shorty headers

domn8tr

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Good to know. Because I was considering buying performance headers for my 521 L16. Ive heard that you should get headers if you get a larger, or performance, cam, which i was considering as well. but if it really doesnt make a difference then i will reconsider.

also though, the stock headers have that line running up and over the intake past the carb that was for smog pump stuff, getting performance headers would eliminate that, which would be nice. unless anyone knows another way of eliminating that line?

also though, the stock headers have that line running up and over the intake past the carb that was for smog pump stuff, getting performance headers would eliminate that, which would be nice. unless anyone knows another way of eliminating that line?

Weld them closed?

Go find an L16 manifold or an L18 manifold from a salvage yard that does not have the air pump BS.

Putting a header on will be more of a long term struggle than it would be worth.

I can't find pictures for the manifolds you want, but both designs are 4-2-1. I think all others are 4-1.

You will know when you see them.

alright thank you, i will try to find one. on my intake manifold, it has the ports for the smog pump stuff all sealed off but i dont like how it looks, but i have a cleaner looking intake from an L20b that i got in a trade, would it fit my L16?

this is the intake on my L16, and im pointing at the how the previous owner plugged the smog pump stuff:

DSC03128.jpg

DSC03129.jpg

this is the intake i got in a trade and i was told it was off an L20b

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03126.jpg

DSC03127.jpg

if i can, id like to put the other intake on because its cleaner, not as many ports and the ports that are there are plugged better.

damn. well it sounds like i had bad info and that i dont know what im talking about haha. good to know. 521s had brake boosters? and what was the vacuum fitting for, the one in the first photo? well whatever it is, i like the cleaner look of this other intake and may switch it if i am switching exhaust manifolds too. would it work to swap?

so the only remaining smog stuff is the stuff on my exhaust manifold?

A46 looks like less busy manifold. It only has one vacuum port, not two. Not very much different but it is a little cleaner.

The first port may have been used by the smog pump. But it can be used for various things -- some cars even came from the factory with a plug in them. For example on base cars the 2nd port would be plugged, but if you had a deluxe version with brake booster then it would be connected.

A46 (1970 510) is the applied model code of the part, but they may have used this manifold on other models such as the 521.

Ya i was told there was a smog pump on my truck before, and there is the bracket for one still bolted to the block. but sweet that is good to know. I believe the intake i have on there is a W58, does that sound right? but this a46 would work if i wanted a cleaner look to it?

I thought i heard somewhere that the stock headers are better for your truck than getting any after-market one....?

You sure did.

Right here in this thread.

Stock EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Side note:

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

HeaderS means 2. Both sides.

Header is 1. Our 4 cylinder or inline 6's would require a HEADER. Not headers, cuz then you're just buying multiple parts.

Side note:

Header is 1. Our 4 cylinder or inline 6's would require a HEADER. Not headers, cuz then you're just buying multiple parts.

haha true, my mistake

You sure did.

Right here in this thread.

Stock EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Side note:

lol I don't know, i just work here.

• 1 year later...

This is the shorty header from "Top End Performance",

http://www.racetep.com/nissan.html

or if the first link don't work, try this one, look in the 510 section

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=top%20end%20performance&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.racetep.com%2F&ei=qUfpT4ezO6qK2wXLrIiKAg&usg=AFQjCNEUPJd7OPSfb7sY9qR6rzh1GYvEyw

510short.jpg

That long header will not work in a 521 with torsion bars.

One has to keep in mind that this header/these type of headers(aftermarket thin tubed) will make a lot of noise, and will rust and leaks will occur in about 5 years give or take a couple, depending on where you live.

I have had the shorty header on my work truck for the last 15 years, and I am on my 3rd one now, but I have fixed them and re-installed more than once, but I just can't bring myself to put that tiny stock exhaust header pipe on my LZ23 with a opened up head, so I keep buying a new header, I could make a bigger header pipe I suppose, but just have not got around to it yet.

BTW, I only have one vehicle with that header.