what do you think about this exhaust set up?

20 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think about this exhaust set up?

• Hell ya I want 1!
    • I dunno, I need more info?????
    • no way jose!!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I'm not a fan but its up to the owner. My altima came with dual tips. One pipe all the way to the muffler, then the muffler is set sideways with a tip coming off each side. I yanked the muffler and threw on a y pipe and extended the pipes back to the tips. I love the look, love the cat back straight pipe sound, but its a 4 banger, so its just for looks. I'll get you a pic, it looks a lot better than the one you posted

personally, where my mind set is. dual exhuast should only be in stalled if you have two manifolds. or turbos. i work with big diesel engines alot and i have to run 2-1 , 6 or 8 inch exhuast with massive mufflers. so little engines with only one manifold should only deserve one set of pipes.... but it looks cool.

So then running a NAPSZ24 pickup manifold that normally goes 2-1 into dual pipes with a custom flange like this is bad? Oops...

med_gallery_3158_392_13004.jpg

gallery_3158_392_2420.jpg

gallery_3158_392_10021.jpg

I think dual exhaust is stupid on a 4 cyl. It's too honduh-ish. Now dual tips I could understand. But NOT those tips.

Damnit...I knew there was something wrong...the Stawag has been possessed by the Evil Honduh! Ah well, my car doesn't sound like every other riceburner on the road...sounds like a VW, a Subaru, and a flathead 8 cylinder had a 3 way and my wagon is the lovechild.

I favor symetry and eventually when I have the rest of the car finished I will have dual tail pipes, however, it will not be poser, my exhaust is true dual exhaust running two cylinders per pipe. Good for horsepower? NO...does it look and sound original? YES.

If you want further information on the drawbacks to running multiple pipes, splitting exhaust flow, or anything else that isn't the normal, feel free to look at my post on the exhaust thread to find out some more information on why everyone seems to run single exhaust with 2" to 2.5" pipe on average.

P.S. The horsepower effect must not be too much with the dual pipes, because it sure seems to spin those massive meats I have on the back just fine! While I have had most people give the set up a thumbs down because that extra 4 horsepower is worth it to them, my bored and built NAPS has enough power to get me into trouble, and the thumbs up from the v8 crowd when they realize you have true dual exhaust is worth it to me.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So then running a NAPSZ24 pickup manifold that normally goes 2-1 into dual pipes with a custom flange like this is bad? Oops...

Damnit...I knew there was something wrong...the Stawag has been possessed by the Evil Honduh! Ah well, my car doesn't sound like every other riceburner on the road...sounds like a VW, a Subaru, and a flathead 8 cylinder had a 3 way and my wagon is the lovechild.

I favor symetry and eventually when I have the rest of the car finished I will have dual tail pipes, however, it will not be poser, my exhaust is true dual exhaust running two cylinders per pipe. Good for horsepower? NO...does it look and sound original? YES.

If you want further information on the drawbacks to running multiple pipes, splitting exhaust flow, or anything else that isn't the normal, feel free to look at my post on the exhaust thread to find out some more information on why everyone seems to run single exhaust with 2" to 2.5" pipe on average.

P.S. The horsepower effect must not be too much with the dual pipes, because it sure seems to spin those massive meats I have on the back just fine! While I have had most people give the set up a thumbs down because that extra 4 horsepower is worth it to them, my bored and built NAPS has enough power to get me into trouble, and the thumbs up from the v8 crowd when they realize you have true dual exhaust is worth it to me.

To each their own on exhaust.....I want to hear this now! And when you finish. Will both tips come out at the stock location, or the side? My friend is running L20B with 2 1/2 with header, Dual Webers, 280z valves its loud but sounds nice!!! I will probably just go 2 or 2.25 I have a stock L20B with 32/36.

seen this done on a mazda pickup only they hade bult two seperate headers to run true dual exhaust. 1 1/2 in. header pipes into a 2 in. pipe with 12 in. glasspacks. It sounded sweet.

Yep, that's bad. It's a true dual exhaust, because the stock Z exhaust manifold is a separated dual-plane design. It is bad because the 4 cylinder pulses help scavenge the other cylinders when used together, but you setup will not allow that. But on the other hand, your probably losing only 5% power and 5% fuel economy this way. So it's not the end of the world.

First, I like this and would like to try it. But would have quiet mufflers on it.

Yes it will spin those massive meats because it's a Z24 to begin with. Has as much hp as the L20B but about 35% more torque 400 RPMs lower than the L20B. I doubt the duals are contributing to this.

First, I like this and would like to try it. But would have quiet mufflers on it.

Yes it will spin those massive meats because it's a Z24 to begin with. Has as much hp as the L20B but about 35% more torque 400 RPMs lower than the L20B. I doubt the duals are contributing to this.

correct...it is going to be the same performance as if I was running stock exhaust basically. yes, the pipe size is overkill, this was more to give it a unique look and sound rather than for pure performance, a single 2.25" tailpipe with a thrush would have been perfect for performance.

once the engine is tuned, I am going to put in a X pipe in somewhere to get back the power lost and help with the scavenging everyone mentioned. I don't have a video camera, but maybe someone local can post a clip after I get the distributor back in.

As soon as the car is running, I am buying the pipe for 45 degree side dumps right in front of the back tire. After the paint and interior is done, I will pay to have a local exhaust shop with a mandrel bender go all the way out the back.

this is "THE” setup for split a-series, but with 1 inch pipe( if you can find it) sounds great my brother runs it on his 1200 and its not to loud dont know about power loss or gain but def some extra cool points