Identity Crisis.

so, after over a year of frustration from stupid failures like this.

P1020711.jpg

and this.

P1010531.jpg

and this.

IMG021.jpg

and so on.

needless to say, i've had my fit. if the car's not interested in cooperating. i'll build something else. and if i'm going to build something else it dam well better be RWD. and old enough so i don't have to worry about emissions. so i ended up with this.

1971_Datsun_510_2_door_Restored_Front_1.jpg

okay, so maybe not one that one specifically. but one that looks just like it!

it's a 1969 Datsun 510. need's some lovin.

DSCN1962.jpg

DSCN1961.jpg

DSCN1960.jpg

DSCN1959.jpg

DSCN1958.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

DSCN1956.jpg

DSCN1955.jpg

DSCN1836.jpg

DSCN1835.jpg

Squint. Hard.

anyway, the plan is to put my 2.4L engine in the car mated to a T56 transmission. which should make it a peppy car with ~220WHP and up to 400WHP with a big 'ol hit of nitrous. (i may switch to a Turbo instead of the nitrous. but we'll see...)

it should be a fun car with any luck. expect rapid updates when i pick the car up in late June. smile.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so, that was a copy and paste from another forum. so i should probably introduce myself.

i go by SuperD on most forums. built this car while i was in High School.

from this.

102_0089.jpg

to this.

IMG_1634.jpg

with an exhaust note like this.

it's a fun car. but it breaks parts. ALOT. and it's not nearly as nice as what i can do now after spending a few years getting better at this whole car thing.

so hopefully i can build a decent 510 and you guy's won't burn me at the stake for using a Chrysler Motor. mellow.gif

happy to be here, and look forward to getting heavily involved with the community. even if i don't understand your crazy japanese motors.

so hopefully i can build a decent 510 and you guy's won't burn me at the stake for using a Chrysler Motor.

I woulnt light the match on the swap, that could turn out ok.

but cmon now.... a neon? sorry bro but there up on the same list as the PT cruiser.

welcome to Ratsun :lol: datsun/nissan motors are pretty strait forward.

the L series motors (stock for your dime) are about as easy as they come.

anyone with any shred of basic mechanical know how should be able to keep one running.

but cmon now.... a neon? sorry bro but there up on the same list as the PT cruiser.

anyone with any shred of basic mechanical know how should be able to keep one running.

Not really, id rather be caught in a neon than a PT cruiser (dvboth :rofl:)

yeah i know. but they 'can' be setup to handle pretty well. and a stock SRT-4 motor can take upwards of 700WHP on the stock longblock. so it's not all doom and gloom in neon land.

OH! forgot to post a picture of my other project.

P1010926.jpg

tube chassis MGB. should be getting a 1,000HP... wait for it.

Neon Motor.

should also be a fun car. drag only though.

yeah i know. but they 'can' be setup to handle pretty well. and a stock SRT-4 motor can take upwards of 700WHP on the stock longblock. so it's not all doom and gloom in neon land.

ya know.... Iv driven the SRT4 neon. and it was meh.

couldnt say I was impressed.

that MG with 1000hp is so ridiculous and probably dangerous that I have to love it :lol:

I am interested in how the swap into the 510 will go.

220hp will make a car that light move :D

ya know.... Iv driven the SRT4 neon. and it was meh.

couldnt say I was impressed.

yeah, SRT4's are kinda tanks (2,800 pounds or so). so they don't handle too terribly well. the 1st gen's (like mine) are the ones to have since they only weigh ~2,200-2,300 pounds.

that MG with 1000hp is so ridiculous and probably dangerous that I have to love it :lol:

thanks! delaying that project to build this Datsun.

I am interested in how the swap into the 510 will go.

220hp will make a car that light move :D

yeah. hopefully it turns out to be a nice car. I'm still undecided on whether i should scrap the Nitrous stuff and just use a hairdryer for 500WHP daily...

EDIT: btw, what's the shortest Final drive ratio you can get for the R160/R180? somewhere upwards of 4.6:1 would be nice.

EDIT: btw, what's the shortest Final drive ratio you can get for the R160/R180? somewhere upwards of 4.6:1 would be nice.

you can get a subi R160 LSD in 4.44 but IIRC its a JP market diff so it may not be easy to come by.

iv also heard you can get a 4.50 R180 from a nissan 4x4. idk what year tho.

I had an SRT-4 with 330hp and 415lbs of tq, that was a monster of a motor, I would have loved to put that in a RWD car. Torque steer stucked. It was fun though, I could literally downshift on the freeway at 60mph and slam the gas and spin the tires. I got a best of 12.5@111mph, which if it was RWD i know i would have dipped in the 11's.

• 5 weeks later...

wait, your making it fwd..... what happend to ???

I think he is keeping it RWD, a Borg Warner T-56 is a 6spd RWD transmission if I recall correctly, found on older vipers and vettes...the motor is from a FWD, the transmission isn't. Kind of like how the 80's Nissan's had engines that were almost identical except they were either mounted to a FWD trans or a RWD trans(think SR20).

The Chrysler 4 cylinders are not terrible engines, they just suck to work on and have some inherent flaws. Most of the breakdowns on them we see at my shop are caused by lack of proper care and maintenance. Built properly, it will be no worse than some of the Japanese motors out there (my Naps Z24 being one of them, which are known for head gasket issues, but if you re-torque the head every 30k miles and keep clean and new coolant in it you will never have a problem). The neons suck because of the timing belt motor in a FWD chassis, but then again that is what all the Japanese cars went to anyway. I don't see this as a terrible swap considering it will be RWD. If you can get over the Chrysler motor in a Japanese car, it will be fast, fun, and probably cheap considering he already has the built motor.

With that said, torque steer does suck(that's why I went from FWD cars to my 510), and welcome to the forums! Good luck with the swap!

Isn't that the same motor that was in the chrysler conquest and came built and turbo? From te late 80's " the supra knock off" if so that is a beast of a block and can be built to the 9's

your probably thinking of the 4G63 which shares nothing with my motor.

it's capable in it's own right and people have made 700WHP on a stock SRT-4 longblock. right around 1,000WHP is doable with very little block modification (crank straps and ARP bolts and most importantly, a very good tune)

the highest i've seen from 'my' motor is around 1,400-1,500HP in an all out drag motor.