Truck undercoating

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are tons of products for this, most of the aerosol products I have used have been below expectations. Be sure to tape off the rocker panels because most undercoat products do have serious overspray issues, and most of them are nasty and take some strong cleaners to remove once they hit paint, even before they dry.

After working on a few 521 trucks, and seeing the rust that happened under the undercoat, I would suggest undercoating does not really add as much protection as a sales man at a dealer selling you "rust prevention package" when you buy a new car.

I believe the most common reason the floors rust out on the cab of a 521 is the vinyl floor mat does not allow water to evaporate, dirt gets under it, grinds off the paint, and then the rust starts.

I would paint the bottom of the cab with a good quality epoxy primer, after removing the rust first. Then paint with a suitable top coat.

Check out my build thread.........did the bedliner on the floors, inner fenders and backs of the fenders............i believe it will work well as an undercoat and even a frame paint, however do not use an aerosol coating, as they just cant hold up to the abuse of mother nature.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/33613-77-longbox-build-thread/

far warning with por15, follow the directions to a T and paint over it as even the slightest chance of uv light hitting it will cause it to degrade rapidly. I don't have a datto truck but my roadster does have a frame so its kinda like a truck. What I did was remove rust as much as I could.. welded up any holes created by this and then por15'ed the underbody along with beliner.