back not level, torsion bars again....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would save your self some effort and your hand and not mess with the overload spring reinstallation. It should not have a noticable effect on ride height or ride quality until you start to laod some weight into the bed of the truck.

I prefer a good gas shock. Monroe or Gabriel shocks work fine. But on a budget the cheapie non-gas stuff is usually better than the wore out stockers, they just dont last very long usually.

Jason

That would be fine, but they are not any better than the application specific stuff that you can go to the auto parts store and buy. The rear shocks have an odd mounting with the stud at the bottom.

Gas shocks are not designed to be run that way, so make sure that you get ones that can handle that.

Again, that problem is solved by buying the proper shocks that were designed for your truck, not a universal shock.

Also, there are only two MAJOR shock manufactures in the world. Gabriel and Monroe. Usually these other little brands like DJM are made by one of the two. So you are generally paying some extra markup also.

Do you have autozone locally? I dont like them for some stuff, but shocks are fine there. They were on sale this month.

Jason

I kid you not, one side was lower by 1/2 inch, put this gas a just shocks and measured the height and it was now even.

Yes, it's possible I guess if using a gas charged shock. At rest they expand to their full open position. Sometimes you have to compress them to get them on... could lift a vehicle slightly I suppose. Once they wear in they may sag back sure to when worn out.

Yes, it's possible I guess if using a gas charged shock. At rest they expand to their full open position. Sometimes you have to compress them to get them on... could lift a vehicle slightly I suppose. Once they wear in they may sag back sure to when worn out.

that being said, i wont expect miracles with the replacement on that, but i do expect it to ride better! felt like it was riding on bump stops before i lowered it and it was 8 inches away from the bump stops!!!

The other thing that could have been affecting the 1/4" in the rear is uneven adjustment of the front torsion bars. You would not even notice that 1/4" when you have 3" of fender gap, but when you lower the gap gets closer and you start to notice differences.

My truck, the rear axle is not completely centered under the bed. its off to one side a little and was not very noticable until i lowered it more.

Jason

well i bought my shocks today....27 bucks each from advanced. they'll be here tomorrow after 2.....cannot wait to put them on. going to go ahead and do the t/ bars here in a few minutes (i bought bombermanland for my wii the other day and i cannot stop playing those damn mini games!) adn then we'll see where we sit...if that doesnt do it, tomorrow will be the shocks, then if it's still like that, the spring re-installation.....

Also, there are only two MAJOR shock manufactures in the world. Gabriel and Monroe. Usually these other little brands like DJM are made by one of the two.

Jason

you forgot about ranchero.... there kinda big and make there own if im not mistaken.....

I've got all kinds of good stuff stashed away!

The real way to bolt-on disc brakes from factory Datsun parts,

how to create a 250hp L-series engine for less than $100,

HID headlight swaps from eBay that are good quality and work great,

and so much more!

:lol:

I've got all kinds of good stuff stashed away!

The real way to bolt-on disc brakes from factory Datsun parts,

how to create a 250hp L-series engine for less than $100,

HID headlight swaps from eBay that are good quality and work great,

and so much more!

Thanks the a-arm stuff is for another vehicle entirely, I just wanted to show what I meant ;)

i pulled them and re indexed them, only problem is they don't line up! it seems like there is a spline difference between the 2....i effed with it for a good 30 minutes and gave up......it's still up on jack stands, and I'll finish in the morning after some help from you all!!! what do i need to do? and when i re-index them, i need them as far up as i can put them, or just even with the cross member? and do I do the adjustment bolts tight, or do i put them mid way adn let them tighten up as i lower the truck?