HELP!!!

d510addict

My brakes are in need of a refresh but I cant for the life of me get the damn drums off. My puller is rather cheap but even with 2 people wrenching on it with heat hammer and hell they wont budge. I was wondering if there was anyone in the Portland area that has a good puller or has some experience pulling drums that are seized to the hub. I really need my ebrake hooked back up as well so I need these things off!!

I live in Milwaukie and could really use the help.

~Derick

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you have tried to turn the star wheel adjuster back to release the shoes? E brake cable loosened or cable at least slack?

Heat till it's smokin' hot and smack face out near the edge. If you use a puller you may pull the anti rattle spring keeper (looks like a nail) right through the backing plate when the shoes are ripped off. It's the only way if they are rusted on there.

There are no ebrakes, the P/O cut the rear cables out (didn't even try and remove cables just cut em out right at the rear bracket). While brakes werent full adjusted back the drum doesnt even budge from the hub.

Take a 3 pond sledge amd smack that thing hard I had to take a couple steps back and smack the shit out of mine to get it off

I have never used a pull ypur supposed to screw a bolt in the holes to push it off

Snug up the bolt tap the edge then snug up the other bolt over and over

As stated above, on the ones I've had that were really stuck to the hub (rusted on) I had to really wail on it with an 8lb sledge after soaking it overnight with penetrating oil. I've never broken a drum that way, but it's possible. Of course I have spare drums if that happens.

What really sucks is when the shoes are inside the "wear ridge" in the drum AND the adjusters are seized. Like my truck has right now.

• 2 weeks later...

mine took alot of pressure with my puller, but eventually, BAM!!!!!!!!!! like a gun going off and the drum came flying. Nearly crapped my pants :) that is how I broke the back off my slack adjuster even though the wheel did spin freelywhen I rolled it to where it was parked..... I'd suggest removing the retainer for it first. wish I had, or I wouldn't keep bugging you about selling me yours...... oh, crap I remember now...... my dumb ass had the ebrake on..... it was a long time ago, and I wasn't a mechanic yet, and even if I wasn't drinking, i'm gonna say I was..... you can sober up from drunk, stupid is a permanent thing :) I know you don't have the brake on, so since you might not want to break through those brake retainers, i'd leave it clipped in and do what everyone else said, and dont be scared to get a breaker bar and put some real pressure on it with heat and oil. just be carefull not to crap yourself when it gives, lol, then.... (This is the most important part) .......sell me the slack adjuster.

Do you have puller? If so It could be a gift if we can get the drums off with out braking the adjusters. My puller is kind of homemade so isnt the best and we put as much pressure on it as we dare.

Yes I do! that works for me, i'll bring it, some good penetrating oil, and a breaker bar, and we can make it happen! I work nights, so days, or weekends are best for me. I have the puller on me, but could grab the rest tomorrow. :)

I assume this is a 521 as the 510 has threaded Jacking screw holes. You put the bolt in there and turn it in and the drum should slip out.

My 521 or 521 in Gemneral dont have these. I tried a sledg so much it was cracking the drum. I got a bugger torch and heated it up then wacked it off. then it POPed off

then rub anti seize on mate n surface so in case 10years from now you have to do this again

I have breaker bars and I'll try and get some deepcreep on the hubs this week. How about doing this on sunday?

You bet, sunday works for me!!! I still have your number. Anytime you want to do it. PM me your address or call me if you still have it and we can set up a time.