Where does antifreeze come from?

albyneau

Now, for the first person that can tell me where antifreeze comes from~ you will receive one *attaboy*, and a cold frosty one @ Canby!

Scott

Well, Canby's come -n- gone, and I nearly forgot about this one~ as it seems everyone else did as well. So tomorrow after work I'll go buy that cold frosty one and ponder whether to save it for the next trivia trophy, or tittilate my tonsils with it.... this is makin me thirsty~

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) as we know it was invented accidentally by the Nazis early in WWII, while looking for a cold-tolerant synthetic lubricant to allow their fighters to fly at higher altitudes. While it failed to have the lubricative qualities desired (and after a couple burned up/wrecked planes) the colligative properties (effect on both hot & cold temps) were not lost to their scientists.

And that's the way it was, seventy years ago today~ or was it yesterday...?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody said Nitrisoxide ans water injection was also a german thing in fighters.

also the the first ejection seat.back of a Stuka

Yep~ we owe a lot more to the germans than what they've gotten credit for...

And we owe the Nazis a little more sumthin too. Thank God it was only the top echelon that was f***d up in da head!

Nuff said on that. Movin on....

Well, Canby's come -n- gone, and I nearly forgot about this one~ as it seems everyone else did as well. So tomorrow after work I'll go buy that cold frosty one and ponder whether to save it for the next trivia trophy, or tittilate my tonsils with it.... this is makin me thirsty~

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) as we know it was invented accidentally by the Nazis early in WWII, while looking for a cold-tolerant synthetic lubricant to allow their fighters to fly at higher altitudes. While it failed to have the lubricative qualities desired (and after a couple burned up/wrecked planes) the colligative properties (effect on both hot & cold temps) were not lost to their scientists.

And that's the way it was, seventy years ago today~ or was it yesterday...?

Charles-Adolphe Wurtz frowns on your shenanigans.

Too bad that story isn't true.

Ethylene Glycol was "discovered" in 1859 by Charles-Adolphe Wurtz (who was French). Its first commercial use was by Germany, but it was in WWI, not WWII, and it was as a substitute for Glycerin in dynamite. By the 1920s almost all dynamite producers had shifted to Ethylene Glycol.

Ethylene Glycol's antifreeze properties were always known, but it was the 1920s when it became widely available as a coolant. The US was using it for Aircraft engines, and it was the specified coolant for the Allison V1710 engine when design started in 1929. The British started using Ethylene Glycol in the 1930s (around 1935) with the Rolls Royce Merlin airplane engine, but had to get the material from the United States. The coolant was straight Ethylene Glycol, not the 50/50 mix with water that was used later.

After WWII, people would buy surplus engines solely to recover the coolant, which was still very expensive in the 1940s. Up until then cars used straight water or used Methanol as an antifreeze agent. The problem with methanol was it evaporated and had to be constantly replenished- EGW could run in a pressurized system.

• Like 1

Too bad that story isn't true.

Ethylene Glycol was "discovered" in 1859 by Charles-Adolphe Wurtz (who was French). Its first commercial use was by Germany, but it was in WWI, not WWII, and it was as a substitute for Glycerin in dynamite. By the 1920s almost all dynamite producers had shifted to Ethylene Glycol.

Ethylene Glycol's antifreeze properties were always known, but it was the 1920s when it became widely available as a coolant. The US was using it for Aircraft engines, and it was the specified coolant for the Allison V1710 engine when design started in 1929. The British started using Ethylene Glycol in the 1930s (around 1935) with the Rolls Royce Merlin airplane engine, but had to get the material from the United States. The coolant was straight Ethylene Glycol, not the 50/50 mix with water that was used later.

After WWII, people would buy surplus engines solely to recover the coolant, which was still very expensive in the 1940s. Up until then cars used straight water or used Methanol as an antifreeze agent. The problem with methanol was it evaporated and had to be constantly replenished- EGW could run in a pressurized system.

Oops~ you're right~ I got my W's confused...:blink:

Yep~ we owe a lot more to the germans than what they've gotten credit for...

And we owe the Nazis a little more sumthin too. Thank God it was only the top echelon that was f***d up in da head!

Nuff said on that. Movin on....

Keep in mind the Nazi party was not directly responsible for most of the technological breakthroughs that occurred in germany prior to WW2. They were responsible for bringing about the regime that funded most of the propulsion and chemical R&D in technology after they took over...but who is to say where technology would be today if there had not been six years of global war? Thankfully hitler was too stupid to put funding into the atomic project and spent his budget on dozens of projects that never made completion before the wars end.

With that being said, we can thank germany for all their work in synthetic oils and their use of materials and ideas that may have been invented years prior but had never been used to their full potential...now if only those materials had been used for something other than global genocide :thumbup: