Idler arm woes. Removing from the steering?

Oics below..

I'm trying to remove my worn to death idler arm from my 210. I've got the bracket off from under the hood, got the castle nut off the shaft, and the thing won't budge off the steering!!

Any tips? I already tried bolting it back onto the frame/unibody and knocked on the stud a little, trying to drive the arm off the shaft, but the thing literally won't budge!! It's gonna be raining soon and needs to be done ASAP!

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fuckin wail on it with a BFG on the side and rattle it loose

sprayin some PB blasting in there wouldnt hurt either

I soaked it in PB blaster before removing the nut. or damage where it bolts, but I guess I don't have a choice to try.

I don't wanna mushroom the end of the stud foar the idler arm, mellow.gif That would kill my night.

Edited by metalmonkey47

It's a taper fit and made that way so they are NOT easy to remove. Makes them safer if the nut comes loose. Have someone with a pry bay bear downward on the steering cross bar... then hit it hard where directed. The shock will make the hole vibrate between a circle and an oval in shape, (on a microscopic level) and a downward force will help it jump out.

2eDeYe' date='21 April 2011 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1303427861' post='463644']

Bolt it back to the frame. Put the nut back on a little to protect the threads (in case you miss). Then get your BFH and smash it real fucking hard right here.

IMAG01971.jpg

Then take it off. :)

exactly :D

I recently removed some of these

GO RENT A BALL JOINT FORK, bolt it back up stick the fork in there and whack it off! you can also get a ball joint fork that has a small shaft to put in an air hammer, that really helps!!!! One of mine I had to heat with a torch. The best i can tell you is to keep wailing on it until it breaks loose, which like i said took me 2 days! :blink:

• Like 1

I recently removed some of these

GO RENT A BALL JOINT FORK, bolt it back up stick the fork in there and whack it off! you can also get a ball joint fork that has a small shaft to put in an air hammer, that really helps!!!! One of mine I had to heat with a torch. The best i can tell you is to keep wailing on it until it breaks loose, which like i said took me 2 days! :blink:

thats a good idea, but what about the rubber bushing in there? I imagine I don't wanna ruin that.

I've been hammering on it for hours now, and it's been no good.

But how do I do it without killing that seal/bushing between the link?

Makes no sense. Unless that bushing isn't necessary?

Ah yes it is necessary. I got lucky I guess when I banged mine out, because i didnt damage my bushing. Try ur luck and see what happens.

Air ratchet/impact gun, makes it a lot easier. Electric impact if you don't have air. Also, clean the tapered stud with some 220 sandpaper, just clean it up so it grabs better, and do the same to the inside of the drag link. Then put together and hold with visegrips, that should do it. Just don't take off a bunch of material when you sandpaper it.

I have never had the shaft spin in the hole, but I suppose it could if you hurt the threads trying to get it out. I just use the tierod fork, I have better things to do than wailing on a piece of metal for undetermined amounts of time. If it messes up the little piece of rubber a little, so what, water that gets in there can escape now. :lol:

I guess this conversation is over, but what exactly did you replace?

(I recently posted an idler arm question, maybe you saw it)

I replaced the whole Idler arm assembly.

Removing it from the body wasn't a problem, but getting it off the steering shaft was a bitch. My ball joint separator would have been perfect, but it wasn't wide enough to clear that bushing and not tear it up.

So, I took out the welder and took some measurements, then made a cheap little tool. Knocked it out, put the knew one in and SUCCESS. 3 hours of work is done.

2eDeYe' date='23 April 2011 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1303573240' post='464471']

Where's the oics?

Thats a good question unsure.gif The tool is somewhere in a pile now. I threw it out of anger.

Would make a nice write up though cool.gif Guess I'll have to try and replicate it