Curious on running a high compression L20

chester

So I couldn't find the info I would like so here it goes. So I am planning on running a L20 block bored to 86mm with 280zx flat top pistons and a W58 peanut head. I roughly figured that it will be About 10.7:1 or so. I main concern is, is it to much to keep it a daily and also to run on premium gas. I plan on taking it everything to the machine shop this week and plan to have it in the truck before the trip to Canby. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

dan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you run closed chamber just run stock pistons with out getting the head decked . If you really wanna make it fun add 44 mm intake valves unshroud the valves and port the intake ports to 1.5 and smooth out the exhaust ports. And runn a bigger cam . But don't go over 480 lift if it is a daily. and remember if you go over 460 lift you will nead new lash pads and get every thing that rotates balncad from the clutch to the crank pully .

My recently completed L20 has L18 .040 over pistons an A87 closed chamber ported head .488 lift cam and its not pinging on 91 octane fuel,the timing is at 12' btdc.I dont know what compression ratio it is.Good luck trying to find L18 pistons.

So I couldn't find the info I would like so here it goes. So I am planning on running a L20 block bored to 86mm with 280zx flat top pistons and a W58 peanut head. I roughly figured that it will be About 10.7:1 or so. I main concern is, is it to much to keep it a daily and also to run on premium gas. I plan on taking it everything to the machine shop this week and plan to have it in the truck before the trip to Canby. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

dan

i have this set up and it runs vary well with a massive amount of toque, but i run it on premium 98 fuel and would not use any less. do you fellas have easy access to 98 fuel in the usa?

^^^lol runs good on 98 eh?

the closest thing would be aviation fuel around here... 100 octane.. its spendy..

we only get 94 at the most locally...

Premium is 91 octane here....think it's close to $1.50 a liter.....and climbing

Thus the lower compression engines in this locale.......... :)

My recently completed L20 has L18 .040 over pistons an A87 closed chamber ported head .488 lift cam and its not pinging on 91 octane fuel,the timing is at 12' btdc.I dont know what compression ratio it is.Good luck trying to find L18 pistons.

9.158 compression

Thank you all for the help and advice but I think I am going to still go for it worse case Is I will have to end up switching to dish pistons. My boss that owns Idaho Z in Nampa Idaho says that there shouldnt be any problem with this combo and since he is the one helping me build it and tune it I think we can make it happen.

you guys think thats bad i have l20 bored 87 mm flattop pistons and i have to run half 91 best thing out the pumps here and half 110 leaded fuel at 7.05 a gallon lol...

but after i installed colder plugs retarded the timing and ran a bit richer it doesnt ping... im currently in the process of saving up for a 1.7mm copper head gasket which should lower my compression enough to be able to advance my timing and run better on 91

• Like 1

9.158 comp ration with L20 L18 pistons,closed head? Sure thats right.

isnt a L20 about 8.4 and with closed head be close to 9.

L20piston is 11 cc dish -7cc(L18 4cc dish) from piston.

L20head is about 45cc and closed is 41 or 40. so subtrace another 4 or 5cc's

11-12cc of volume removed would be alot more compression youd think. Im thinking over 11

run stock pistons to be safe is my opinion.If you live in the states.YOur not wanting to tear that motor aprt again. Believe me!!!!!!!!!!!

9.158 comp ration with L20 L18 pistons,closed head? Sure thats right.

isnt a L20 about 8.4 and with closed head be close to 9.

Stock L20B with flattops is 8.9 but his is over bored 1mm to 86mm and that adds a little over 11cc to the cylinder volume so the compression goes up a bit.

you guys think thats bad i have l20 bored 87 mm flattop pistons and i have to run half 91 best thing out the pumps here and half 110 leaded fuel at 7.05 a gallon lol...

but after i installed colder plugs retarded the timing and ran a bit richer it doesnt ping... im currently in the process of saving up for a 1.7mm copper head gasket which should lower my compression enough to be able to advance my timing and run better on 91

You think yours is bad? I have a similar setup, but with 87mm domed Venolia pistons on a U67 head. Can't even imagine what type of fuel combo I'll have to come up with.

hmmm. Well after thinking today I am just going to build yhe head and slap it on my L16 thats over bored .75 for now since it has a U67 head. and thank you all for helping me before I made a big mistake

Beware. The large open chamber U67 on an L16 will lower the compression to 7.72. On a 1mm overbore it's 7.88.