No seat belts

So my car is almost ready to drive in some respect, but need seat belts!

The previous owner put in belts, but just as a mock up so it looked legal. I took a closer look and the part of the belt the is at the top, or pivot point, is not held in by a bolt, but rather a rubber washer, large enough to hold it in place. I can take some pics later today, but my question is what you all suggest to use as a seat belt solution?

I've looked at some websites with seat belt replacements, but I would imagine you would have to bolt the pivot point in, but there is no threading behind it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your talking about the "B" pilar for the shoulder belt right? I've never owned a 510 that had a shoulder belt...well, the 71 I got has them but I've not driven the car.

Is it possible that yours did not come with shoulder belts and the hole is just a hole??

where is DatsunMike?

Yes, the B pillar. I'm not so sure it's likely this car didn't come with belts mounted to the pillar because there appears to be a hole already.

If I can get away with lap belts, I would do that.

Or perhaps a racing harness? But I have stock seats for now.

My 71 has the hole in the B-Pillar tapped for a bolt, and I have some sort of belts in the car...

I also have a hole above the cargo window halfway across that is identical. I have heard about rear shoulder belts...

Yes, the B pillar. I'm not so sure it's likely this car didn't come with belts mounted to the pillar because there appears to be a hole already.

If I can get away with lap belts, I would do that.

Or perhaps a racing harness? But I have stock seats for now.

I dont think you'll run into problems. I never did. but if your not going to use the shoulder belts, take them out of the car. I think if the car is equiped with them then you have to use them.

So my car is almost ready to drive in some respect, but need seat belts!

The previous owner put in belts, but just as a mock up so it looked legal. I took a closer look and the part of the belt the is at the top, or pivot point, is not held in by a bolt, but rather a rubber washer, large enough to hold it in place. I can take some pics later today, but my question is what you all suggest to use as a seat belt solution?

I've looked at some websites with seat belt replacements, but I would imagine you would have to bolt the pivot point in, but there is no threading behind it.

My car did'nt have seat belts when I bought it in 07. If there is a threaded hole in your b-pillar it came with shoulder belts,my 71 did. I went to a local pick-n-pull found a mid-80s nissan wagon and relieved it of its safety belts. Just check the bolt hole size with your datsun easy as pie.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'll need to take a closer look tonight to make sure there is or isn't a nut on the b-pillar. If there isn't, I plan on buying from seatbeltplanet.com who has universal sets. After some searching, I found that a member on 510realm had some success.

My old 69 came with the shoulder portion of the belts and so did the second 69 I had. I still have one side if you are interested. I can bring it to the meeting.

But, I also ran the car with no shoulder belt and only a lap belt and never had a problem when I was pulled over for fix it tickets. All I ever got was loud exhaust tickets!

Federal law required that passenger car imports from the 1968 model year be equipped with front seat shoulder belts in addition to lap belts. Don't know at what year this became required for pickup trucks. Most Nissan/Datsun also come with installed stanchions for rear seat lap belts, if not also rear shoulder belts. I was able to install rear seat belts in my 1967 RL411 using the factory mounts and a set of RV seat belts to get the necessary length for 2 attachments to the center mount. I suspect that somewhere beneath all that lovely plastic covering the B pillar there is a hidden tapped fitting welded to the pillar. Happy hunting!

Took a closer look, definitely no tapped threading or nut for me to bolt onto. I'll just order a kit from seatbeltplanet.com and go from there. Thanks for the help guys.

I'll post what I've done if it all works out for future reference. Great thing is that this website accepts returns if it doesn't fit/work.

The original owner of my 510 had zcar shoulder and lap belts installed iirc mounted at the b pillar. I will get some pics this weekend. Here in Georgia, I think old, old cars are not required to have seat belts. Or that may be pickups only. Nevertheless, I would not want to find out