1974 610 wagon needs to be lowered

74datto

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the 610 front suspension it REALLY similar to the 510 front suspension. You might be able to use 510 lowering springs. But the really easy way would be to just cut a coil out of the springs.

• 1 month later...
Guest jaimesix
i need to lower my new toy

i know how to do the back

but....

what am i going to need to do the front

at a ratsun price?

feel free to call me if you have any imput

bryan

503-412-8771

Hi.

New to the the site. Awesome looking station wagon, any more pictures??

I have a Datsun 610 myself , getting the finishing touches ( paint job & suspension ).

The front suspension on the 610 station wagon and 4 and 2 door 610s are the same. The rear suspension in the 4 and 2 door 610s are the same. The rear suspension on the station wagon is leaf sprung.

That said, the front suspension on the 610, 710 and 510 is the same ( the only difference with the 510 is in the sway bar brackets.)

The rear suspension of the 510 and 610 2 and 4 door vehicles is IRS ( independent suspension ). The rear suspension on the Datsun 710 2, 4 and station wagons is leaf sprung as in the 510 and 610 station wagons. Only the non US Datsun 710 ( aka 160JSSS ) has IRS suspension as in the case of the 610 and 510 2 and 4 door vehicles. ( some non US Datsun 510s are leaf sprung as in the case of the Datsun 710 US ).

The rear of the 710 , 510 and 610 station wagons is the same ( leaf sprung.)

Any "Front" suspension from any of the vehicles mentioned ( 610 2/4/StWg , 510 2/4/StWg and 710 2/4/StWg ) can benefit from installation of Datsun "Z" ( 280Z and 300ZX to be more specific ) front struts. The "Z" struts are a bolt on improvement. The benefit comes from the use of ventilated front disc brakes available to the Datsun "Z", as well as stouter brake calipers.

I am having my 610's suspension worked. I am using ground control coil overs ( front ).

I will be using camber plates too.( front ).

I am using Datsun 280Z struts {front}( to benefit with the better braking power ). The "Ground Control" coil overs ( or any other "brand" coil over Datsun paraphenalia ) made for the "front" of the Datsun Z works on Datsun 510, 610 and 710 "front" suspension as well ( the coil over set up I have could be used on a 510/610/710 strut { front }. These struts have the same over all diametre.

My Datsun 610's rear suspension will benefit from the use of autralian "King" springs ( performance lowered springs made for the australian version Datsun 610 known as Datsun 180B ).Koni shocks for the rear will complement the set up.

Sway bars all around for cornering enhancement. ( a must! )I will bring in pictures of the progress and final product.

The proper way to lower the front suspension is by means of coil overs. The economical way is to cut the front spring. As a temporary set up ( while getting the coil over parts ) it is ok. It allows you to see the car at the height you want to have it, it works decently if not done it in excess, and with good struts, will work ok. ( My 710 is walking on cut springs now, it is just ok.)

I would advise for sway bars when lowering, otherwise you risk unnecesary tire rubbing. The sway bars will not allow that to happen upon cornering, keeping sway to a minimum.

The rear of the station wagon can be lowered in 3 ways I know.

1) Lowering blocks . A block that is located between the axle and the spring, perching the spring at a longer distance from the axle than w/o a block. This sends the body closer to the ground, while the axle remains as always, at the same distance from the ground. Will need longer U bolts to accommodate the block between axle and spring .This set up will lower the car by the size of the block ( one in block, two in block, etc.)

2) Decambering ( best option). taking the springs off the vehicle and taking them to a spring shop where the leaves are decambered ( curvature decreased, making them flatter.) This option allows you to keep the factory U bolts ( nothing between the axle and spring ). The spring set up will lower tha car about 2 inches. It is the safest and most efficient system, no parts that could move or fall ( blocks )

3) Repositioning the 3rd leaf of the spring. By disassembling the leaf spring component and turning the 3rd leave upside down, you will actually decamber the leaf. I prefer decambering the spring as mentioned before.

Well, I am making this reply excessively long, hope to see some pixes of that cool 610 wagon.;)

Jaime.______________________________________________________

How much of a drop are you trying to achieve? You could go with coilovers, if you choose, but I would highly recommend an upgrade to the front brakes at the same time. There are lots of different options (use the Ratsun search option). I'm going with the 280ZX turbo brakes - ease of installation and procuring parts was the two big reasons for this decision.

Dont you have to remove the spring perches on the Z struts to make them work in the 510/610/710 cars? I have the complete front brake and strut set up off of a 79 280Zx(four lug hub). Will using the Z front sway bar help? Will it work in the same front ends?

Dont you have to remove the spring perches on the Z struts to make them work in the 510/610/710 cars? I have the complete front brake and strut set up off of a 79 280Zx(four lug hub).

You don't really have to remove the spring perches. If you aren't ever planning to re-install the 610 struts, what I do is cut the 610 spring perch off, set it inside the 280ZX spring perch, then weld it in a few spots. Then use the 610 spring, and upper pieces. Just the 280ZX strut alone will drop the car a bit, and allow for more lowering since the strut itself is shorter. B ut I would take a bit off the spring before re-install.

My "Ratsun lowering" rule of thumb is to cut the spring down to where you can just put it on without a spring compressor. This gives just the right drop. ;)

You don't really have to remove the spring perches. If you aren't ever planning to re-install the 610 struts, what I do is cut the 610 spring perch off, set it inside the 280ZX spring perch, then weld it in a few spots. Then use the 610 spring, and upper pieces. Just the 280ZX strut alone will drop the car a bit, and allow for more lowering since the strut itself is shorter. B ut I would take a bit off the spring before re-install.

My "Ratsun lowering" rule of thumb is to cut the spring down to where you can just put it on without a spring compressor. This gives just the right drop. ;)

Thats a great rule of thumb for cut springs - I made the mistake in high school of too many coils cut, and everytime I would put the car on a jack, I would have to reposition the coil spring in the perch. To hell with that! I've got coilovers now:fu:

• 8 months later...