The art of shifting gears

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13/18 spds nowadays have an air powered splitter on the side of the shifter. 18 spd you can shift all half gears, 250rpm split, or you can not use the splitter and shift whole gears bout 500rpm split. A 13 has 5 whole gears on the bottom and then you can split the top 4 into 8. This came about in the 60s early 70s.

The 2 stick method was the norm before the splitter was invented. One of those sticks is the splitter. Gear patterns could be quite confusing!

Craziness...Granny shifting - not double clutching like he should.

No way would you double clutch all day long!! That wears out the clutch and there is no need for use of the clutch except for starting and stopping. 95% of truckers do not double clutch.

That does not mean we don't know how to do it. There is a use for it every now and then

jayden, yes!!! that is what my dad started driving when he was 18. he had the sticks closer together, that way you could use 1 hand and do 2 moves. he now has 10 million miles in a rig, and me a measily million. altho i was silver spoon, 2007 volvo with a 13, but kept it old scool with a c-train

• Like 1

So is this basicly 2 transmissions in a series? Like a doubled transfer case in a toyota?

1st-4th for 5 gears?

Yes, a main transmission and an auxilury, usually called a brownie.

jayden, yes!!! that is what my dad started driving when he was 18. he had the sticks closer together, that way you could use 1 hand and do 2 moves. he now has 10 million miles in a rig, and me a measily million. altho i was silver spoon, 2007 volvo with a 13, but kept it old scool with a c-train

Nice!! My friends dad had like 8 million, and drove everything you can imagine. I gotta measly 1.5 mil and 13 years. Still learnin. I drive a 2010 Freightshaker and drag a 53' 4 axle flat bed behind it. 106,000 pounds on Lewiston and Whitebird grades is a long slow trip!

DSC01132.jpg

Jayden, My grandpa used to haul logs over Rattlesnake Grade between Elgin and Clarkston in an old International with a twin stick. He said 2 loads a day would wear you out.

Now thats truckin there!! That grad is a killer. I have taken 45' chip trailers down that grade.