Stupid things the previous owner did

PO tried to install a sound system, an alarm, and a trunk/gas door release from a hon-duh - They FAILED

Here is the mess that i removed

21413960.jpg

And here is the left over damages that still need to be repaired

32467b6a.jpg

0ae905a0.jpg

Both front doors have a hole and the back has two holes for "subwoofers" that were cut in 1/4 in plywood

dry.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

SO why havencha? ;) You go get that steel yet? All you're gonna need is a piece of 16 ga. to cut into pieces for gussets/flanges to reinforce the joints on those other replacement floors you got. Probably less than $50 total new at that metal supermarkets place I sent you a link for. Get after it and see if Izzo's offer's still good. I'd like to see you do something with it :)

SO why havencha? ;) You go get that steel yet? All you're gonna need is a piece of 16 ga. to cut into pieces for gussets/flanges to reinforce the joints on those other replacement floors you got. Probably less than $50 total new at that metal supermarkets place I sent you a link for. Get after it and see if Izzo's offer's still good. I'd like to see you do something with it :)

I am def working on it. Almost finished prepping the entire passenger side and getting ready to start getting the passenger replacement pan cut to fit.

Izzo said not this next weekend but the one after, I'll be ready this time now that I have some idea of what I need to do.

I almost bought the harbor freight wire feed welding kit but it was just barely out of my price range.

my truck had Egg crate foam under the rubber floor mats. That combined with rotten seals = no more floor pans. Not to mention all the random wiring with no fuses and butt end connectors to all the sensors instead of the proper post connectors.

Guest DatsuNoob

I am def working on it. Almost finished prepping the entire passenger side and getting ready to start getting the passenger replacement pan cut to fit.

Izzo said not this next weekend but the one after, I'll be ready this time now that I have some idea of what I need to do.

I almost bought the harbor freight wire feed welding kit but it was just barely out of my price range.

Good thing ya didnt :D, sheet metal woulda been all you ever used that thing for. Best to save up and buy a name brand machine you can have for life.

On Little Stomper (keep in mind it has a V6...... IE; split exhaust) Somebody ACTUALLY went to the trouble to do the following for the fuel line. Tank drainplug was removed, ox/acedelyne flow knob fitted into tank drain hole, braided stainless bathroom toilet water line hose ran up over tank to connect with another brass fitting going into electric fuel pump, then onward up to carb with rubber gasline ALL THE WAY.

What is wrong here??? Remember the split exhaust??? Well, the downtube (end of passenger's side exhaust) is under the fuel tank almost aiming at the braided stainless toilet line. THAT surely wouldn't get hot would it?? Isn't hot gasoline a plus for performance?? Surely the stainless piece was stregically placed there because a rubber line would be unsafe!!!!!!

I really have to take a picture or 2 of this setup.

Heck, I should also take a pic of the alternator adjustment bracket from who knows what that is bolted on one side of the frame to the engine block to stabilize the broken motor mount from bouncing!!!

I am doubtful, but could the three syringes that I found in the corner of the kingcab when I cleaned it have anything to do with those ideas??????????? :unsure:

I am doubtful, but could the three syringes that I found in the corner of the kingcab when I cleaned it have anything to do with those ideas??????????? :unsure:

i think the cool kids call that meth injection

Painting my 68 without any prep, whole paint job blew off when i got it home and pressure washed it.

Wiring trouble in the 69 turn signals, so, they made their own wiring!

Two bullet holes in the 69 510's firewall...

PO tried to install full electric locks and windows in the 68...garbage canned it...

the 521 has a w/p pulley and fan/shroud of something completely wrong, drilled to fit... 1/2" of runout!

521 also has an unfused electric fuel pump powered directly off the coil...

orange RTV...EVERYWHERE...

Not terrible, but also not smart.

lets see...... heater fan wiring CUT, why??? dunno. works now though.

2 POs ago took it to Les Schwab for brakes... the spreader bar only fits on 1 way without hitting the drum right???? not if you use a grinder on it...... fixed that with spare parts...

drivers front mounting hole for the seat.... BROKEN as in not there. a couple washers fixed that for now. the seat doesn't move when i take off anymore.

choke relay died... wire choke open. replaced with manual choke weber. so nice to have a working choke.

reverse switch wiring cut off switch. why?? who knows...

4 different style rims with truck. 2 wheels were the same. now only 2 different style wheels. ones the spare so who cares.

wiper blades? worn out? NEVAR!!!!!! just run it till it scratches the hell out of hte windsheild. still need to replace windsheild.

thats bout it for the 73.

The PO of my 75' 620 had a hardbody bench seat being held down with speaker wire tied to the ends and then tied to the original mounting holes.

Bungee cord battery tie down, which obviously failed at some point because I see the mark of battery corner smashed in the radiator fins and I'm missing one of the blades on the fan.

I'm sure I'll find more "Real Men of Genius" moments as I go along with the project.

my 80 720-- zip tie holding wiper blade on

72 620--my dad-- piano wire for throttle cable. Actually that was pretty funny :lol:

my 521-- The slider that the hood prop slides in to lock into place must have come off or loose at some point sooooooo, lets get a big ass frickin welder and weld it back into place and in the process dam near burn a hole through the hood!! :angry: Dumbass!!

How bout never change the frickin oil. When I tore down the L16 the oil was like peanut butter, sludge built up in the pan was terrible. "Oh yeah it runs but smokes a little bit, dunno why". Really?? How bout the rings on #4 piston were completely collapsed!!

Ok....the original fuse box was blown, so instead of getting a new one, lets mount new glass tube fuses to the firewall, behind the battery...which is tied down with speaker wire, with a bow. Having wipers are an option, so just push in the fuse when you need them to run, and pull out the fuse when you want to turn them off. ....Huh, I guess mine wasn't too bad...:lol:

Ok now this one is very scary!!!

I bought my 510 from a mechanic, not a shade tree mechanic but one that actually owned a facility (I did the deal at his shop). He told me some bull story about how he and his nephew were tinkering around with it and that he almost had it running, it would start up then stop. He had obviously rebuilt the carb, replaced plugs, wires, alternator, dizzy, etc...

Turns out the problem was a simple PCV valve. I am not saying that I was mechanically inclined to figure it out in a min or two but I did figure it out within a few days of owning it.

• 4 weeks later...

on my 72 620 so far:

vacuum lines venting to air (he wondered why it didnt brake very well. that, and the drums were badly in need of adjustment)

no throttle return cable (wondered why it randomly idled high blink.gif)

bottom bolts of carb spacer finger-tight (wondered why it whistles once it warms up)

exhaust was typical coathanger BS

speedo "broken" IE not plugged in

all dash bulbs except for 1 burned out.

random live wires from battery to cab

entire stereo wiring left in truck, but no speakers or stereo

heater "doesnt work" IE pull the damn fan slider!

drop blocks not centered on leafs (i wonder what dem centering pins be for... blink.gif)

only had passenger side seatbelt

badly rattle-canned flat black. i keep a can in the truck for when i find unpainted sections. literally looks like he sprayed from the hip, and thats it.

wow i just had house wire nuts on some of the stereo wires

and

2 of the 6 fuses wrapped in aluminum foil cause they kept blowing this melted half the fuse box

which I replaced with a blade fuse panel

I just got a 720 "certified" everything mechanically is perfect and all the interior/ body looked good.

TS11_r134_03.jpg

Interior looks perfect eh?, went to change the stupid vinyl and flooring and found this:

11s2gjs.jpg

Was covered by cardboard spray painted black so it would pass certification. Floor panel was littered with holes. Is currently getting replaced right now.