Hurley

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isky also. 160$

Webcamshft is about 175-200

Scneider will do regrinds now but used to sell new.

Colt in Canada

Rebello overpriced!!!!!!

cams are not cheap on the total package.One needs new rockers ,maybe spings ,retainers.

see Sealicks write up on his 720. in the 720 section. acam with a down drafts isnt going to provide neck breaking results.

Isky also. 160$

Colt in Canada

Rebello overpriced!!!!!!

cams are not cheap on the total package.One needs new rockers ,maybe spings ,retainers.

see Sealicks write up on his 720. in the 720 section. acam with a down drafts isnt going to provide neck breaking results.

What about flat top su's. Will that improve the performance enough to make it worth my while?

Hurley,i recently installed the Web cams .488 lift 252 duration in an l20b im running su's.I paid about 250 bucks with shipping and no core was required.I used Schneider valve springs and retainers about 110 bucks.Good cam for a daily driver.Nice at idle and power comes on right away real strong,but i dont think it will rev past about 6000 rpms,after 5500 rpms its pretty much done.Hope that can help you decide what you want.

Hurley,i recently installed the Web cams .488 lift 252 duration in an l20b im running su's.I paid about 250 bucks with shipping and no core was required.I used Schneider valve springs and retainers about 110 bucks.Good cam for a daily driver.Nice at idle and power comes on right away real strong,but i dont think it will rev past about 6000 rpms,after 5500 rpms its pretty much done.Hope that can help you decide what you want.

Thanks for the info. I don't know a whole lot about these engines and what I can do for a little more H.P. So this is good.

Thanks for the info. I don't know a whole lot about these engines and what I can do for a little more H.P. So this is good.

If your looking for a little more power start with carburetors,you will notice a difference between a stock carb and su's or a weber,then try a cam.I wouldnt bother with a cam until i had better a carburetor setup.

Isky also. 160$

Colt in Canada

Rebello overpriced!!!!!!

All I can say is you get what you pay for. I hate comments like "overpriced". If it's performance you're after, then where's the limit?

Dave's been designing cams with help from some great sources for years and is still doing it. If you want a 25 year old cam profile then buy a Isky or Schneider cam.

Tell me they have even though about changing up the lobe centers or ramping up the valve opening opening for a more stable valvetrain? No, they have what they have and that's it.

Do you even know what Rebello gets for a cam these days?

All I can say is you get what you pay for. I hate comments like "overpriced". If it's performance you're after, then where's the limit?

Dave's been designing cams with help from some great sources for years and is still doing it. If you want a 25 year old cam profile then buy a Isky or Schneider cam.

Tell me they have even though about changing up the lobe centers or ramping up the valve opening opening for a more stable valvetrain? No, they have what they have and that's it.

i think when i was there, he said it would be around $1000 for installing and cam

They list one as a price. They will grind any profile you need.

OK. And I guess my point is that the profiles they have are probably outdated and don't have access to the more modern profiles that Rebello still designs, unless they "borrow" them.

Rebello has proprietary rights to his cam grinds...well at least some of them. And he works closely with specific cam grinders who wont sell him out. Back when I worked for Rebello, he guarded his profiles very carefully. But we have gotten off on a tangent. Any one of the cam grinders mentioned in this thread ought to be able to supply a good cam for Hurley.

If it were me, I'd start with a U20 A or B cam and a tuned Weber DGV or a pair of SU's, then follow that with an exhaust before I did much with a custom cam and all that entails.

Let us know cause its so secret over there even Datsun guys know. If you have this Magic cam I will give to it a cam grinder and clone em.

This is just my opinion. I cant see Rebello designing and spending alot of R&D on NEW L motors cam grinds where theres is not to much of a market left. Datsun guys are cheap and the KA motor has taking over. I figure they would go there

Yes the Isky cams are old designs but its better than stock at a reasonable price.

Hurley :

If I remeber right your 521 was a automatic so that should play into consideration esp at idle.If YOU have a L16 with a 210 head I say dont waste your time,

If a manual you could up the sprocket one # and maybe find a 38/38 for the simplest in power increases(bolt ON. But best to matchport the head to a bigger size and increase intake port size.

There are various companies out there that make cams already or will custom grind them for a L motor. My advice would be to consider why you want the camshaft though...if the vehicle is stock with an automatic, you may not notice much from a camshaft...there will be some improvement, but you may get more bang from the buck when looking at other performance parts.

Keep in mind, the only limiting factory to engine performance is your wallet size...any parts that are not available can be custom made, but if you can't make the parts yourself, you will have to pay someone large amounts of $ to do it for you. There are many bolt on performance upgrades out there for L series motors, but don't kid yourself into thinking that for a few bucks you can double your engines power, especially on small displacement motors.

When I buy a car, I start with exhaust, move on to the intake system, then ignition(it doesn't have to be electronic, just make sure the motor is properly tuned up with a set of good name brand or factory spark plugs and wires, and that all the components are working well), take care of any maintenance or mechanical problems, then if it still isn't enough, I start looking at engine internals, or serious power adders(forced induction).

Let us know cause its so secret over there even Datsun guys know. If you have this Magic cam I will give to it a cam grinder and clone em.

This is just my opinion. I cant see Rebello designing and spending alot of R&D on NEW L motors cam grinds where theres is not to much of a market left. Datsun guys are cheap and the KA motor has taking over. I figure they would go there

Yes the Isky cams are old designs but its better than stock at a reasonable price.

Hurley :

If I remeber right your 521 was a automatic so that should play into consideration esp at idle.If YOU have a L16 with a 210 head I say dont waste your time,

If a manual you could up the sprocket one # and maybe find a 38/38 for the simplest in power increases(bolt ON. But best to matchport the head to a bigger size and increase intake port size.

Yea, I have since gone to a manual trans. I am running dual flat tops on a L18 with a87 head. I do need to port the head to match the intake still.

There are various companies out there that make cams already or will custom grind them for a L motor. My advice would be to consider why you want the camshaft though...if the vehicle is stock with an automatic, you may not notice much from a camshaft...there will be some improvement, but you may get more bang from the buck when looking at other performance parts.

Keep in mind, the only limiting factory to engine performance is your wallet size...any parts that are not available can be custom made, but if you can't make the parts yourself, you will have to pay someone large amounts of $ to do it for you. There are many bolt on performance upgrades out there for L series motors, but don't kid yourself into thinking that for a few bucks you can double your engines power, especially on small displacement motors.

When I buy a car, I start with exhaust, move on to the intake system, then ignition(it doesn't have to be electronic, just make sure the motor is properly tuned up with a set of good name brand or factory spark plugs and wires, and that all the components are working well), take care of any maintenance or mechanical problems, then if it still isn't enough, I start looking at engine internals, or serious power adders(forced induction).

Money is definatly a factor for me, so I am looking for every little bit of hp I can get for little $.

Just find a good stock L20B cam and stab it in. Pretty much the same specs as a SSS cam and work great with SU carbs. Don't forget to use the lash pads for that cam when you do find the one you need. Any decent machine shop can resurface your rocker arms and stock springs can be checked and re used with this cam.

After that, get ready to spend money.