can be squeezed some HP's from a J13???

JP521

Hi everyone, someone tried to get more strength of a J13, tell me what can be modify???. To start. I increse the range of valve opening, now i was thinking to place iridium spark plugs. This will damage the engine???

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had an L16... yes, but swapping an L20B into the J13 place requires cutting to old mounting location off and adding something for the L series to mount to. Assuming there are any Ls around. Central America used J15s I believe.

J13 -- you can gain perhaps 5 HP. To get more it is easier and less expensive to swap in a better engine. Putting an similar-sized A14 in will give you 10 HP more. L16 will give you 25 HP more.

I increse the range of valve opening

Yes, that may damage the engine long term, the valves & rocker will wear if you have the lash much looser than stock.

now i was thinking to place iridium spark plugs

You won't gain any HP from this. Brand new regular plugs will do the same as Iridium. Iridium will last longer. Or just use regular plugs and re-gap them every 12 months. Iridium needs no re-gapping.

A long shot but, the Japanese domestic market had a PL411SS [sS Sport Sedan, not the SSS Super Sport Sedan] and PL411SW Sport Wagon that had a J13 with twin Hitachi SU carburetors, like the MG. It might help but I don't know any Horsepower or Torque number to give you.

Hi everyone, someone tried to get more strength of a J13, tell me what can be modify???. To start. I increse the range of valve opening, now i was thinking to place iridium spark plugs. This will damage the engine???

If your looking for a big differance, you will have to put a differant engine in the truck, there is not much out there performance wise for the J13.

A engine swap will be a great improve but in my country the A14, L16 and L20 start to desapere jajajajajaja and is hard to find a complete good engine of those. Thanks for the advices!!!

How about a small turbo charger off a motorcycle?

Doubt iridium spark plugs will damage the engine, how about a Pertronix electronic ignition. I think there is a Pertronix available for the J13, plus a flamethrower coil. Can't hurt if you can get them in Bolivia.

We are used to having choices but that doesn't mean that someone can't squeeze some power out of a J13 if that is all they have. Isn't it possible that there might be some performance parts for MG's that might fit on a J13 engine.

Here is a thread on a guy building a MG Midget for Bonneville speed trials, might give some inspiration and maybe some ideas.

Pertronix won't add any HP (not any more than new points & plugs would). It will add reliability, it is definitely worth doing.

Turbo is actually a good idea. Definitely would give a HP boost. Keep it to 5 psi and the J13 could probably handle it with no loss of relibility and you wouldn't even need an intercooler. Just make sure to re-torque the head bolts before you add the turbo.

A small turbo??? No. I'm a fan of N/A engines (except for the SR20DET jejeje) but a twin carb of a A14 is a great idea!!!. A series engine share some parts with the J series, right??? Intake headers will be shared???. Pics yeah, soon i´ll start a project topic!!!

The A and J blocks don't share intake or exhaust manifolds, they are differant bolt patterns and the J block #2 and 3 cylinders share an exhaust outlet in the head, and also #1 and 2 share an intake hole, 3 and 4 also share an intake hole, the A block, everything has its own hole or tube.

The J15 can take any of the carburation & manifolds from the MGB and I would guess that the J13 would be the same. Could be an improvement there.

Head is a direct swap but be wary of the big valves hitting the edge of the small cylinders.

Engine is a direct swap too.

BillM