first weld is still kinda scary :)

Would imagine it was a slow day....at the car wash.

The Owners/Operators didn't question you on WTF you were up to?

;) ............ :D

Car washes hate me too. Been caught a few times degreasing transmissions and mc engines. They see me coming. Dry ice...great idea. Same principle- drive off any oxygen, can't have an explosion. My Neanderthal brain can get that, but yeah, it's still stinking scary. I might be a little more comfortable on the next one. We'll see.