burning oil

jon521

If your not using the entire system, you can leave it plugged. At that point your just giving the possible pressure in the crankcase somewhere to go. Which would be through valve cover vent.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good working PCV system does not rob horsepower. It recycles unburnt gases back into the combustion chamber, and helps suck water vapor out of the engine's oil. Water in oil is not good. The carburetor is set up to run with it in place.

Another good advantage of a PCV system is the engine crankcase operates at a slight vacuum, and this does a lot to prevent oil leaks.

I have a 1948 Willy's jeep it has a PCV system. Every modern car has a PCV system.

Your Datsun engine will be a run better with the PCV system, and it will stink less. Put it back on.

L-16 PCV valve number 11810-A3501

L-16 PCV hose number 11828-23002

hainz, i have a straight hose going to my air filter, but i think im going to put one of those small, cone air filters on the vent. as for the case breather, i would look into get a valve, but for now i will open it up and see how it runs.

If your not using the entire system, you can leave it plugged. At that point your just giving the possible pressure in the crankcase somewhere to go. Which would be through valve cover vent.

Yes it is better to vent the block. Even though the rocker cover is vented, it is still good to vent the block so the engine don't have to push air from bottom to top.

?

I do not know about Ratsun dealers. I got the two parts at Tonkin Nissan, In wilsonville oregon, in April.

PCVValveHose.jpg

wow, thats awesome, not too far from me. how much was it total? so the valve goes on the intake, and the hose goes to the valve and then the vent?

Almost 40 posts on this.

Be honest if your motor is burning oil its still going to.

PCV valve isn't going to fix this.

Change your oil/filter, drive the shit out of it. (also take note where 4 qts of oil fill to on your dipstick, you may be over full) If the oil rings are stuck or sticking this may free them up. If the oil gets black within a couple of weeks you're burning it, not much you can do about it. End of story.

Although running a PCV system is generally a good idea, if yours is currently capped, the PCV isn't the problem. Blue smoke due to the PCV is usually when you have the check valve and it either gets stuck open or breaks internally. I'm guessing you got some oil slipping past the rings, but you should hope it is only the valve seals as that's easier to deal with.

I will plan on doing valve seals. I changed the oil when I bought the truck (less than 3000 miles ago) and it was a little over full. The oil is not black, still a good carmel color. Tomorrow I will will check what the smoke looks like again. I have an idea....I will update when I'm confirm a few things.

so i checked to make sure that it was blue smoke, not white. my idea was that it may be smoking because of a fuel problem, because the mpg on my last tank of gas was 14 :( and my plugs are all black as night so im running rich. but the smoke was definetly blue, not white. i fixed my oil leak though, so now i can keep an eye on the oil level and get an idea of how much it is burning.

heres an idea!

read these instructions very carefully.

1. buy a head gasket $12.99

2. buy rings $30.00

3. buy valve stem seals $15.00

4. buy a weber 32/36 dgav $40 used

5. install...

6. thank Sick620 for making your life easier,,,, :D