l20 cam in l16

sick620

If I install the l20b cam in an L16 will there be performance changes? more torque? more horsepower? Will it be a pretty straight forward swap? Its a L16 out of a 73 620 it has a A87 head, not sure if its open or closed but its pretty peppy for a little l16. Has a weber dgav, matchbox dizzy, and good l16 exhaust mani. Not trying to find options for large horsepower gains or anything... its in my little old 521 parts hauler and I am not going for anything special just trying to get a little horsepower here and there for cheap/free...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they differant? I actually called the machine shop yesterday about the cam going in my head being worked on, I told him I wanted a L20b cam in the W53 L16 head, as I am putting the head on a Z22 block, and he said, "aren't they all basicly the same", I didn't have an answer, he seemed to think they are the same cam, his example was all the chevy small block engines from the early 283/327 to date use basicly the same cam, I don't know, someone that does know should enlighten me, are all the L series cams basicly the same?

Yes, they are all basically the same, they have like 16 lumps on a long stick.

The USA-model L20B engines all use the same cam. It's the one used by the SSS L16 and L18 engines in Japan. Japan-market L20B used different cams.

It's a very good cam. You can do better with an aftermarket cam though.

any idea what kinda horse power gain I might receive by adding the L20b cam? I understand that an aftermarket cam is where its at and everything but I am not building a motor or anything just looking for the best cheap option to upgrade a little... I already have a l20b cam...

any idea what kinda horse power gain I might receive by adding the L20b cam? I understand that an aftermarket cam is where its at and everything but I am not building a motor or anything just looking for the best cheap option to upgrade a little... I already have a l20b cam...

?

If I install the l20b cam in an L16 will there be performance changes? more torque? more horsepower? Will it be a pretty straight forward swap? Its a L16 out of a 73 620 it has a A87 head, not sure if its open or closed but its pretty peppy for a little l16. Has a weber dgav, matchbox dizzy, and good l16 exhaust mani. Not trying to find options for large horsepower gains or anything... its in my little old 521 parts hauler and I am not going for anything special just trying to get a little horsepower here and there for cheap/free...

Engine strength is in the block and how strong the components are. Engine power is in the head design and how much fuel and air you can pump through it. More fuel and air = more power.

Theoretically if you double the RPM you will double your hp. In the real world you can't flow twice the air through the same size valve without the motor having to work harder to draw it in. What works fine at 3,500 is restrictive at 7,000. Your L16 was designed to run smoothly and economically and have usable power and torque from 2K up to say 5K. The head design, valve size and cam are tailored for this.

To get more, you will need to increase the head's ability to breathe. More in = more out. The single best way is to change the cam timing events.... holding the valves open wider and longer. Keep in mind that this will benefit higher RPM breathing and power making but what works well at 6K doesn't always help low RPM power and torque. Generally for every 10 degrees of duration (time the valves are open) the power moves about 500 RPM higher. You can see that quickly you can have a motor that only begins to 'get going' above 3K and as most driving around town is below that, it will be balky and unresponsive and have a poor idle and only fun to drive out on the highway.

The L20B cam is an excellent choice with moderate gains. I think you will notice a very slight low speed loss and a small mid and high gain.

The A87 head (or the ones on the L20B) already have the L20B cam in them. If you borrow a caliper, measure the lobe diameter (widest bump) on the cam and record the width. Now measure the narrowest part and subtract. If the difference is about 0.276" then you likely have an L20B cam in it.

See the square bumps in the middle of the cam below? If you have this on your cam it's from an L20B

L20Bbrokencam.jpg

Be honest I wouldnt waist the time. Bolt a L20 in then.

If you do aca m swap you should have the rockers from the other cam and put the rockers in th same location where they came from.

Ezest bolt on power is bolting a 38/38 weber downdraft and match porting your L16 intake to the head. and match port the carb to the top of the intake so no sharp edges and flow smoothly

If anything build a motor on the side. and get a real cam.

I have a Schneider 460lift and 260in/270 dur exhaust and that should be stock in thses motors!!!!!

Most HP gain will be in your mind. cause youll drive it harder. You want extra lift tighten up the valve lash