38 mm SU's

So, I got my SU's and I was ready to put them on my stock L16 motor when I noticed that the intake manifold ports are larger than the ones on my stock 210 head. Not a good thing...

What head is recommended for this to get the most out of these SU's?

I do not race my car, it will be a daily driver with some spirited driving on the weekends.

Any suggestions?

thank you.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man,

If I go and port out the stock 210 head, do I need to go to bigger valves and a different cam?

If I get one of these heads (219 or V912) would I have a valve clearance problem with my stock L16 block?

Thanks.

Look for a different head. 210 has the smallest in and ex valves. The cost of machine work will snag you an A87 peanut from somewhere. Start cruising the yards.

Your probably going to have to port a head, the 219 and V912 are expensive and harder to find. I wouldn't mess around with a 210 head much, as it is not a performance head, I would look for an W53(hard to find) or A87 closed chamber(peanut) head, but the U67 is also a good open chamber head, your compression ratio(CR) will just be lower, I am not sure how much that will affect the performance. If your going with the dual SUs then I would scrap the 210 head. Bigger valves, well this is a opened can of worms, it is expensive to have bigger valves put in a head, last time I had a head modified for large valves it cost almost $1000.00 before I got it back, but it was ported, and had 260 or 280 valves installed, I can't remember which anymore as it was over ten years ago, but I had another W53 head done in the last month and I stayed with the stock valve size and put a RV cam in, it is not even close to the same power as the W53 head with large valves. That wore out engine would kick this fresh engines ass. The next time that head goes in the shop, it will come out with large valves. If you can find a 219, or V912 head for a reasonable price, jump on it. otherwise I would go with the A87 or the W53 and install the larger valves. You can just port a A87, or a U67 head, and put it on your engine with the dual SUs, and you will have more power. wayno

I got lots of paper in my office....LOL

So, my understanding is there are two types of A87 heads. Would either work? and what's the max size of valve I can get away with before I start running into clearance issues?

Yes there are two types of A87, open and closed(peanut), for performance closed is prefered, but there are issues with compression ratios that I am not educated, I beleave you will be fine as long as you don't have flat top pistons, stock pistons are dished I beleave in an L16, but I could be wrong. Datzenmike would know, maybe he will chime in. :D

Easy cheap... bolt it together, it will work.

Bit of bother.... Put a new manifold gasket on the 210 head and spray paint the holes. Take gasket off. What has paint on it needs to be ground away for an inch or more and blended into the port wall. Stuff the port first with an oily rag and vacuum thoroughly before removing it. (or take head off) Now do the same with the intake manifold.

More bother.... Get an A87 closed chamber head. Avoid open chamber heads for the L16 as this will drop your compression (7.85) and you will loose any gains. Port match as above. (there will be less to remove) This will give you larger valves and intake ports. The closed chamber head will still lower your compression to 8.3, but that's ok.

Option: Find a W58 closed chamber head. Not common but they exist. It has round exhaust ports but will work fine with your square exhaust manifold.

Much more bother: Replace your L16 pistons with those from a 240z car. The L24 pistons have no dish in the top and are flat across. This will reduce the combustion chamber size and allow the cheaper and more common open chamber heads to be used and still have a manageable 8.79 compression.

Even more bother: Over bore your L16 block to 85mm from 83mm and run easily available L18 pistons and any open chamber head you can find for a 8.49 compression.

About two steps back it 's probably cheaper to replace the L16 with an L20B for about 20 more hp.

Easy cheap... bolt it together, it will work.

Bit of bother.... Put a new manifold gasket on the 210 head and spray paint the holes. Take gasket off. What has paint on it needs to be ground away for an inch or more and blended into the port wall. Stuff the port first with an oily rag and vacuum thoroughly before removing it. (or take head off) Now do the same with the intake manifold.

More bother.... Get an A87 closed chamber head. Avoid open chamber heads for the L16 as this will drop your compression (7.85) and you will loose any gains. Port match as above. (there will be less to remove) This will give you larger valves and intake ports. The closed chamber head will still lower your compression to 8.3, but that's ok.

Option: Find a W58 closed chamber head. Not common but they exist. It has round exhaust ports but will work fine with your square exhaust manifold.

Much more bother: Replace your L16 pistons with those from a 240z car. The L24 pistons have no dish in the top and are flat across. This will reduce the combustion chamber size and allow the cheaper and more common open chamber heads to be used and still have a manageable 8.79 compression.

Even more bother: Over bore your L16 block to 85mm from 83mm and run easily available L18 pistons and any open chamber head you can find for a 8.49 compression.

About two steps back it 's probably cheaper to replace the L16 with an L20B for about 20 more hp.

When you have nightmares, do you dream of people chasing you holding wrong answer signs?

Are the streets lined with midgets giving bad advice?

I have a folder that i save every bit of useful Datsun information/tidbits. Ima tell ya now-98% of every bit is yours.

So, I got my SU's and I was ready to put them on my stock L16 motor when I noticed that the intake manifold ports are larger than the ones on my stock 210 head. Not a good thing...

What head is recommended for this to get the most out of these SU's?

I do not race my car, it will be a daily driver with some spirited driving on the weekends.

Any suggestions?

thank you.

Enrique! Thought the signature looked familiar. lolz