510 VH45DE swap?

co.dime

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt even really fit in a 240sx, whenever I see one theres a hole in the hood for the motor. You can get more power than youll ever need from a sr anyhow. Or if you are wanting something big then do a vq swap.

It doesnt even really fit in a 240sx, whenever I see one theres a hole in the hood for the motor. You can get more power than youll ever need from a sr anyhow. Or if you are wanting something big then do a vq swap.

this shop in denver is going to try it. i dont want an sr or vq its ben done to many times. i should find out tomorrow when they are going to start on it. thanks for the help..i like the strutless ideal.

hot tip; dont

1. those engines are tricky to work on. few people have heard of them, fewer still have tried to make more power out of one

2. they never came manual. 510's and autos sorta defeats the entire purpose

3. there is little to absolutely no aftermarket. no dropping into parts place for some headers, or a supercharger kit, or a bellhousing for a new trans. nothing. it'll be tricky to find anything, and it wont be cheap if you do.

4. that means you need to do it all. if you cant personally, then you need to pay to have things made. custom things cost 50000% more than off the shelf parts cos the bulk of your money goes to labour. and you'll be paying for a lot of that, its no 20min job to make anything for these

5. even if you want to persist with the auto, and with a mild exhaust, to make it run properly you need management, which when you consider the VH has quad variable cams, and 8 cylinders, you'll need some decent management, which costs more money

6. ah so you've shelled out for solid management? now you need to find a tuner! good luck with that one

7. how much you spent all up so far?

8. say if half of that was put into an SR conversion, how fast you reckon you'd be going already? 10's? 9's with a little NOS and a thicker rear end?

9. hey but you're right. your VH 510 is different and thats all that matters :rolleyes:

you need mad skillz to pull off conversions like this, and for it to have been worth it once you're done. its not impossible, just beyond all but the more handsome people with plenty other off-tits cars they've already made to park their new ambitious project next to :)

stay away from any VH45 1993 or earlier. they have plastic timing chain guides which break up and get sucked into the oiling system.

1994 or 1995 have metal timing chain guides and dont have that issue.

1996 removed the variable intake cam timing...

so 1994 and 1995 are the only really decent year model VH45 you want to look at buying, unless you want to put a carb on it then a 96 would be best.

I wish you luck and if you succeed then I want to see pics but sometimes theres a reason a swap hasnt been done. I know its been done before but how bout a rb26dett, Ive never actually seen a 510 with this swap so they cant be that common. I know it takes a lot of cutting but Im sure the vh does too. A Rb would be ten times as cool as a vh.Just sayin

I wish you luck and if you succeed then I want to see pics but sometimes theres a reason a swap hasnt been done. I know its been done before but how bout a rb26dett, Ive never actually seen a 510 with this swap so they cant be that common. I know it takes a lot of cutting but Im sure the vh does too. A Rb would be ten times as cool as a vh.Just sayin

RB25det 510

4327341480_a10d1523a9_o.jpg

4327341668_a08f19497a_o.jpg

4326608395_b7dc4d89d8_o.jpg

yeah I forgot about that one, I think thats the one that was for sale for a long time a couple of years ago. Thats a bummer it got wrecked. Ok then Ive seen one 510 with a rb. Still way cooler then about any other swap.

I've asked myself that... Then floored my car dropped a gear and kicked the back end out. Answered my question pretty quick lol. Cool factor maybe? But why bother when they already handle amazingly

I mean if you want something different and have endless amounts of money and fab skill.

Yeah go for it then I guess. I know a guy who is working on putting an ej22 or whatever the wrx motor is into a datsun z and having it bee awd. His name is aj and that's who I got one of my cars from. He said the motor was only about one bolt off from lining up too. Ran into some clearance issues with the front arms and steering components. The motor wound up in a crappy old legacy wagon but is an absolute terror to ride in.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

update on the vh45de swap, the l20 was taken out and sold to bob, but i will be selling the twin mikuni carbs with manifold and linkage on ebay soon, along with a mikuni service manual. The VH45DE fits in the engine bay, without any modification besides takeing out the battery tray. i will post pics up soon. the swap should be finished in the next month or so. I think it will be down at PPIR on the 20th finished or not. so i guess all you colorado datsun guys will get to see the swap. Thanks for all the help guys. pics should be up later today.

update on the vh45de swap, the l20 was taken out and sold to bob, but i will be selling the twin mikuni carbs with manifold and linkage on ebay soon, along with a mikuni service manual. The VH45DE fits in the engine bay, without any modification besides takeing out the battery tray. i will post pics up soon. the swap should be finished in the next month or so. I think it will be down at PPIR on the 20th finished or not. so i guess all you colorado datsun guys will get to see the swap. Thanks for all the help guys. pics should be up later today.

That's awesome, but you know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen. unsure.gif