the 72 s30 aka "daphnie"

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he said he wanted to build a 240z that could drift, hence the ka motor. since the engine would have to be behind the a arms.

Laecaon should go back and read...

Lols, What I said still goes... And I can read just fine as what I said does not concern s30kid...

Please get drifting out of your mind.

x2

he said he wanted to build a 240z that could drift, hence the ka motor. since the engine would have to be behind the a arms.

altho it would be sexy to think of a 240z is a terrible drift car.

when you smash the shit out of it your not going to bother fixing it right (cuz its just a drift slut right?)

it will slowly die.

and it dosent have the steering angle to lay out a killer long sweeping drift.

no power steering will help that.

i AGREE !!!!!!!

I go to drift events all the time, they are a blast to watch and fun to hang out at.

went to one just last month.

but even from a mechanical and technical stand point the S30 is not a good drift car.

it just flat out dosent have the steering angle.

if you guys think your the first ones ever to think of drifting your Z, news flash, your not.

its been mechanically discussed for years, and theres a very good reason you dont see a 240z out there.

of course you can get the ass end out

402uvs040728-003.jpg

but youl never have the angle to really get that prime drift angle.

IMG_3107-560x378.jpg

look at the steering angle here ^^^ now go outside and turn the wheel in your Z all the way to one side.

Except that having a MR layout in a short wheelbase car only makes snap oversteer worse. For all I know that could be what drifters want, but it scares the shit out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

but youl never have the angle to really get that prime drift angle.

IMG_3107-560x378.jpg

look at the steering angle here ^^^ now go outside and turn the wheel in your Z all the way to one side.

Is that even stock? S13 guys mod the knuckles for more angle and looking at my 510 suspension the same idea is possible, dont now anything about z cars but would doubt it has much diference.

wow didnt know i gained popularity lol

lots to cover...ill start with skib...

ive already taken all that into consideration, im going to mod the crap out of my steering, going to grab the power steering equip out of an s13, i have the pump and everything that came with the ka, gonna weld the diff (cuz im a ratsun guy and i dont have a million bucks to drop on lsd) buy some tokico blues and some ksport springs to stiffen the suspension, i was looking at the wheel base and its not that much shorter than the s13, i understand that it will basically be an MR but i need the center of gravity to be behind the a pillar and not infront of it, using either a ka or sr (or even a ca) will cause the weight to be shifted, depending on exactly where i move the mounts i could figure out the perfect motor position to gain the right center of gravity (on a computer that is) and as far as power is concerned? im not worried about that at all, im confident that the ka24de will perform as expected, i know im not gonna be making sick power just n/a, but with the right topend build and tuning i can make a torquey beast, thats really all i need to be able to break the tires, everything from there is the steering, honestly if an 86 corolla can drift, or a stock miata can drift, theres no reason why a modded to hell s30 cant. i am determined to get this project going and once i have it completed you will be seeing videos and pictures of my trials and yes i will include the ones where i fubar a drift and spin out, i have ran this build by a local shop, whom ive known the owners for quite some time now and they are all excited for this, they have been helping me map the whole thing out, and they build nothing but drift and show cars.

i do want to apologize that there have not been any updates recently, ive been busy dealing with personal issues and financial problems, but the build is slowly moving. i plan on having the ka in around the end of december, ive been looking at buying a newer truck to tow my car and to haul parts cuz all i have is...well my z lol...but yeah like i said in december there will be more updates and more oics for everyone.

im glad to see that ive caught some attention for this build too, i want to thank everyone who has shown intrest, not to sound cheesy or anything but it kinda put sme back into the positive mindset of me actually finishing this thing, im a very pessimistic person and yeah, i loose faith in my build everynow and then, but i see this and im like, okay gotta get it finished these guys wanna see this happen lol. so again thank you guys i appreciate the indirect support :cool:

and jalen...quit thinking about drifting, you gotta at least have balls first, then they gotta drop :P jk

