back not level, torsion bars again....

ok, the rear is no longer level after the 3 inch drop i did yesterday....i am about to do the t/bars and see if that helps, then imma redo the rear if i have to. what do you think could be the problem? this is my first drop (hence me crushing my hand) but i know whats going on and i don't see any problems that would cause this? also, i know how to lower the truck with the t/bars, bu ti want to re-index them same time, but i lost the link to the how to, and the write-up section doesn't have one.... pleas help? you will be rewarded with pics!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to set it on ground to measure the drop in the front. If your hitting the bumpstops take them out.

Your rear leaves are probably worn out and uneven. Pulling leaves makes it worse.

Pic's of re-indexing are in the FAQ in my sig ;)

Mine sits uneven both in the rear and front.I managed to get the front to sit even according to the frame to ground and the body is uneven.Tortion bar wear I am sure.The rear is about 1/4" uneven also.I inspected and found uneven spacing between the leaf springs.I suppose you could heat up the taller one and try to even it out that way.

Mine sits uneven both in the rear and front.I managed to get the front to sit even according to the frame to ground and the body is uneven.Tortion bar wear I am sure.The rear is about 1/4" uneven also...

Yeah, these springs are like 30 years old now. If the truck spend a lot of it's life being driven solo, the driver's side will always be lower than the passenger side. New springs is the only fix I've found. :(

pics of the back t wheels, the one with the cap is the pass side, it sits about 1/4 lower than the driver side....

sdsdaf009.jpg

sdsdaf008.jpg

The one with the cap looks like the driver's side to me. Passenger side has the gas filler. The driver's side probably rides level with you in it.

so where do i buy new ones?

I got mine from Ray's Champion Spring in Fort Worth. That might not help you. :D

Look in your local yellow pages. It'll be there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you add lowering blocks on your rear end, the distance from where the shock mounts doesn't change. Therefore you don't need shorter shocks.

Normally you would be correct, BUT if you modify the springs in any way you do move the shock mounts, and thus change the effective stroke length.

You would really need to measure the installed height before and after.

I kid you not, one side was lower by 1/2 inch, put this gas a just shocks and measured the height and it was now even.

Aha, you should have mentioned gas shocks. Those can make a difference.

Datsuns don't come with them, so I never really use them. They do ugly things in the front of a 510.