510 VH45DE swap?

co.dime

Erased the3 answered questions (of 14 i asked....most? not really?), this post was originally on another page, and I cut and pasted my q's without reading the 4 pages of info here. (due to reading a bunch of pages where it was posted originally)

questions -2, -1. and 0 were numbered as such because they hopefully have been considered BEFORE starting.... and its really not too late to save a 510 or change directions until the car has been cut up. I was asking if any consideration to OTHER combinations of cars and motors was considered BEFORE diving headlong into this choice. Having seen better swaps performed on a number of other cars MUCH more easily than most of the swaps attempted in 510's ....this is a question I pose to anyone considering abandoning their L motor.

If this person has not considered any other swaps, never considered any other cars (300zx for example), never done something like this before, and is relying on a shop that has no background with datsuns....the outlook isnt nearly as good as someone who has done their homework been there before....agreed?

Dan

ok..so my questions to you are how many 510's do you own? Whats a Better Swap? And im sure there were guys like you that told the people that did the 1st SR20 swap that they couldnt do it or it shouldnt be done, but its an "accepted swap" now. and im guessing you have tryed engine swaps b4 and not ben able to finish them for what ever reason so you think others cant do it. or your just scared it will work and be faster than what ever you drive. I have to know whats so great about the L series engine? if they were so great then nissan would still use them now. or a variation of them. I think you may be a bit of a Bandwagon guy...you just do what others have done and are happy with that..but i guess thats a good thing, you can buy the parts those people make so you can copy there shit. And how do you know this shop has no background with datsuns?

and if you want to "save it" offer me the right amout of $$ and its yours. i dont want to sell it but everything has a price. The real reason im doing the swap is a friend sold me the engine cheap and some guys on here said it couldnt be done and posted pics of the lazy attempt to prove it to me. And a V8 510 if done right shold be pretty dam fast.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well if i remember right the VH45DE isnt much more wight than the L20, due to its alum. block and heads. http://en.wikipedia....issan_VH_engine and as far as the upgrades they are out there and the internals on that engine are fordged from the factory so it can hold up to alot of boost. Might want to youtube it and see for yourself. and its not just about the Hp is about the torque you get at lower rpm as well. And im pretty sure that in japan they take out the V6's and turbo engines to put in VH's and VK's because they like the power curves better....but what do they know right? they just design and build them...

Nissan L20b = 260 lbs (with intake, SU's , and Stock Cast Iron Mani)

Nissan VH45DE = 521lbs NAKED (NO EXHAUST, ETC...)

..by the time the 300zx tranny and OPEN R-200 diff are added...There will be an additional 326lbs on the car in total. (primarily in the front half.) Almost 400 pounds more than a fully stock car. (L16 with 4spd)

I enjoyed the novel, in my humble opionion you are who you are. I sometimes look back on comments that I made and think "what a d bag" but I dont erase em cause thats me.

Your beating a dead horse though,I didnt need wikipedia to tell me that a v8 would be about twice the weight.

Any pics though? Im hoping progress is good.

• 6 months later...

i know i havent been on in a while. but the car is expected to be finished by the end of the month. The guys at the shop should be posting up pics of the build on the forum. Im hopeing to be able to take the car down to the big nissan meet in nashville Tn. in april. http://www.middletennesseezclub.com/html/zattack_2012.html . I know its not a Zcar but i dont think they will mind at all.. should have some pics by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, interested in seeing the progress pics as they build the headers and get the steering etc back in.

Props for following through.

think im going to run the stock exhaust manifold, and going to see if a miata manual steering rack will work? I should still have the factory heater and dash. trying to keep it as stock looking as possible. They told me the hood closes fine with the engine in. so i get to keep my stock hood. The only thing i need now is a set of wheels for the rear. might just run some cheap steel ones for now.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...