oh and skib i saw that video a long time ago when i was checking the net to see if anyone has ever tried this and that s30 still has the l28 in it and doesnt have anything for mods from what it looks like, its still monster truckin like crazy, so you gotta take that into consideration, that and we dont truely know the drivers experience to make an honest judgement of the crappy drift, put a tried and true drifter in an s30 and then we can make jugements...now that i think about, ive seen an s30 drift, its was about 5 years ago, it was at a local drift event, and at that time i was all about toyota, i had a 77 corolla that i was trying to build into a drift car and yeah thats a whole nother nightmare that i dont want to remember...but this guy was holding down some good angles...gotta remember this was 5 years ago and i didnt know a whole lot about the sport but i noticed this guy was holding angles just as well as the s13s were, and better than the ae86 that was there, all i knew was it looked awesome and he did it like a pro...i never did get to ride with him but i always wanted to...theres gonna be a drift event in the beginning of december, ill take my camera and if i see an s30 there ill be sure to post oics, not to disprove or anying tho, i mean i love that this topic has gained this attention but i want to show that its not impossible, truely when you think about it, with the right ambition and the right kinda bank account you can do anything to a car...i saw some guy had made his cugar into a bugati...it can be done.

and with that im goin to bed, just got home from work and im exausted...ill take oics of what i have done recently and post em...its not much but itll be something for jalen to drool over till december ;)

Is that even stock? S13 guys mod the knuckles for more angle and looking at my 510 suspension the same idea is possible, dont now anything about z cars but would doubt it has much diference.

to be honest the dime already has pretty sick angle, its just having the power steering or a large steering wheel to be able to crank it back, but also honestly you dont really need the powersteering, the car litterally corrects itselt and you just need to put the right amount of oversteer into the equation to hold it out. and if you do a ka build...be very careful you dont put too much power into that motor, and upgrade to a suby diff because you will only scatter your spider gear in the stock dime diff. as far as suspension goes, tokico and ksports all the way. my budy is building a dime drift car as well, 4 door, has a ka24, just the sohc not the de. and its very powerful, and he cant really get a drift right because of the power, he spins out because of the amount of torque...and the short wheel base (another reason why i believe ill have an easier time with this build than he is) but honestly like i said, it just comes down to desire, time and above all, money. anything is possible. and if you have any questions about building your car for drift hit me up anytime ill pm you my # since i dont always have internet access.

okay im finally going to bed!

He's ALIVE! ollz

And if you ever come to Washington i'll teach you how to drift, and then scare the shit out of you. I just wall tapped the hell out of a '81 supra mark 2 with a 2jz this weekend and i still dont have a license. I think the best way is to learn from your mistakes and I need OICS!!!cool.gif

I really want to make my Z into a drift car too! I just haven't had a build thread to help me outsad.gif. So im going to be following this thread like crazy! Thanks for doing this and dont give up!!!!

no problem haha

i wont ever give up just been busy trying to buy a new daily driver ya know?

cant be driving a d1 spec drift car around town all the time :P lol jk but seriously, been lookin into getting like an s10 pickup or a hard body nissan, what ever i can find /afford.

and one more thing...this is not a project for the shallow of pockets, this build has put me in the red a few times, but its totally worth it. goodluck with your build if you have any questions just ask here i mean...theres skib, leacoan, and myself to answer anything, id be more than happy to help

yeah its gonna be bouncy as shit, but its only temp till i get s13 suspension all around

forget about all that, ksport coilovers, techno tune camber plates, custom a-arms front and back, forget about the s13 stuff, the only thing you may need to swap for an s30 drift project would be the rack and pinion along with the knuckles and everything, take the s13 struts out, throw in some tokico blues with ksport coilovers fully adjustable and you should be set to be able to stay stable thru a 3rd gear sweeper AND if my theory is correct, with the s13 rack and knucks you should be able to get the desired turning angle skib so majestically showed us a few posts back (thank you skib :P)

but jalen seriously, you can do what you want theres nothing wrong with that...but...do some research on the s13/14/15 and find out why it is the drift car choice for so many professionals. thats what i did and now i have a clear idea of what needs to be done to actually go to a drift event, throw down, and not get laughed at, trust me, just doing the s13 suspension swap wont grant you drift abilities.

do some research bud, just some friendly advise. :cool: