What NOT to do during a drought.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=1001854&CategoryID=20207&on=1

Having personally done this before (with water hose and fire extinguisher on hand), I can tell you that the only way it will actually ignite is if you start a small fire a few feet away.

Even tried armor peircing incendiary rounds and tracers.. lots of boom and stink, but no fire unless the ignition source is 5-20 feet away.

....I DIDN'T do it during the worst drought in memory when there were burn bans in every county for 200 miles.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

am I the only one that lol'ed at "Newman said the cooler and beer will now be examined, and will be held as evidence."

I believe that was actually the line where I spit a little, and said "Oh, Ratsun HAS to see this"

i was doing this in northern Arizona recently, worked out GREAT. huh.gif

Just curious, what were you shooting with? A friend and I tried it shortly before Mythbusters. As said, we started with standard ball ammo from a .223. Progressed through his ammo stash using everything from depleted Uranium, to tracers, to armor peircing incendiary. No bullet would light it. Even setting a fire next to the can prior to shooting didn't work initially. The rush of propane displaced the oxygen putting out the fire. Finally worked when we moved the ignition flame a few feet away from the propane canister. We used small Coleman canisters meant to be used with a propane lantern. Teenagers playing with fire and guns. Fun stuff, but I wouldn't recomend it. I guessed that the guys who started this forest fire ran into the same issues and didn't take the precautions we did.

Young and dumb... etc.

Edit:

HAHA! just watched the news..... get it now... Aparently Ya'll gots you some fire troubles too.

Never thought I'd say it, but DAMNIT we need a hurricane.

When I was a CSAR in the Navy I had disabled a few armored vehicles with depleted uranium, most of the secondary explosions were from shells going off. That stuff is nasty, I would have to wear a rad badge and have a physical with blood work every month.