eBay aluminum radiator

gwb

My current radiator is shot and I need to find a replacement. Anyone had any experience with the eBay aluminum ones? The one I am thinking about getting is here. I am using the l16 and would like little no fabrication

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had one of these in my wagon for about a year now. The price is right and It works great, keeps my 2.0L running cool.

There are no mounts so I built my own rubber isolated lower mounts and upper support.

Does anyone have pictures of the radiator installed? I was just curious to see how it fits comapred to the stock unit.

Is the core wider or thicker?

Does it clear the core support height ok?

Any mounting brackets, holes or threaded boss provided for attachment?

Thanks in advance

I have the very same one in my dime and it works great. but if your looking for a "bolt in" unit this is not for you. You will have to fab some shock mounts and hold down straps. Not a big deal if your handy but it is some work. And if you do get one get to 2 row for sure, the 3 row is way too close to the fan. I can up load some pics tomarrow if you want to see how I did it.

I have the very same one in my dime and it works great. but if your looking for a "bolt in" unit this is not for you. You will have to fab some shock mounts and hold down straps. Not a big deal if your handy but it is some work. And if you do get one get to 2 row for sure, the 3 row is way too close to the fan. I can up load some pics tomarrow if you want to see how I did it.

Thanks for the input, I would appreciate some pics too! I am sure I can come up with some mounts

• 10 months later...

I recently purchased one of these eBay radiators and i have to admit that I am a bit dissapointed with the fit. The radiator core depth placess it up against the fan clutch. I'm not sure i want to run an electric fan or move the engine rearward to make it fit.

Does anyone have any ideas on a water pump/clutch that might be thinner?

a8910be6.jpg

c62a631e.jpg

6650bc2e.jpg

Did you get the 2 or 3 row? I used the 2 and it just fit past the fan. I don't have a clutch on mine, so I might recommend removing that before you try to move the motor back. I ended up putting a electric fan on the front and doing away with the stock fan all together, Really pretty easy.

I purchased the 2 row unit instead of 3 because I was worried about clearence. I figured that the swap was pretty common and other members would have mentioned difficulties with installation. Oddly enough, I serched the forum and didnt find any issues noted with clearence. I suspect most people run a stock plastc tank Fiero radiator and the core may be thinner so they might not encounter this problem.

I havent decided yet what course of action to take. I dont think it would be too complicated to wire a fuse, relay, thermo switch and fan but would like to avoid it if at all possible. Ideally - I prefer the simplicity of running a stock fan clutch due to reliability and low complexity (keep it simple - less stuff to go wrong).

CorAce -

What fan did you use?

Did you have to cut any metal to get it to fit behind the grille?

How is the cooling performance at low speed and stop lights?

Did you use a thermo fan switch?

Where is the thermo switch located?

I purchased the 2 row unit instead of 3 because I was worried about clearence. I figured that the swap was pretty common and other members would have mentioned difficulties with installation. Oddly enough, I serched the forum and didnt find any issues noted with clearence. I suspect most people run a stock plastc tank Fiero radiator and the core may be thinner so they might not encounter this problem.

I havent decided yet what course of action to take. I dont think it would be too complicated to wire a fuse, relay, thermo switch and fan but would like to avoid it if at all possible. Ideally - I prefer the simplicity of running a stock fan clutch due to reliability and low complexity (keep it simple - less stuff to go wrong).

CorAce -

What fan did you use?

Did you have to cut any metal to get it to fit behind the grille?

How is the cooling performance at low speed and stop lights?

Did you use a thermo fan switch?

Where is the thermo switch located?

I just picked up a 10" slimline fan kit from Knecks, it came with fan, fan zip mounts, relay, wiring and stab in switch 185 (on) - 175 (off). make sure you get a pusher fan as it will need to go in front of rad. No cutting needed (unless that's what your into). just offset the fan to one side to clear the center strut. I put the switch on the inlet side without giving it much thought, and it seems to work fine, but you may want to research that further. All in all it works great, on a 75 degree day the fan wont kick on at all until I have been sitting at idle for over 5 min. and then it drops temp fast.

Install was not to hard. I used some rubber fuel line split down one side to line the bottom of the rad and buffer the top brackets. A couple 1/4 X 20 bolts with over sized washers hold the bottom to the core support (some drilling) and the hand fabed top brackets to hold it down. I have had no problems with it in two years. Cool tip, if you take the stock lower hose and turn it around (end to end) you will see where to trim it for a perfect fit. and it leaves lots of room for alt upgrades.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg