510 Rear Spring and Shocks

I'm having some trouble finding rear springs for my 510... I don't have coilovers and I'm looking to get some stiff springs to use in the stock location. I'm looking to run 900-950 pound springs in the rear... where can I get springs this stiff? I need 10" springs IIRC, with 3" ID. I was thinking about just getting some 4x4 springs and cutting them? :unsure:

Also what shocks does everyone recommend for the rear? I have KYB GR2 inserts up front with 225" GC springs.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to run 900-950 pound springs in the rear... where can I get springs this stiff? I need 10" springs IIRC, with 3" ID. I was thinking about just getting some 4x4 springs and cutting them? :unsure:

The spring rate is dependent on diameter of the coil, thickness of the wire and number of coils. The formula is ....

springs_formula.gif

K = Spring rate in pounds per inch

W = Diameter of the spring wire in inches

G = 12,000,000 for steel springs (a constant)

N = Number of active coils (number of coils that are free to move + 1/2 coil)

D = Diameter of the coils measured to the center of the wire, in inches

For example a coil with a wire diameter of 0.725" with coils that are 4.25 across center to center and 6 coils high would have a spring rate of 899 pounds. Changing any of the parameters even a minute amount will drastically change the spring rate. Just increasing the wire diameter to 0.75" produces a spring rate over 1000 pounds. Removing one coil increases the rate to 1050 pounds and so on. 510s have a specific coil diameter so not just any truck coil will fit.

I've seen a few "high performance" springs for 510s but I have no idea how stiff they are... I'm really looking to get my spring rates matching as I have 225 lbs up front and I'm planning on Autocrossing the car. Do you have any idea as to the spring rate of those springs in the thread you linked to?

• Like 1

by the time you buy a good set of rear shocks and a custom set of springs you could buy a set of rear coilovers from Troy and match the spring rate to the front, he ran a special last month I think on the rear coilovers $510 total and they are rebuildable and revalvable... if you are going to try and be some what competitive your never going to build it and leave it alone I change springs and ride height almost every event...

Clayton

I'm running Ermish rear coilovers and no rear sway bar .. . . . it feels SO much better than my flared 2 door when it had KYB's, stiff springs, and a rear sway bar

... . .for me the adjustability is HUGE,, , , when it's slammed with stock camber I have too much wheel-spin,, ,, but it still feels amazing in the corners..... :D

• Like 1

I understand rear coilovers would be the best thing to go with, and I am planning on getting those later, but they are not an option right now. I'm just trying to find some decently stiff rear springs I can run in the meantime...

I have a 510 with a KA24DE, Subaru LSD, 280ZX front struts and brakes, GC coilovers with 225 lb springs and KYB inserts. Just trying to match the rears for now until I can afford rear coilovers. A decent set of springs and shocks will not cost $500-600...

Guess I'll just have to make some cheap truck springs work since no one seems to know where to get the springs I'm looking for. :(

Also what shocks do I need to order if I want to run KYB GR-2s in the rear? I was told front shocks for a '68 Camaro will fit, but I have some next to me and they definitely will not fit.

I have a 450 lb truck spring on the way... 3" ID and the coil diameter will work with the 510. I even called Eibach directly and asked them if my idea would work and they said absolutely. I think people who say cutting springs is bad are thinking of stock springs that usually have a progressive spring rate.

Since I'm a nice person I'll post the spring up here in case anyone else is in the same situation as I am.

http://www.offroadwa.../productID/3647

18" tall spring, 3" ID. If you get the 450 lb spring and cut it exactly in half, you would have two 900 lb springs at 9" tall. Cut a tad off of those if you want the rear a little lower and you're at 950-1000 lbs. If you want something a little bit softer, the 400 lb spring would be perfect.

I also have some KYB GR-2s on the way.... front shocks for a '68 Camaro do not work... it is the REARS that you need.

• Like 2

I'm having some trouble finding rear springs for my 510... I don't have coilovers and I'm looking to get some stiff springs to use in the stock location. I'm looking to run 900-950 pound springs in the rear... where can I get springs this stiff? I need 10" springs IIRC, with 3" ID. I was thinking about just getting some 4x4 springs and cutting them? :unsure:

Also what shocks does everyone recommend for the rear? I have KYB GR2 inserts up front with 225" GC springs.

hey a buddy of mine did that and its working great. he has a single cam ka with an sr trans and a subaru diff. he yokes the crap outta this thing and its stiff as a board. he has f150 diesel springs in the front and idr what he has in the back. but it works. im sorry i cant help with the rear but at least you know its been done and its not bad at all

• Like 1

tokiko blues are real nice and reasonable price use roadster comp springs if you can find them they are very stiff I have d50 springs they are ok much better than stock or look into suspension techniques springs

Ermish coilover set up might be the best choice overall

The Roadster Comp springs are on the lower end of the springrate I'm looking for.. but those would definitely work. Now if I could just find a pair for sale at a reasonable price..... lol.

D-50 springs aren't quite stiff enough..I think those are only 200-300 lbs.

Still waiting on my truck spring and shocks to arrive.. will get pics and stuff later.

I have a 450 lb truck spring on the way... 3" ID and the coil diameter will work with the 510. I even called Eibach directly and asked them if my idea would work and they said absolutely. I think people who say cutting springs is bad are thinking of stock springs that usually have a progressive spring rate.

Since I'm a nice person I'll post the spring up here in case anyone else is in the same situation as I am.

http://www.offroadwa.../productID/3647

18" tall spring, 3" ID. If you get the 450 lb spring and cut it exactly in half, you would have two 900 lb springs at 9" tall. Cut a tad off of those if you want the rear a little lower and you're at 950-1000 lbs. If you want something a little bit softer, the 400 lb spring would be perfect.

I also have some KYB GR-2s on the way.... front shocks for a '68 Camaro do not work... it is the REARS that you need.

I did the exact same thing for the rear springs on my car. Works great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this topic has been beat to death but I figured I'd add some information I found today.

2005 dodge Dakota with the 4.7

Coil Spring Free Height : 14.17" Driver Side/13.86" Pass. Side
Coil Spring I.D. : 3.13" Driver Side/3.13" Pass. Side
Coil Spring Load Height : 11" Driver Side/11" Pass. Side
Coil Spring Type : 1 Tangential End; 1 Pigtail End
Design Load : 2185 Driver Side/1970 Pass. Side
Spring Rate : 690 Driver Side/690 Pass. Side
Wire Diameter : .69" Driver Side/.69" Pass. Side

2006-2009 SRT charger and magnum 6.1

Coil Spring Free Height : 12.14"
Coil Spring I.D. : 2.93"
Coil Spring Type : (2) Tangential Ends
Design Load : 1883
Spring Rate : 880
Wire Diameter : .69"

Can these be added to the list of possible usable springs?