Locking column 620, am I hallucinating or did I read about it somewhere

villegs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might work. My '78 had the rectangle hole in the column. If it had the ignition switch with the matching part that slides out when you turn to lock it should work. Maybe the next '79 year had locking column???

I thought I had read about someone swapping later model Ignition switch, which makes the 620 column locking. I've tried searching, but never find anything remotely in context. Can anyone corroborate this?

What do you think a locking column will do?

Louisville is not GroverFalls, meaning W/O locking column= break window then roll it away. W/locking column=break window, then break column, then roll it away. It's one more step that may allow me to hear possible crackhead car thief so I can properly aim shots before I unload clips on 'em, then break my own house window and drag the corpse inside and call it B&E self defense.

ANYWAY... the correct part to add a column lock is the column lock used in a LOT of Datsuns. The '78-81 510 works, '79-82 210, 280ZX (not the S30 Z though), '79-82 310, etc etc. I know the B210 one does NOT swap, nor the early 510. Dunno about the 610, 710, early 200SX (late one does), etc etc.

However, the above cars sometimes have a somewhat different pinout for the wires. You'd have to research the factory wiring to know which ones might use the same wiring as the 620 (the plug itself is the same) for the switch that's bolted to the back of the lock assembly. Or, rearrange the wires in the plug.

HOWEVER... I don't know if the steering shaft inside the column has the proper indent. The column outer tube itself does, even my Mom's '73 does.

Finding a 620 with a stock one is pretty difficult. I've seen one, but it was that uber-deluxe '79 KC that had all the options (cloth door panels, A/C, delay wipers, etc).

• 9 months later...

I'm assuming that the 280z column lock would work, the ignition I bough on ebay for my z has the locking mechanism but doesn't work for some reason, maybe ill try on the truck with that ignition

I beleive that the 280z locking assembly will mount to the 620 column, but non of the column plastic will fit over the locking assembly anymore.

The 280z one will work, but I have a faulty unit and the lock doesn't protrude enough to lock it, but it would work with a new unit. I installed the z one this morning on my truc anyways to have a better and more solid mount

ANYWAY... the correct part to add a column lock is the column lock used in a LOT of Datsuns. The '78-81 510 works, '79-82 210, 280ZX (not the S30 Z though), '79-82 310, etc etc. I know the B210 one does NOT swap, nor the early 510. Dunno about the 610, 710, early 200SX (late one does), etc etc.

HOWEVER... I don't know if the steering shaft inside the column has the proper indent. The column outer tube itself does, even my Mom's '73 does.

The s30 280z one works. And the steering shaft does have the correct indent. I did it this morning, (it didn't work but that's because my mechanism is broken

Oh and the plastic does fit very close, only off about a quarter of an inch, so if you care about a little gap than don't do it but if you don't then go for it

Pics of it installed?? Curious about the gap in the plastic trim??

I don't have it installed currently because I'm about to remove the turn signal mechanism and run switched but ill throw it on real quick tomorrow and throw a pic up when I get home tomorrow afternoon. Original key hole is off about an eighth inch towards the drivers side of the car, the key is still fully functional and not interrupted by the plastic, plus you don't get that annoying thing where the stock ignition spins due to the threaded plastic ring spinning loose